Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '99 NB Newbie

Default '99 NB Newbie

I just picked up a '99 NB with 112,000 miles (BRG... but more importantly, it has the LSD). Still runs like a top. I've met a few of y'all... I previously had a Dark Silver Mini Cooper S Convertible. I did a few SCCA AutoXs and a track day at ECR. Hopefully I'll make it to Keller's next time to get better acquainted.

Let me start off on the right foot by being a pain-in-the-ass with a couple of questions:

1). Any recommendations on a pull-n-pay salvage yard? Mr. Internet shows a ton, so need some advice on where to start. I'm looking to replace the wood-grain accents with black. I could just take them off and paint, but I'd probably muck them up. It looks easy on "wheeler-dealers", right?

2). Surely this is posed somewhere, likely even on this forum. There's just TOO much info to sort through so I'm taking the lazy route and just asking. What is the MAX wheel & tire that will fit on an NB without interfering? Eventually I'd like to end up in the new STR class. According to GRM, the max tire is 225/45R15. So, is this on a 7" wide wheel?

The car rocks, and I'm excited to learn the correct line for a RWD car. Man, I'm really going to stink it up the first few events. I'll be even slower than POS Racing.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Glad you found an NB and nice meeting you at TMS a few weekends back. There's a good Miata salvage yard in Kennedale (long haul from Frisco), but they typically have first gen Miata's. Second gen's are out there, but harder to come by from what I've seen.

Try parts searching using www.urgntx.com and then call before you go.

EDIT - Mazda-Nissan Heaven is the place in Kennedale
    Last edited by sammm; 05-13-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Congrats on the car!

There is also a foreign car salvage on Elliott Reeder in Fort Worth that tends to have some Miatas. Don't trust what the lady with the computer tells ya -- go out to the yard and look for yourself.

Welcome aboard, got any pics?

Elliott Reeder, eh? Thanks; Planning on swinging by there and Mazda Nissan Heaven as well.

Probably shouldn't take a pic in the garage, but for now...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31305147@N06/4605437726/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31305147@N06/4604824885/

I'll likely be posting the Konigs in the 'for sale', if anyone is interested in 14" ers.

Hmmm... Insert photo didn't work, so hopefully the link will

Welcome aboard. Very nice car. All-Import on Elliott-Reeder has some NA's and NB's but it seems like they were getting pretty picked over last time I was there. Seems like they do get fresh ones in fairly regularly.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    2). What is the MAX wheel & tire that will fit on an NB without interfering? Eventually I'd like to end up in the new STR class. According to GRM, the max tire is 225/45R15. So, is this on a 7" wide wheel?
    Are you looking to stay with 15s? You can fit a 245/35/16 easily (only have 1 tire choice though). I know FM fit a 245/45/16 on an NB awhile back. No idea on 17s though. I know a few people run 15x9s on NAs, and NBs can fit a bigger tire...FM is actually having a group buy on 15x9 wheels with 225/45/15s right now. If you don't care about staying under the fenders, a friend I know in NJ runs 275/xx/13s for auto-xs. And welcome!

The car rocks, and I'm excited to learn the correct line for a RWD car. Man, I'm really going to stink it up the first few events. I'll be even slower than POS Racing.
    Keep reaching for stars! That is one precious looking car you got princess!

Is that a roll bar or a style bar and why is your garage so dirty??

Welcome. And if you want to run the 225/45/15s go with either the 8 or 9 inch wheels. It will look better and work better as well.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

TexasStig, where abouts are you in Frisco?
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Blog Entries

+1 for replace and not repaint.

Don't know if I should admit it or not, but I like wood accents if done properly. The only part of your wood package that I'm not in favor of is the cluster surround. I actually like the rest.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    FM is actually having a group buy on 15x9 wheels with 225/45/15s right now.
    That's a pretty good deal. If I want to run in STR, The minimum UTQG rating is 140, so the R888s are out. I don't have the car prepped for the class (yet), so that may be a starter option, and then mount street tires for next season.

Also, it appears to comply w/ STR class, I'll need to stay with 15". Still trying to decipher the rules. Life was so much easier in Stock Class... the options we close to nil.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Oh, and finally, my pseudo-roll bar came with the car. It's one notch above a 'style bar' but nowhere near a hard dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    TexasStig, where abouts are you in Frisco?
    We're at Coit & Main (3 miles north of 121).

That's a pretty good deal. If I want to run in STR, The minimum UTQG rating is 140, so the R888s are out. I don't have the car prepped for the class (yet), so that may be a starter option, and then mount street tires for next season.

Also, it appears to comply w/ STR class, I'll need to stay with 15". Still trying to decipher the rules. Life was so much easier in Stock Class... the options we close to nil.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Oh, and finally, my pseudo-roll bar came with the car. It's one notch above a 'style bar' but nowhere near a hard dog.
    the common choice is the http://949racing.com/6ul-wheels.aspx

Its the lightest inexpensive 15 in 8 and 9 inch sizes. I just ordered the 8's so that i can run both 205's and 225's. You can run any diameter you want but there are no good tire choices in 16 and 17's kill base miata gearing.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    the common choice is the http://949racing.com/6ul-wheels.aspx

Its the lightest inexpensive 15 in 8 and 9 inch sizes. I just ordered the 8's so that i can run both 205's and 225's. You can run any diameter you want but there are no good tire choices in 16 and 17's kill base miata gearing.

Sean
    Thanks, I completely forgot about 949racing. I was checking into Roto Slipstreams, as they're super inexpensive and pretty darn light:

http://18racing.com/wheel_slipstream.html

They may not even offer the correct HB for the Miata anyway.
    Last edited by TexasStig; 05-16-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling oops

Thanks, I completely forgot about 949racing. I was checking into Roto Slipstreams, as they're super inexpensive and pretty darn light:

http://18racing.com/wheel_slipstream.html

They may not even offer the correct HB for the Miata anyway.
    My understanding is that the slips are 14.8lbs at 550 shipped (available in black only). The 6uls are 12.3 lbs at $690 shipped. Both are good inexpensive choices.

I'd go with 9 inch wide wheels.. just roll your fenders first
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

the 15x9's on 949racing are popular, lightweight and fairly inexpensive
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

I have 15x8 Rota RBs... a little heavier than the 6ULs, but cheaper and better looking (IMHO).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast