Default 2010 Texas Miata Challenge

Tentative 2010 schedule:

jan. 30th - msr-houston
    mar. 13th - msr-cresson
    apr. 24th - tws (ccw)
    jun. 12th - hallett
    jul. 30th - tws (cw)
    oct. 2nd - ecr (eagle's canyon)

with another possible event @ hhr in feb or may.

Rules
    http://www.miatachallenge.com/rules.php

We will be having the challenge on the Saturday of every NASA TX weekend.

More info and questions answered below.

http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t40582/

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=353496

Pics...

Last edited by iTrack; 12-04-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Looking forward to it! Trying to get all of the details worked out.

about the new miata challenge rules posted by emilio:
    http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t42443/

We (Texas miata challenge) will be following the rules revision exactly as posted to keep the cars and classes apples to apples if you will. EXCEPT the changes as noted below.

Safety Equipment

Properly installed FIA 5/6 pt harnesses, FIA or SFI seat, and SFI approved head & neck restraint are not mandatory but encouraged. No lightening points will be assessed for SFI or FIA 8855-1999 approved racing seats.

90-05 Miatas should have a four point roll bar bolted or welded to the frame. although it is not required for NASA HPDE, you really have no buisness being in hpde groups 3 or 4 without one. NASA does this to encourage people to come out and try a trackday and we feel that it is fine for HPDE groups 1 and 2. if your past that point you obviously made the decision to keep doing them and most will already have true roll bars by then. if we see someone running groups 3 and 4 without a bar more than once, even though you can still be out on track per nasa rules, you will not be allowed to compete for miata challenge points until one is installed. time trial classes require an approved roll bar. 6-8 pt cage is free.

Other:
    Excessive Rice +1
    Non male -1
    Automatic Trans (Miata engine only) -1
    Rental Miata/MX5 (with rental contract) if built to spec rules, car will be classed in modified only. even if said rental was "detuned" for example by running 201+ treadwear tires, it would still have to follow all street class rules to be allowed into that class. which include things like full oem dash, oem pass. seat, carpet, etc., and not be over in points from suspension, aero, engine and so on. otherwise rentals will be classed according to the rev. rules set.

Event Registration

Entrants will be required to have a completed entry form in the hands of a challenge official before the first session of the day begins. It is the responsibility of the entrant to make sure this happens. Verbal requests to enter competition will not be counted. There is only one form to fill out for driver and vehicle.

AMB transponders are preferred and available to rent from NASA TX. but they are on a first come first serve basis. even if you pre register, there's a chance you may not get one if you don't show up to the registration booth early enough. there are many other classes and groups running during a typical NASA event and while most race competitors will have their own, there are many that still rent. You may also use a gps or beacon type system that's automated for lap times. you may not use any type of manually activated stopwatch or timing device for an official lap time. we are doing this to keep costs down for our first season of texas miata challenge. we will be testing different gps and beacon type systems along with an amb transponder and if we find large discrepencies this rule may be ammended at any point during the season. also, if you are not using an amb, it's your responsibilty to report your lap times to an official which will include visual verification of your timer's screen. also it should be known that if you are using a gps or beacon setup, you may be stopwatched at any point during the day by an official. if you report a lap time that is not inline with what we have recorded, it may be thrown out. it's all about fun, and car/driver development. let's not make this lame by cheating.

Vehicle Registration

Entrants will be required to submit one vehicle for the day’s competition no later than the start of the first session of the day. (same form as event entry above) Entrants will not be allowed to switch cars once timed runs have begun. There will not be challenge class tech before the event, just know that if you win your class or someone makes a complaint, you can be "classed" at any time. again, we are counting on you to play fair and that your challenge forms are true. we don't wanna be the fun police.

Entrants found modifying their cars during timed sessions to a class above that which they are registered for will be disqualified and their points from the previous event deleted. They will also be banned from participating in the two subsequent TMC events.

Lastly, please remember we are not an official group or class with NASA TX.
    you will be signing up for hpde 1-4 or time trial. (or a few of you guys will be in actual race classes) please don't ask for or about TX. miata challenge during registration. you will only confuse them and they will not be able to answer any questions you have anyway. if you have any questions please contact me here through pm or at the track. you'll see my red na w/ the big blk. wing. and i'll have TX miata challenge stickers on the car and or tow vehicle.
    i'll have registration forms there or you will be able to print them out at home.
    (i'll have a post with the form up in a couple days)

Nice! I spent some time last year at a Miata Challenge event when I was visiting Emilio. Really cool format. Best of luck with it. Sounds like fun.

Let me know if you guys would like some contingency prizes.
    Last edited by hancheyb; 12-31-2009 at 11:16 AM.

thanks! pm me if you can. or you can email me: [email protected]

here's the link to register for the first event at msr-h on jan. 30th.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1013

not sure why the nasatx link isn't working, but anyway's remember that although you can wait to register day of event, (never be sold out) once
    it's 7 days or less before the event, the entry fee goes up $50.
    so get signed up and i'll see you @ the track!

Anyone else from DFW going? I may have to drive my car down there and may desperately need to catch a ride if something ugly happens and I have to leave my car there.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I am going down for the NASA TT. I know a couple other SM racers from MSR are going too.
    M3 is always the answer.

I'm borrowing my father's truck and trailer and Johnfag will join me in unholy mantrimony. See you gays there.

What class did they put you in?
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    What class did they put you in?
    I'm running "unlimited" and john is going to put street rubber on and run "mod" for points. We're both running in HPDE 3 unfortunately. Hopefully I can learn the track well enough to throw down a hot lap in my 3rd session

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I'm running "unlimited" and john is going to put street rubber on and run "mod" for points. We're both running in HPDE 3 unfortunately. Hopefully I can learn the track well enough to throw down a hot lap in my 3rd session
    Good luck to both of you!

And Trey... try not to drive like a . Make us proud!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

The event was good fun. MSR-H was a lot of fun with a good mix of high and low speed corners. I had brake problems again, but other than that the car was rock steady. Big thanks to KenO for helping me out in a pinch on lap times. I need to learn to drive.

Did you get your big rubbers hot enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Did you get your big rubbers hot enough?
    My rubbers were best in the 2nd session which was much warmer than the last (John drove #3 on street rubber). The big rubbers are SICK SICK SICK. Things should be interesting at MSR and Hallett. I can compare times there and get a better idea of the glory that is big, grippy rubbers.

2 characters

I'm glad I was wrong. Wait till you get those big rubbers on a hot track then you'll see some real stick.

first off i would like to thank everyone that showed up despite the frigid temps. i can't remember the last time i actually shivered! worst part is i had the great idea of driving to the event in 30deg. weather without a back window! anyway's it was great seeing everybody and meeting some new peeps from the forums, and hustler is even more buff in person, don't fuck with him!

as far as results, it was a lot tougher to get them together since somebody with nasa forget the transponders! whoever did that should be demoted to bathroom cleanup for the remainder of the year. luckily a few had traqmates
    and thanks to ken-o from the dfw miata boards for loaning out his maxQdata laptimer to a couple of the guys. the rest we had to click off with a stopwatch. i'm sure nasa won't let that happen again as they may have lost a couple thousand dollars over it.

street class
    1st place: paul flores - 2:04.11 (10pts) screen name: flores
    2nd : kris branscombe - 2:09.54 (8pts) screen name: snakekp

modified class
    1st place: john wagliardo - 1:55.97 (6pts) sn: johnwag
    2nd : joe self - 1:54.51 (10pts) sn: dainbramage
    3rd : carter white - 1:55.615 (8pts) sn:doghouse
    4th : robert harris - 2:00.14 (5pts) sn:rharris19
    5th : brian stubblefield - 2:03.514 (4pts) sn: fidgitk
    6th : jacob groves - 2:05.04 (3pts) sn: jacob300zx

unlimited class
    1st place: michael eastrop - 1:48.71 (10pts) sn: ????
    2nd : john zepeda - 1:50.913 (8pts) sn: spoolin2bars
    3rd : trey rozelle - 1:52.22 (6pts) sn: hustler
    4th : steve price - 1:54.31 (5pts) sn: double 0 86

before the confusion, scratching of the head, and possible weeping ensues.
    modified class was tight and i had to go with what information i had to hand out trophy's. because of the lack of transponders and trouble getting times from people, i will be changing up some procedures for the next event. i will have a board up with everybody's current fastest lap time. that way everyone can see where they are at, and if there is a discrepncy it can be handled immediately. i didn't have a lap time at all for one of the guys, and didn't have the fastest lap time down for another. best i can come up with is what's done is done that day. but after further review, timing and scoring have awarded series points as they should have been placed. it's our first event and we have learned alot about what needs to be done. so hopefully the next runs smoothly. it was suggested that i wait to hand out trophy's until the following event to be sure of lap times and what not. only problem i have with that is what if the person that won at msr houston isn't going to make the msr cresson event for instance. i'm hoping a leader board will solve this problem and we can hand out trophies same day.

one other problem is, if you plan on being in the challenge, you have to find us and sign-up. i only need a little info, takes literally seconds to do. i really need you signed in before the first session. help me help you.

other than that i saw a bunch of badass miata's out there. double 0 86 has a really nice and clean nb. hustler's absurdflow manifold/turbo setup looks even better in person and what's up with that baller tow rig? matching trailer wheels ftw! wanted to thank jnshk (new member mt.net) for the ride to the parts store after my oil cooler line busted. you really helped me out. nice to meet tann3r, wish i would have been able to chat with ya, but i had my hands full at that moment, hope you can join us on track next time. i've got some video that i'll try to post up tomorrow.

baller status:

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast