Thread: Power window repair

Default Power window repair

The drivers side power window switch just quit working in my 1990 miata. The windows were working pretty good, if a little slow until now. The passenger side is working fine, but when I press the button for the drivers side window, nothing. Does anybody know a good place to get this repaired in Dallas, or Irving?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the reply. I haven't done that, but it seems like the right place to start.

I did that several times, finally got tired of dismantling the switch and just replaced it.

Definitely the switch.....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Cleaning didn't fix mine, I had to build up the contacts with a bit of solder.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Cleaning didn't fix mine, I had to build up the contacts with a bit of solder.
    That's why I replaced it the last time. Cleaning would not work anymore.

Problem solved. Thanks for the help. I bought a new switch at Freeman for 80 bucks with the idea that I'd return it if I was able to clean the old switch. When I took the original switch apart, I saw that I was looking at a long, challenging and probably frustrating process with an uncertain outcome. So I took the easy route and plugged in the new switch. It worked great. I put everything back together and gave myself a congrats for saving the labor cost that somebody else would have charged me. The pass. side goes up like a new car, and the driver's is just a touch slower. Considering that my car is nearly 20 years old, I'm really pleased. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Blog Entries

Unless you consider your old switch fried or already threw it away, consider offering it up free to someone who might want to try getting it working. (I'm a big fan of recycling when you can).

Oh, and that's not a hint. Mine work fine right now.

Regards.

Speaking of windows can anyone tell me the best place to have my passenger side window that probably popped the cable fixed? I don't have a garage or I would do it myself. I am about to just call one of those mobile clowns to come fix it.