Thread: Borla Type-S?

Default Borla Type-S?

Has anyone ever installed one of these on their Miata? My round Magnaflow is just too loud now that I have a new cat which appears to flow much better than my old one and is much louder.

I had a Borla exhaust (but not that one) on my Miata for about 30 minutes. After the test drive I had it removed and replaced with the Racing Beat that I still have now. Needless to say, I am not a fan of Borla.

There are Borlas on my entire collection of Miati.

But they are both enthuza setups.

Sounds eh on the vids on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jXSb7oOimY

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    Sounds eh on the vids on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jXSb7oOimY
    Jr512, mine's not the setup you're looking at, but after living with my catback for a few months now, I think I'm going to go get a resonator welded in behind the cat (there is none now). It's neat and all, but it does drive me nuts with the top up at certain too-slow speeds on the highway - 60-65 on the freeway is BS... 75+ is fine.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    ...but it does drive me nuts with the top up at certain too-slow speeds on the highway - 60-65 on the freeway is BS... 75+ is fine.
    My old Magnaflow did the same thing at just the right speed, but I really liked the sound with the top down.

When I replaced my cat (with an OEM-style cat), I started my car in the garage without the cat or muffler and thought it was very loud. When I got my exhaust back together, I did it again, and it was not much different. I guess my old cat was backed up enough to muffle the sound to just where I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    My old Magnaflow did the same thing at just the right speed, but I really liked the sound with the top down.

When I replaced my cat (with an OEM-style cat), I started my car in the garage without the cat or muffler and thought it was very loud. When I got my exhaust back together, I did it again, and it was not much different. I guess my old cat was backed up enough to muffle the sound to just where I liked it.
    Mine did kinda the same thing. I replaced my cat with an FM cat after I installed the Borla and things seemed to get louder. Don't get me wrong, I still love the sound with the top down (drove all the way to Hallett and back topless), but it booms like a sumbitch with the soft top up.

I don't even want to know what it sounds like with the hard top on!
    Last edited by trickyrix; 10-31-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    There are Borlas on my entire collection of Miati.

But they are both enthuza setups.
    I have an Enthuza cat back with a Borla muffler also. I do have a resonator in the mid-pipe. Jason (Mr. Enthuza), talked me out of the no-resonator mid-pipe. I have been happy with Enthuza system.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Well there you have it Jerrett, time to try the Borla out and sell me your Magnaflow.

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    Well there you have it Jerrett, time to try the Borla out and sell me your Magnaflow.
    I'll let you know when I remove it. It might be a few (or several) weeks.