Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice autox tires

Default Novice autox tires

There is a complicated background behind this question, but I'll boil it down. I plan on running the Si in NGS this year. Are the stock Pilot Exalto PE2s going to wear okay at multiple track events?

My concern isn't about having the fastest tire. I'm sure the PE2s are plenty sticky enough for novices. My concern is that they won't hold up well to autox use, causing the tires to chunk or otherwise quickly become unusable.

I know the tires will wear quickly, but do you think they will wear well?

Any insight would be appreciated.

S.

PS -- I've already heard all the "are ya really gonna show up this year?" jokes. All I can say is: we'll find out.

Christ man just give it a go!

The tires will wear, how bad really depends on how fast you go, rotate them after every event and you should be able to get quite a few event under your belt before you may need tires!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Your tires (regardless of which ones) will wear faster if you AX them. Shut up and drive!

Just show up. Get a good alignment (I'm sure someone out there on the web can suggest a good alignment for an Si, but I'm not that person), bring a small air compressor, some painter's tape for numbers, and get your ass to an event.

The tires will wear faster if you autocross regularly on them. Your average OEM tire will wear faster than something like Azenis, primarily because the tread pattern has more void which allows more tread squirm under load. Plus, a Novice in a nose-heavy FWD car will wear tires faster than most people, simply because you're combining a car type prone to understeer with someone who is likely to overdrive the car. Will they chunk? Hard to tell, but your driving style will play as great a role in that answer as which tire you're driving on.

If you can swing it, buy a spare set of wheels and throw some Azenis on them, that way you can preserve your street tires. Barring that, just run the OEM tires until you kill them and then buy something better. Azenis or 'kooks will hold up better even with a Novice driver, simply because the tire is built more with that kind of usage in mind.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks.

S.

I'm sure they will probably hold up better than these stockies I got on the RSX. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    If you can swing it, buy a spare set of wheels and throw some Azenis on them.
    That's very good advice if you plan on AX'ing on a regular basis. Make sure you want to do it on a regular basis before you take that plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I'm sure they will probably hold up better than these stockies I got on the RSX. Michelin Pilot HX MXM4
    +1, maybe. Depends on the sidewalls and how stiff they are. The MXM4's are way too soft for autocross use, but those PE2's might be quite a bit better.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    but those PE2's might be quite a bit better.
    They're optional equipment on the Si, sold for an additional $200 as a "summer tire" option. Most instrumented tests put them at "pretty sticky for a street tire".

They're also expensive. Edge Racing has Ventus RS-2s in my size for $95 each. I'd probably rather put the wear and tear on those, especially if the PE2s are going to start chunking and wearing badly (not quickly, but badly). I really like the PE2s for street driving. They're quite grippy in the dry yet great on wet roads.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    +1, maybe. Depends on the sidewalls and how stiff they are. The MXM4's are way too soft for autocross use, but those PE2's might be quite a bit better.
    Yes, the MXM4's are teh suck.

Well, after you get used to them breaking loose all the time, it is fun to squeal them in corners. I might have to hit the 7/11 skidpad on the way home.
    Weeeeee!
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    ...They're also expensive. ...S.
    Actually they are about $40 cheaper than the MX's in the 215/45/17 size we run.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

The MXs are $208?

If that's right, trust me: you'll like the PE2s better.

S.

Question

I plan on running the Si in NGS this year.
    How many seasons can you run in the Novice class??? Thought you had Autocrossed in you past???

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    How many seasons can you run in the Novice class??? Thought you had Autocrossed in you past???

Novice Class is intended for beginning autocrossers. You are NOT eligible for the Novice class if you have:
    competed in more than 33% of any prior year's events (e.g., for the 2006 series: Championship series plus Slush series equals 20 events; 33% is less than 7 events. You are ineligible if you ran 7 or more events in 2006 in any class.)
    earned any regular season trophies (Regional, Divisional, Tour, Nationals)
    earned any Championship season trophies for any Novice Class (except event trophies or special competition trophies)
    earned a Winter Slush first place trophy (unless as the only eligible competitor in the class)
    been judged ineligible by the Novice Class Administrator or Solo Program Chair (see below)
    Autocross experience from another region and otherwise qualify -- give the real novices a break!.

I've done 5 "real" autocrosses (not schools, Zoom Zoom Live, etc.) in my life. I'm certainly not trying to weasel my way into the Novice class, but I believe I qualify squarely within the rules.

Jeez. I really take it coming and going with you, don't I?

S.

They're optional equipment on the Si, sold for an additional $200 as a "summer tire" option. Most instrumented tests put them at "pretty sticky for a street tire".

They're also expensive. Edge Racing has Ventus RS-2s in my size for $95 each. I'd probably rather put the wear and tear on those, especially if the PE2s are going to start chunking and wearing badly (not quickly, but badly). I really like the PE2s for street driving. They're quite grippy in the dry yet great on wet roads.

S.
    I'm going to have the RS-2's (225/45/17's) mounted this weekend on my Kosei's, they will be my dedicated autocross/track tires (not as much track as autocross). I'll probably get them broken in this weekend too . If you want to see how they handle before springing for a set, you're more than welcome to try them out, either on my car or we could put them on yours.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Thanks, but Mr. and Mrs. S. will be in Las Vegas this weekend!

Don't tell POS, but I'm signed up for the Solo Practice and Solo School this year.

My goal is to make it to 5 real autocrosses, too. Doesn't seem like a lot, I know, but there's a on the way and I'm trying to be realistic.

S.

lol, I meant it as more of an in the future thing. I've gotta put some miles on the car (get it back tomorrow), and put my header back on, so this weekend is going to be a busy one for me.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Talking

Doesn't seem like a lot, I know, but there's a on the way and I'm trying to be realistic.

S.
    Hey Congrats S!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast