Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned this weekend at Hallett

Driver

Default Lesson learned this weekend at Hallett

Always check the back seat!

Jump to 6:50 and turn up the sound.

Do you have permission to watch this video? If you do please first log in to Vimeo to watch this video.
    Blah blah blah!

Driver

Sorry I had it marked as private for some reason (I didn't do it on purpose). Try again.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Can't here shit and that's what you get for having a back seat =P

What was in the backseat?

Driver

Cliffs Notes:

Two cans AND two guys? How could you miss that?

"Are they Empty?"

"No."

Lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Two cans AND two guys? How could you miss that?
    The *only* excuse I can come up with is that there is no excuse.

I went and refilled them and right as I was pulling back into my spot the guy next to me was saying bye (he was leaving since he'd killed all his brake pads). I guess I completely spaced since I had to run to class.

Luckily one was in the floorboards behind my seat and the other was in the straps for my harness.

We got very lucky IMO. At the very least my car should have smelled like gas, but those gas cans worked like a champ (they are the new "vapor lock" kind).

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i have been black flagged for leaking a clear liquid to find a 1 gal jug explode in my trunk first lap for the day.

You're line in turn 4 aggravates me. Hug the rumble strip on the left, go deep, fine the white square, then look for the right side of the track.

Were you at the bmw event?

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    You're line in turn 4 aggravates me. Hug the rumble strip on the left, go deep, fine the white square, then look for the right side of the track.

Were you at the bmw event?
    (Edit, I think what you're calling turn 4 is actually turn 5 -- all the track maps online show the corner stations, NOT the turns)

Yes.

The 2-3-4-5-6-7 section is one I had to work on all weekend and I still don't feel 100% on it.

My issue with 2 is that I kept varying the speed through 1, so my braking zone kept moving. I also couldn't decide whether to go down to 2nd or not (I started to every time my last session and picked up a bit of time, I was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd much earlier before 5 when I did this). I also was fighting major understeer through 2 and 3 which was contributing to my issues in 4.

I was taking an unconventional line on 5-6 and was gaining on everyone in it.

Go up to the right side and start braking once you get uphill, then follow the inside of 5 around (this requires delicate throttle application because it's easy to get happy and start adding power early, which can mess up 6, but you do want to start adding it earlier than you think because the slipping out off the apex points you right at the apex for 6 if you do it right) and just slingshot hard around 6 into 7. For whatever reason, in my heavy, awd car with boost lag this worked way better than the textbook line though there. Multiple times it caught me up to faster vehicles (like a 2500# 911 turbo on rcomps when I was on street tires). I was constantly on the rev limiter in 3rd going into 7.

My issue with the conventional line is that the braking zone is at the crest of the rise, it's not in a straight line (which is REALLY bad in my car) and it's a vague line that really uses too much track IMO. My line gives a straight, uphill (therefore compressing it) braking zone and gives you a well defined place to be in order to succeed. It also cuts off 50-100 yards of road, which as autocrossers we know sometimes is a good way to go. Plus my car is *definitely* not a momentum car (it's momentum would have you tossed off into the tires on 7), but it needs to be thrown where you want it to go.

The number one corner I need to work on though? Turn 1. I simply could not break my habit of braking early and turning in early. The times I wouldn't brake early I would still turn in early (which is really dumb). I was picking up more and more speed in there, but still my average speed through that corner (looking at the low speed, not the turn in speed) was still around 62-63mph. On the high side (on my fastest laps), I was getting closer to 70-71mph through that turn.
    Last edited by goofygrin; 07-17-2009 at 08:16 AM.

I agree with John. That is definitiely not the fast way thru that turn, what ever number you call it!

I left two cans in Speedie at Cabaniss Field(corpus Christi) many years ago. Got there late and the showroom stock cars were just heading to grid for the last session of the day. I unloaded the car and out I went and turned the quickest time in SSB for the day. Next morning I couldn't find the gas cans....until I remembered that I had left them in the trunk. Luckily, they fit really snug in the floorboard of the trunk! BTW, didn't get any faster with them removed.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I'm going to have to agree with John and Merv. You're definitely giving up time in that corner.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

4 is the turn i'm referring too.

2, 3, and 7 are wrong.

11 is wrong, too. There are only 10 turns.

This is an old map, apparently.
    Last edited by johnwag; 07-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Driver

those aren't corners... those are corner stations.

Last edited by goofygrin; 07-17-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with John and Merv. You're definitely giving up time in that corner.
    I went back to the data logs. Consistently faster in my last session to the sessions before that from turns 2-6.

I am 100% certain that some of that is familiarity with the track, but getting from point a to point b faster doesn't lie.

4 is the only line that I didn't like. Everything else looks alright. I realize you're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    those aren't corners... those are corner stations.

You got it.

There's a link to a clip on their website that illustrates the wider line into 4.

http://www.hallettracing.net/hotlap/HMRChotlap_ccw.wmv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast