Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which brake pads for non-ABS?

Default Which brake pads for non-ABS?

So I have the '04, sport brakes are stock, but I have no ABS.

For the last 100k miles I've only used OEM pads. I feel they have too much front bias, and I don't like the pedal feel as compared to some more aggressive pads.

I have heard of some people mixing up pads, with a more aggressive pad in rear (Say, Hawk HP+) and a near OEM in the front (Say, Axxis Ultimate).

What do you guys recommend for a mostly street used, sometimes autocrossed Miata w/o ABS that will give decent pedal feel and brake balance?
    Previously owned: 2004 Classic Red - 135,000 miles
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I installed OEM pads in the front and Hawk HP+ pads in the rear last April. The set up has been working well for me. I wish I had done it sooner. I'm planning on being at Keller's tomorrow night, you can give it a try.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Rogue is painting the front of my car at the moment, so I don't know if I will be able to make it out.

However, I just read about Andy Hollis' proportion valve removal trick. I don't think I want to do that for a mostly street driven car, especially one on street tires and stock suspension.

And when you say OEM did you go to the dealer, or just buy some premium AutoZone pads?
    H&R Street Performance Coilovers | Racing Beat Hollow Front Sway | Hawk HP+ Pads | BF Goodrich GForce Sports | DIY Short CAI | Mazdaspeed Muffler | Pioneer DEH-5800MP | Alpine F353 V12 Amp | JL Audio C5-650 Components | Pioneer Premier 10" Shallow Mount | Skunk2 Knob | 5000k HIDs | Many bowls of Rice

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    I installed OEM pads in the front and Hawk HP+ pads in the rear last April.
    +1 ... I ran the setup on my '95 and was very happy with the results. OEM means OEM Mazda. Don't cheap out with Vatozone pads.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    +1 ... I ran the setup on my '95 and was very happy with the results. OEM means OEM Mazda. Don't cheap out with Vatozone pads.
    You guys never noticed any weird braking differences due to the OEM not needing to warm up, and the HP+ needing to?

The 2 brake pads work at different temperatures, just wondering if you had any problems with that.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bmcreider View Post
    You guys never noticed any weird braking differences due to the OEM not needing to warm up, and the HP+ needing to?

The 2 brake pads work at different temperatures, just wondering if you had any problems with that.
    Nope. Just drag your parking brake on the way to the start line.

I'll certainly give it a shot then. I will probably pick up the HP+ from Gary and get the OEMs from Hiley.

You doing that on your new ride, too??

.....And when you say OEM did you go to the dealer, or just buy some premium AutoZone pads?
    My front pads are genuine Mazda.

Nope. Just drag your parking brake on the way to the start line.
    Same for me. I have not noticed any ill effects on the track, the street or between the cones.

I'll certainly give it a shot then. I will probably pick up the HP+ from Gary and get the OEMs from Hiley.
    I ordered my OEM pads from Trussville. Here is the '04 front pads.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 02-24-2009 at 10:01 PM.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Nevermind, Andrew was right.

Why's it say for normal suspension though? Confuses me.

I fixed my link, maybe. Thanks aalvarez04.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Rogue is painting the front of my car at the moment, so I don't know if I will be able to make it out.

However, I just read about Andy Hollis' proportion valve removal trick. I don't think I want to do that for a mostly street driven car, especially one on street tires and stock suspension.

And when you say OEM did you go to the dealer, or just buy some premium AutoZone pads?
    Link? What does he do?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    Link? What does he do?

Chris
    http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.p...2&postcount=19

Go to your local Autozone or Napa and buy a pair of 10mm x 1.0 flared unions. Put one in place across the output side (rear brakes) of the proportioning valve and one across the control side (front brake line). And remove the proportioning valve physically, if you like. Bleed and enjoy.

The Hawk HP+ pads should not require warm up. They are sold as aggressive street/light lap day pads...anything marketed as street should not need to be warmed up. That said, I left a set of Hawk Black race pads on my daily car a couple years ago after a track day and they actually had enough bite when cold to be very streetable. I ended up leaving them on all year since they made NO noise at all...unlike the Hawk HP+ pads that I absolutely despise!!!

I haven't tried the Axxis Ultimates...yet, and I've heard a lot of good things about Akebono pads from some OTM drivers; and they are OEM pads for some of the nice cars.

After talking to racing buddy, Keith Verges (runs the Apex Driving School at MSR), I decided to try the EBC Yellows this last year on my daily car since Keith said he loves them on his Vette, Viper and Gallardo for track days. I love them on the street for aggressive driving and would probably work great for autoX, but at least with my experience at Hallett Motor Speedway I cooked the hell out of them in only 3 laps! They are almost completely noise free and when they do peep at ya on occasion, it is minor unlike the horrid, ear piercing squeal of the Hawk HP+.

I know you autoX'ers want a different brake bias than a track car so using the HP+ just on the rears may not be so noisy since the fronts do most of the braking.

Just wanna make sure everyone hears my about the Hawk HP+! I'm sorry if anyone likes them, but for that price and for a "street" pad I should not have more noise than the pads on my Spec car! That's just terrible quality. If my full race pads and if high end cars like a Z06 can get the quality braking we are looking for without noise then I should be able to as well if spending big $$$ on performance pads.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I have been with aalvarez04 in his car with Hawk HP+ and they do squeel. It's not anything worse than the sound you get from the squeelers when your brake pads are due for a change, but it's not pretty either.

I may have to try the hawk black pads out when my hp+ are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    I may have to try the hawk black pads out when my hp+ are finished.
    FWI, the Blacks are a full race pad so definitely not guaranteed to be quite. I could've just been lucky! Then again even the Hawk Blues on my SM with thrashed rotors from'em make little to no noise most of the time.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Could I use OEM pads all around if I track the car no more than 6 times a year?

I have some HP+ that are 3/4 gone and I hate the fricken dust they leave and the squeal they make although that seems to be going away the more they are worn.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast