Thread: Emissions Repair Facility?

Default Emissions Repair Facility?

Does anybody here own one or work at one? My 90 Miata wont pass emissions and I got a repair voucher from aircheck Texas. The car has a 1.8 swap but no bung for the front o2 sensor, so I'm thinking thats all it needs but I'm not sure. I live in Richardson, so i'd prefer the shop to be in the area. The voucher expires on the 20th of this month, so I'm trying to hurry.

Anyways, let me know!

thanks,
    pogo

How do you know the car won't pass emissions testing? Have you taken it to the inspection station & it failed? If it failed, what reading(s) are too high?

This will give an indication of what might have failed.

it failed on account of the nox being too high

High nox is generally a bad cat. Was it on the idle or load test or both? If it was the load test, the missing o2 sensor is likely keeping the motor running excessively rich - which over time can cause the cat to load up and fail.

Was the car hot before they tested it? The cat has to get hot before it starts to work.

If the NOx was high on both tests, the cat is most likely "toast". You can check this by removing the cat & inspecting the inside. If melted/missing, replace & your problems will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo View Post
    The car has a 1.8 swap but no bung for the front o2 sensor, so I'm thinking thats all it needs but I'm not sure.
    A properly installed O2 sensor and a cat and I'd bet he would be good to go.

How high were the NOX numbers??

Definitely a bad cat.

Not 100% sure what's involved with a 1.8 swap - does the computer go with it?

If not, you'd want the o2 sensor installed prior to the cat - the post cat o2 sensor just checks for a variance in the output signal to ensure the cat is in place and working.

Chris