Thread: Red Line Oil Q's

Default Red Line Oil Q's

IF I were to put Red Line Oil throughout my car (93 w/ 145k), do you think my miata would start leaking fluids? On my 93 MR2 turbo, it didn't leak, but I didn't notice any difference ( in the tranny and motor ). On my 01 v8 truck it made a huge difference but the leaks were not worth the improvement. My car doesnt leak a drop and would love to keep it that way, but am also looking to squeeze a little more from the powertrain. Whats been everyone elses experience? If you like to say things without thinking put your hands down, AND if you think Meguiars car care products are better than Mothers, you can also sit this one out.

I started using Royal Purple when we got the Miata. Its a 94 and it had 137K on the clock. It now has 168K and no leaks so far.

Evil, you think that the redline fluids were the cause for your truck leaking? What kind of driving did you do in the truck? How many miles?

I agree with Wags
    Why would using a particular brand/kind of oil cause leaking?
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

It was a 2001 Dodge Ram with 5.9 V8 auto, and only 45k on the clock and I am the original owner. Normal driving, I dont tow or race in it, it was an attempt for better gas mileage, which it did, but not by a whole lot. I think I was fortunate enough to buy a lemon. It has been through 4 transmissions and only has 90k on it. I found on the forums that i happend to have the worst tranny dodge has put out in a while, but no one else was having problems to that extent. The reason I would believe that it would leak is because I have several car buddys that have experienced the same from switching to synthetics in an older high mileage car.

I can understand slight seepage after switching to synthetics on old vechicles with worn seals. Synthetics tend to have more detergent additives and that combined with some dino oil suldge build up keeping them from leaking could lead to seepage. The synthetic oil can break down the gunk that keeping them from leaking and therefore they start to leak.

As far as the truck issue. I don't know, unless it's just poor design with greater manafacuring tolerances that could lead to them seeping earlier than better desinged seals and better machinig of the parts.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    It was a 2001 Dodge Ram

Well... there's your problem...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    I can understand slight seepage after switching to synthetics on old vechicles with worn seals. Synthetics tend to have more detergent additives and that combined with some dino oil suldge build up keeping them from leaking could lead to seepage. The synthetic oil can break down the gunk that keeping them from leaking and therefore they start to leak.
    In addition to this, Synthetics have oil seal conditioner as additives. They are there to help keep the old seals (that are swollen from petroleum oil) tight. Older synthetics did not have the same blend of conditioners that modern synthetics have, so seal shrinkage was a problem with the first generations of synthetic oils. The newest generations shouldn't have this problem, as the conditioners have been modified. If you are going to go with modern synthetics, like Redline, You should be ok. Caveat, however, because any old seals that are about to give out anyway, just might choose this as a good time to do it.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!