Thread: Help Needed

Question Help Needed

Hi. I know that this forum is supposed to be for Miata/car related topics. Unfortunately at this time, I need to reach as many people as I possibly can. I am in need of some assistance. As you may or may not know, my daughter was killed in a car accident on December 1st when her Tribute went over a bridge on River Road in New Braunfels. Stephanie's car landed upside down in the river below. She was pulled from the vehicle 30 minutes after plunging into the water. According to the autopsy, her cause of death was due to drowning. A couple of the contributing factors in her death were the road conditions and no protective barriers on the bridge that her car went over. Based on the manner in which her car went over the bridge, I believe that had there been a protective barrier, her life would have been spared and she would have been able to spend Christmas with her family.
    About an hour after Stephanie died, another accident on Comal County roads occured. This accident happened on a sweeping curve on HWY 46 in Bulverde. Again in this case, there were no protective barriers to prevent the car from flying off the road and down a steep embankment. A 29 year old mother of 2 (Christi Abel) was killed when the vehicle slammed into a concrete utility pole.
    In both accidents, the vehicles were travelling at speeds lower than the posted speed limits. Neither location had any form of protective barrier to prevent the vehicles from leaving the roadways. I cannot understand why there are not protective barriers on dangerous stretches of our roads.
    Now I am on a mission to make the roads in Comal County safer. In doing so, I would like to start a petition requesting guardrails/protective barriers on these dangerous areas. My intent is to help prevent additional deaths in similar accidents. In my opinion, one life lost is one too many. I have never written a petition before and really don't know where to go with it. I am asking for help in getting this accomplished. Any assistance you can provide (including signatures once I have a petition created) will be greatly appreciated. If you can help, please e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Sincerely,
    Virginia L. Weaver
    Mother on a mission!
    [email protected]
    210-748-2134 (cel-you can leave a message)
    My Paws

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I DO believe that more can be done to make our roads safer. I would certainly sign the petition after it is completed.

Paul
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I am sorry for your loss too. I would contact the county clerk for help in getting the petition in the proper form and to learn the minimum number of signatures required.

I doubt that signatures from Dallas and Tarrant Co. will be acceptable.

Perhaps someone with more legal training around here can give you better advice.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I am sorry for your loss as well.

I am familar with those roads since I lived in San Marcos for a few years. Some of the roads west of 35, going into the Hill Country (Canyon Lake area)can be a little sketchy with bridges that only have the equivalent of a curb for protection.

I agree that you need to contact the local county offices and see what it takes to get something heard or to get a vote cast.

Have you corresponded with any of the county commisioners or anyone else in government in Comal County?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Very sorry to hear of your loss. If signing a petition will help, I'd be glad to do so.