Thread: Internet Direct speakers

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question Internet Direct speakers

I'm in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers and a matching center channel speaker.

I am looking at the following manufacturers and was wondering if anyone has experience with any of them. Thanks in advance.

• Home Theater Direct (based in Plano)
    • AV123
    • Ascend
    • Asperion
    • SVS
    • Axiom
    • HSU

Have you considered picking up something local so you can listen to them first? If you do, I would highly recommend you check out Paradigm. I have been very happy with mine, and they are pretty reasonable for what you get.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I would highly recommend you check out Paradigm.
    What Paradigm setup do you have? BTW, most of the direct buy places will give you 30 day money back guarantee. Some will even pay for the return shipping.

I have the Paradigm Monitor 7 (mine are v3) with a Monitor CC370 v3 center and a PS800 powered sub. All of the monitor series speakers are set up for Bi-wiring, which was pretty uncommon at the price point when I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I'm in the market for a pair of bookshelf speakers and a matching center channel speaker.

I am looking at the following manufacturers and was wondering if anyone has experience with any of them. Thanks in advance.

• Home Theater Direct (based in Plano)
    • AV123
    • Ascend
    • Asperion
    • SVS
    • Axiom
    • HSU
    What are you expecting from your speakers? How much money are you wanting to spend? Do you want two channel or home theater?

SVS and HSU make really good subs. Axiom's do have a good reputation, although I've never heard them.

If I where you, I'd buy preowned. You will get better value than buying new.
    That being said, B&W 600 series, Paradigm, Klipsch RF Series, all make really nice book shelve speakers. JUST STAY AWAY FROM BOSE!!!!

To totally rock the house the Klipsch Heresy cannot be beat, but that are a "large" book shelve. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/634317471.html I have a pair in my work shop

Here is a pair of B&W, warm open sound, http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/623051178.html I have a pair of B&W's on my desk.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    What are you expecting from your speakers? How much money are you wanting to spend? Do you want two channel or home theater?
    75% of my speakers are for home theater use, with the other 25% strictly music. I already have a 10" sub and 4 surround speakers mounted in the ceiling. I just need to replace the fronts and center to complete my 7.1 setup.

I like warm sounding speakers. Given the cost of these internet direct guys (and 30 days to preview them) I'm leaning towards buying new. If I were buying really high-end stuff (which I'm not), I'd probably look at used.

75% of my speakers are for home theater use, with the other 25% strictly music. I already have a 10" sub and 4 surround speakers mounted in the ceiling. I just need to replace the fronts and center to complete my 7.1 setup.

I like warm sounding speakers. Given the cost of these internet direct guys (and 30 days to preview them) I'm leaning towards buying new. If I were buying really high-end stuff (which I'm not), I'd probably look at used.
    What kind of speakers do you have for you surrounds? IDEALLY, you would to match them with the same company and series, but its not as critical as having the front three match.

Sound is subjective, and room dependent.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    What kind of speakers do you have for you surrounds?
    2 are JBL's and 2 are ? (all installed by previous owners of house). They are strictly for fill and I'm not worried about them matching the front 3. I know sound is very subjective. What I would love, others may not and vice versa. Buying speakers is a PITA!

On a side note, is there anything wrong with buying 3 of the same speaker and using 1 of them as a center? Wouldn't that be the ideal match?

2 are JBL's and 2 are ? (all installed by previous owners of house). They are strictly for fill and I'm not worried about them matching the front 3. I know sound is very subjective. What I would love, others may not and vice versa. Buying speakers is a PITA!

On a side note, is there anything wrong with buying 3 of the same speaker and using 1 of them as a center? Wouldn't that be the ideal match?
    YEP per THX specs, thats what you want.