Thread: PHRT and auto-x?

Default PHRT and auto-x?

Anyone running a PHRT for auto-x duty? I know that ideally I should go with the soft top for the reduced weight, but I'm needing a daily driver...

Would I be better off getting the soft top and optional removable hard top?

Thanks for your input. I think I'm finally going in for my first test drive on saturday (assuming the weather isn't dreadful in the morning).

Haven't seen a PRHT running AX yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My sister in law had a Hardtop for her NC it was expensive and they put it on the car maybe twice before they sold the car. I have a Hardtop for our NB's and have not had it on the car since last winter. YMMV

Unless you plan to compete on a very high level, the extra weight of the PHRT will not affect you. Since the car will be a daily driver, I would buy the PHRT if you can afford it.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The PRHT is the best of both worlds IMO. Go buy one and bring it out to an AX event!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Unless you plan to compete on a very high level, the extra weight of the PHRT will not affect you. Since the car will be a daily driver, I would buy the PHRT if you can afford it.
    Yep, you are not going to "win" with a PHRT, but if that's not a big deal for you -- if all you are looking for is to push yourself and the car to test each other's limits -- I'd definitely go for the PHRT.

I think Mazda has done a great job with the PHRT -- looks good, is not that much more expensive than the softtop, and doesn't add much weight (I think it's only about 50 pounds?) either.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Yep, you are not going to "win" with a PHRT, but if that's not a big deal for you -- if all you are looking for is to push yourself and the car to test each other's limits -- I'd definitely go for the PHRT.
    I don't see why you could not win local events in a PHRT. I was referring to National Level events.

Closer to 75 lbs.

IIRC, The PRHT actually has a slightly stiffer front spring and a slightly larger rear sway bar. Supposedly these changes were to to compensate for the added weight.

I love mine, no regrets, but I have yet to do an Auto-X with it. I'm probably being a and don't want to flat spot my daily tires and screw up the nice new ride, at least not yet.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    don't want to flat spot my daily tires and screw up the nice new ride, at least not yet.
    It's called ABS
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I love mine, no regrets, but I have yet to do an Auto-X with it. I'm being a giant and don't want to flat spot my daily tires and screw up the nice new ride, at least not yet.
    Fixed it for you. How do you flat spot tires with ABS?

Talking

If he runs tire class locally he may be able to outrun a Porsche Cayman!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I don't see why you could not win local events in a PHRT. I was referring to National Level events.
    Nothing locally in CS beats that Black 1999 Sport. Tire class? We'll, he can easily beat this Porsche I know, but I think he'll find it difficult to beat some of the other cars -- and PAX Indexes -- in that class too.

My point is, unless you have a burning desire to be competitive, buy the car you want. And autocross it anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    If he runs tire class locally he may be able to outrun a Porsche Cayman!
    Yup, unfortunately you are right. No seat time for the driver and an underprepared Cayman are no match for most of the people running Tire Class right now. Not much chance to rectify that this year, but hopefully in the spring I'll come out to play a little more often.

Nothing locally in CS beats that Black 1999 Sport.
    There is a silver 99 that does every once in a while. . .
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Fixed it for you. How do you flat spot tires with ABS?
    good point, however I did have a tendency to go through gates either sideways or back-wards with the '97.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

good point, however I did have a tendency to go through gates either sideways or back-wards with the '97.
    So what I go through gate sideways and hit stuff with a car made of plastic and I'm still alive
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car