Thread: Hallett Turn 1 opinions

Default Hallett Turn 1 opinions

OK, for you guys running Hallett at 1:35 or quicker, which do you prefer for Turn 1:

1. Leave it in fourth all the way through
    2. Downshift to third prior to Turn 1

Let me clarify...this pertains to 5-speeds.
    Last edited by miataspeedracer; 08-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

brake tap and leave it in 4th but i was running a 6 speed

ninja edit, can you do 80-90 in 3ed with a 5 speed? that's about what i was hitting the turn at. also remember only using 3ed at t2, and t8, may t6 but not sure. rest was 4th gear and 5th on strights
    Last edited by jeff_man; 08-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.

I think over-all for me 4th gear, all the way through, was faster than shifting twice.
    Blah blah blah!

I think (on a good pass) I'm 90 in, brake at 1 shift to 3rd, 70 apex shift to 4th at top of hill. Mine's a 5 speed. Quan's NC is a 6 speed and I remember staying in 4th with his. Was also at 95 in with his due to I/H/E.

I was able to give a slight brush and turn in while in 4th... but little HP was no help getting up the long uphill. Shifting to third was pointless in the 5 speed as I ran out of gear before the uphill and again was just hoping momentum would keep me going.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    brake tap and leave it in 4th but i was running a 6 speed

ninja edit, can you do 80-90 in 3ed with a 5 speed? that's about what i was hitting the turn at. also remember only using 3ed at t2, and t8, may t6 but not sure. rest was 4th gear and 5th on strights

You can take turn 1 at 80 -90??
    M3 is always the answer.

Driver

My instructor at Hallett said that the more you learn turn 1, the faster you can take it, up to 100-110 (depending on the car's downforce). If you lift mid turn though you end up backwards into the tires though.

I always braked in the Evo. 1-2 sec wasn't worth the walk home for a DE.

I've been watching some footage, and it looks like the quicker Spec Miata guys leave it in 4th. And they're NOT doing 80-90, let alone 100+...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    I've been watching some footage, and it looks like the quicker Spec Miata guys leave it in 4th. And they're NOT doing 80-90, let alone 100+...
    I think you were in the car with me when I tried to take turn 1 over 80MPH......(Almost made it, but not quite, I still think you upset the balance of my car :-P )
    Blah blah blah!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    pretty sure my into turn 1 speed is ~80, who knows how much speed i lose though the turn but when i look down before turning in i was about 80 each time.

just looked at your video and your coming into 1 about as fast and shaving speed the whole way thought, went in at ~85 and out ~70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dma5AGZmNxs One lap at Hallett. First time at track on street tires and stock brakes. Did finally get into the 1:40's but need to clean up a few sections before breaking the sub 1:40's. Turn 1 was fairly intimidating, but thankfully I rode with Wags the Friday before to learn the line.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    pretty sure my into turn 1 speed is ~80, who knows how much speed i lose though the turn but when i look down before turning in i was about 80 each time.

just looked at your video and your coming into 1 about as fast and shaving speed the whole way thought, went in at ~85 and out ~70.
    I think it's the "optimistic" miata speedo. I used to peek at mine as well and it indicated 80+. Data says otherwise. Not sure of the reliability of the gps, but it's usually around 2/100 off of the transponder.

Here's my turn 1. Jump to best lap at around 9:00 (earlier laps were slower to let traffic space out a bit).

Oh how I need to get my charge pipes and timing/fueling finished... Your "equalizer" has so much pull up the hill, and your staying in third through the apex and track-out @ the Bitch. Awesome!

Don Reynolds of Reynolds Racing in OKC says that leaving it in 4th is faster option. Data and lap times backed it up on his spec miata's.

4th, scrub speed on turn-in, hold my beer, watch this.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Lots of funny sh#y starts with those famous words - "watch this". Seems to be getting replaced with "...is the camera on?"

Good times fer sure.