Thread: Sparking Speakers?

Default Sparking Speakers?

I completely rewired and installed a new sony system in my 99, connections checked, ground verified. upon turning the stereo on the drivers side speaker does not work, pulled speaker and placed on floor board works fine. I left the stero on and as soon as the edge of the speaker made contact it made a fuzzy spark and quit working. the speaker wire did not make contact just the metal frame of the speaker. I actually hooked up the old blose speaker and touched to to the door frame and no spark and it worked fine. Help please.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You probably need to do a Bose-ectomy. I don't think you can just swap out speakers in that system. Do a search on Miata.net. I know I've seen plenty of threads about removing Bose.

See this - http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227638
    Last edited by sammm; 04-13-2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added URL

Default More Better Info

I completely rewired and installed a new sony system in my 99 stereo, speakers, wire and all. Only thing i reused was the 12v power supply, ground and the ant activation and those were cut from harness and rewired.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by azle View Post
    I completely rewired and installed a new sony system in my 99
    If that was a Bose too, I'm stumped.

sound like your shorting to the speaker frame. It is not a problem until you ground the frame to the car chassis. Are you sure your wires for that speaker are hooked up correctly?

Hudson this is my hunch I think the speaker is internaly miswired or flawed just do not know how to prove it. I know many times in the past i never paid attention to speaker polarity this time I did. do you really think that reversed wires on the speaker would do this? maybe I did mess the polarity up who knows. All I know is that I get a spark from a speaker and that in itself is crazy.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think the speaker is internaly miswired or flawed just do not know how to prove it.
    Do you have another source to hook it up to? A home stereo receiver, a 'boom box' with external speaker connections?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yes Then What?
    Wave a chicken foot over it and pray to the No-Spark gods!

Hook up your questionable speaker(s) to that source and see if they are good. Just pretend they are big home stereo speakers, don't blow them up.

Sorry guess you failed to read the post chicken waver . the speaker works fine when NOT touching metal. any more fair feathered ideas I'm game no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    You probably need to do a Bose-ectomy. I don't think you can just swap out speakers in that system. Do a search on Miata.net. I know I've seen plenty of threads about removing Bose.

See this - http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=227638
    its not a BOSE problem, the guy fried a fuse or the speaker itself...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Default Mougly....

No reason to be mean spirited I like my eggs fried not my radio. well the real deal is this; the factory soldering of the terminal to the fiber board ran onto the rivet that hold the fiber board on the speaker frame shorting out the speaker lead when touched to ground. Nothing blown or fried what a relief. have a good one.