Thread: Broken dif mount....

Default Broken dif mount....

SERIOUSLY!!! I wasn't harrassed, I wasn't driven off the road, Friday was a beautiful day and I had my car back and I dropped the top down had headed home...THEN a sound I hope you never hear - a grindy - bumpy - shaky - AWFUL noise that was coming from MY car! At first I thought I had a blowout on all four tires - I stopped immediately in the LEFT lane of the same service road I got rearended on...unsuccessfully trying to make my way over to at least the right lane, but the noise was AWFUL so I didn't move for fear I'd do more damage. So here I find myself in the left lane...during rush hour traffic...after a couple near misses - I bailed out of my car and called the police to see if they would send a police car to sit behind me with lights on until a tow truck came and took me home. *sigh*

Now I know why I was having trouble shifting - I wish "CAM..." and I made the time to swap cars, maybe he would have picked up on it before this.

Now I'm driving Nails' car...

The diff broke in your accident. It is VERY common. Call back the insurance company and make them fix it.

+^
    What he said. The one in my race car had been welded. I was told it happens all the time. Had to be a scary thing during rush hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The diff broke in your accident. It is VERY common. Call back the insurance company and make them fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1

The mounting tabs on those diff carriers break away in hard hits. Every NA/NB I've seen with a hard rear hit came along with a broken rear diff housing. All you (the insurance co) should need to replace is the rear differential housing. Be sure to have the shop meticulously inspect the CV joints and boots, as they can possibly get damaged when the diff falls.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

The body shop and or insurance should've caught this. Good luck, I bet they'll fix it.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

+1 on the body shop missing it.

ANY time a Miata gets hit in the rear the diff housing must be carefully checked for cracks/breaks. Sounds like they missed the cracked tabs on yours.

Call the insurance company and body shop back and make them fix it.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks for the advice - just talked to my adjustor, he said to take it where ever I wanted and he would pay the towing and write a supplement check. ~whew~

Default How transmissions work

You all probably know this already....but I kept hearing "your synchros may have gotten messed up" so I wanted to know what a "synchro" was and I found this link complete with pictures & diagrams. Just thought I'd share...

I thought this was synchros

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I thought this was synchros

OOOohhhhhh, now I understand!

The service man called and left me a message - said that the adjustor would have to come and look at the damage ((cringing)), when I talked to the adjustor he thought that talking to the service man would be enough...now I'm scared. He left a message and is gone until Thursday so I won't know anything until....THURSDAY????!!! It has been suggested that the transmission may have to be replaced.

Talked to Town North - cracked housing, will require replacement as well as replacement of bushings and something else...costing a "couple of grand", thus the required inspection by the adjustor. $4000 so far for the body work -
    Last edited by cArAzzIE; 10-20-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: More info...

HAHAHAHAHAA.... "couple of grand"... h0000000....

The bushings are pressed into the holes on the ends of the differential and are used to mount it to the car.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

They may be concerned the impact pushed the driveshaft far enough forward to press on the internals of the transmission and may have caused damage to the syncronizers that set between the gears. They are brass and can be damaged fairly easily.

I can definitely tell a difference with the replaced rear diff - shifts like it is supposed to. I sure missed my car...

but alas....

it's back at Dallas Roadster...they offered to fix what I thought was sloppy work. I hope to be picking it up on my way home from work today...haven't heard from them yet...tic toc tic toc...

They were kind enough to give me a loaner, a Scion which they appropriately refer to as "the toaster"...I keep getting visions of poptarts poking up from the roof...

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    it's back at Dallas Roadster...they offered to fix what I thought was sloppy work.
    Details?

I saw at the Wed Nite GTG... the front bumper cover didn't line up right at all. And they screwed up at the back end too - the keyhole for the trunk didn't line up with the hole in the rear panel. Messy...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds