Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Auto Show this weekend (Feb 18-22)

Default Dallas Auto Show this weekend (Feb 18-22)

More info here.

Anyone going this year? We're planning on going Saturday night with some friends.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    More info here.

Anyone going this year? We're planning on going Saturday night with some friends.
    What time Saturday night? I was planning to go on Sunday, but what's your plan?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I went last year and thought it was a waste of time and money.

Almost anything I was interested in was roped off or on a turntable or suspended vertically from the ceiling (new vette). Only thing of interest to me that I could sit in was the Smart cars.

Went on wednesday. Definately a lot more low keyed than in previous years.

The Solstice coupe looks awsome but you can't get into it.

They increased the room in the Solstice convertable and the Audi TT. I can actually sit in them comfortably unlike last year.

I swear my NA has more room in it than the NC.

Is it just me but does every brand new Subaru smell like someone has smoked a pack of cigs a day in it?

They have a cut away showing how the SMART car chassis is built. It did not inspire confidence.

The bummer was walking around thinking that half of those cars won't exist next year probably.

Going Sat morning/early afternoon. IIRC the SMART is actually based on a Mercedes A class which has a really good crash rating despite it's small size.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Driver

In addition to the car show, I guess there is supposed to be some "mini sema" there too for aftermarket parts?

We're going this afternoon (taking the DART train, eating at Grimaldi's afterwards -- good father son excursion). It was pretty much empty last year on a Friday. Hope it's about the same this year.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    In addition to the car show, I guess there is supposed to be some "mini sema" there too for aftermarket parts?
    Like this revolutionary product!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Just the normal crap they sell. Nothing special.

Driver

It's supposed to be cooler stuff lol. http://www.swaftermarketshow.com/

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    What time Saturday night? I was planning to go on Sunday, but what's your plan?
    We're going to meet some friends for dinner, then head out afterwards. Dunno - 7ish?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I might see some of you out there. Since we're swapping Cara's top on Sunday, I'm going to the show tomorrow sometime. Right now it looks like we'll be there during the day.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Default Take pics!!!

For those who are going, could you take pics and post them up? That would at least justify said person to be "MME of the day". Seriously, I am instructing with TDE at MSR and will not be able to make it...

Driver

ok the "sema" like is just the normal junk that's typically outside the show like another poster said. On well.

Going on a Friday rocks. No lines for any of the stuff you really want to do.

Default Some pics from the show today...

The NC2 was there, and I like the new grille in person (at least on the blue car). However, the grille on the red car (a base model, I guess) looks rather unfortunate. Also, the interior has been made over and the materials got a big upgrade. Note the apparent return of the Tupperware. Very nice.

The new Camaro, on the other hand, was not quite so impressive. This base model had steel wheels and a trunk opening that you could barely stick your head through.

I was pretty impressed with the Hyundai Genesis. The Coupe is quite nice, and looks like pretty damn good bang for the buck. The sedan is huge (with a cavernous trunk), and the interior fit and finish is quite impressive.

Trunk opening on the Genesis sedan is a tad bigger than the Camaro.

The new Taurus SHO looks nice, but the brakes are tiny!

Last edited by trickyrix; 02-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Default ...a few more pix

This nice little Datsun 2000 was back by the Corvette Corral amongst a bunch of old Z-cars.

The new Z looks pretty sweet - very curvy and sharky.

The Pontiac G6 GXP was high comedy with its gi-normous whale tail wing.

Ladies and gentlemen... the fugliest car at the show. I give you the Nissan Cube.
    Last edited by trickyrix; 02-21-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

LOL at Rick....

I mean at how big the Genesis trunk is, yea that's it.

I really like how they moved the front side reflector from the body into the foglight on new NC2, that was one of the tackiest looking things on the old one IMO. Oh and what did you guys think of the rear tailight on the 370Z in person?
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 02-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    John O.
    94R

Quote Originally Posted by JuanoTejano View Post
    Oh and what did you guys think of the rear tailight on the 370Z in person?
    Looked pretty good to me - matches the headlights. BTW, is that a receiver hitch cover between the tail pipes???

BTW, the Genesis trunk was very comfy...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

No that is a European rear fog light, obviously unused here. Top Gear FTW! Making me more culturally informed with every powerlap!

Yea I bet it was, you remind me of goldilocks or something, first the Camaro wasn't even big enough to stick your head in (who the f*** designed that part, GOSH!), then after searching for the whole day you've found one that was just right. You could buy it as a camper van for the trip to Laguna Seca LOL.
    Last edited by JuanoTejano; 02-21-2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to make fun of rick again :)
    John O.
    94R

Driver

the 370z from the rear looks like a brazilian chick (if you've seen the video you'll know what I mean). Biiiiig hips. But in a good way :)

And the genesis coupe is going to sell a LOT.

Great pics Rick! Thanks. Like the Genesis. Don't like the NC2. Okay with the Z but not too thrilled with the batwing lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast