Thread: Installing Interior Neon Lights

Default Installing Interior Neon Lights

Help. Car "newbie" is trying to install interior neon lights under footwells. Can/should these be connected directly to interior fuse box? Would prefer not to have connected "externally" through lighter socket. Was hoping to wire via a switch in the glove box.

The fuse box appears very confusing - fuse matrix does not easily translate from the "wiring" side. Don't know the difference between "volts" and "amps".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 1999 Miata.

Thanks.

Fullmoon

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
    Don't know the difference between "volts" and "amps".
    make sure you take it to someone to do it right.
    where exactly are you putting neons and why?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Mouglie,

These are small interior neons at the top of the footwells. This is a mod requested by my teen driver. My compromise - NO exterior neons.

Someone on Miata.net has recommended vampire clips from the light socket. Now I need to figure how to get back there.

Regards,

Fullmoon

Someone on Miata.net has recommended vampire clips from the light socket.
    Heh, I saw this on Miata.net and was surprised that you didn't have any RICER!! comments about it

Personally I don't have a problem with neons in the car, the right colors matched with interior colors actually look pretty nice. You have to do it right though, otherwise you look like a dork.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

My compromise - NO exterior neons.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

put some led's with acrylic bars under the cup holders so when you put a
    water bottle in there it glows nice....
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    put some led's with acrylic bars under the cup holders so when you put a
    water bottle in there it glows nice....
    How cute!

09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

OK, since getting to the light socket wiring is WAY out of my league - please, someone, answer this:

On the NB (1999), there is plastic "patch" on the passenger side console (about knee high). Behind this removable patch, is a wire. What does it go to? AND, might this wire be splice-able to get 12V power from?

Can't believe this is so difficult. Going quite mad in Coppell.

Thank you for any guidance (and specifics) you can offer.

Fullmoon

OK, since getting to the light socket wiring is WAY out of my league - please, someone, answer this:

On the NB (1999), there is plastic "patch" on the passenger side console (about knee high). Behind this removable patch, is a wire. What does it go to? AND, might this wire be splice-able to get 12V power from?

Can't believe this is so difficult. Going quite mad in Coppell.

Thank you for any guidance (and specifics) you can offer.

Fullmoon
    Not trying to be a hater, but this project sounds like something you should get some help with, Miata plastic smolders nicely if wiring gets screwed up.

Just do the neon via the lighter until ya get some help.

YMMV

Another option is to pop the lighter socket out, and tap into the power and ground wires ran to it.

Asking about a misc. wire under the dash is like asking about one button in a jar of buttons. Wire color and stripe color might help someone with a 99 wiring diagram but your best bet is using a multimeter or test light and look for a switched power supply. Power that only comes on when the ignition is on.

It really is easier than it sounds but difficult to describe. Much easier to show someone in person.

If you want to come out to McKinney one day, I could probably locate a good power source.

Also, are these lights designed to be wired into a car or do they just have a cigarette plug adapter. Depending on their current draw, you might need a relay or a seperate fuse. You don't want to burn up your factory wiring for some Pep Boy lights.

Regarding the neon though, I'd suggest a on/off switch as you might find it annoying. I know it's not something I'd do.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

If the lights in question draw more than say... 5 amps, given the EASE of routing wiring from the battery, your best bet is to run a new FUSED wire from the battery to the footwell. If you don't understand the question, you should NOT be doing this yourself.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thanks Tailchaser.

The neons were purchased via eBay, include a transformer, and are for direct wiring (I did not want to have the lighter socket plug). I was hoping that wiring from the fuse box or lighter socket would have naturally included a fused line. I have no problem adding a fused wire if needed.

Now tell me about this EASY wiring from the battery to the passenger footwell. What is the easiest path without removing carpet, seats, etc.? If you can get me the wire to the back of the seats, I can then wire through the center console.

Glad its not nice outside; I'd rather be golfing.

Thanks.

Fullmoon

don't tap into the passenger side airbag, but just incase you do post some pics...

Now tell me about this EASY wiring from the battery to the passenger footwell. What is the easiest path without removing carpet, seats, etc.? If you can get me the wire to the back of the seats, I can then wire through the center console.
    Passenger side tunnel. There is a tunnel on either side of the gas tank. Perfect place to run a wire through. However, a direct wire to the battery is not a switched power supply. Accidently leave the light on and you will drain the battery.

Finding a switched power wire isn't rocket science but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, pay someone to do it right.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    don't tap into the passenger side airbag, but just incase you do post some pics...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

In practically every car I've owned when I've wanted an additional 12v line, I have run thru the back of the fuse box and wedged it in one of the spades of a fuse from the front. You can have switchable/non-switchable depending on what fuse you tap. You can also add an in-line fuse on your hot lead if it makes you feel better...I never have. As long as you're not adding some high-amp draw item I have never had an issue with that method.

ok judging from the pic i received i would have to say that this wire (that fullmoon mentioned)
    has to do with the built-in amps that Bose supplied with the factory system.

The best way that i can think of for getting power would be to pull the radio out the dash, look at the wires behind the stereo, by the harness, either red or yellow will be acc, or power only when the key is between off and on.
    (car=on engine=off)

get a tester with a lightbulb and poke the yellow wire while grounding the tester so your keys or some screw, then turn the key to the off position and if the tester goes off, thats the wire you want to get your 12v from. You can ground just about anywhere but to facilitate things you could unscrew a screw and use that...

hope that helps, lol... (i know i confused myself while explaining it)