Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attic Vent

Question Attic Vent

I got one of these on the roof of the house.

Found out yesterday the electric motor in it has burnt out. I plan to get a replacement motor soon.

Question - There is a thermostat in the attic for this unit and this time of year it never shuts off during the day but it will cut off after dark.

Wouldn't it be better to just run it after dark to get the cooler air in the attic rather than circulate the hot air during the day??

You could set the thermostat to a lower temperature if you want it to run longer and reduce the temperature more. Your logic does make sense, getting the attic down to 80 degrees vs 100 should make a difference on cooling at night... but especially these mid summer days, even if you do cool it a few more degrees overnight, you may keep it from reaching max temp in the day by 30 minutes or so..
    95 r white

Sounds like you need a thermostat that allows you to set separate day and night temperature triggers. What would be cool is a thermostat that tracked outside temperature as well and kicks the fan on whenever the attic is more the 10 degrees warmer than outside.

patf I was thinking of just having it evacuate the hot air at night but your 30 minute estimate is more than likely on target.

It will need to run most of the time to keep up in this heat - thermo dictates this. It is an exhaust vent - so if soffit vents bring air in and this is what completes the moving of air to escape. The rule is that a good attic ventilation system can replace the air in the attic in 6 minutes. That would mean running most of the time during hotter times. I have one out as well and need to source a replacement motor.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh

I was thinking about just a timer.

I'm beginning to wondering how much of a difference the attic vent makes last years power usage numbers are in line with this year and I got no clue how long the vent has been dead.....

BTW. Lowes has replacement motors for my unit.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Ohhhhh Ahhhhhh

I was thinking about just a timer.

I'm beginning to wondering how much of a difference the attic vent makes last years power usage are in line with this year and I got no clue how long the vent has been dead.....
    I have no attic fans, but I am thinking about getting one and may look into this cool thermostat. I use the attic for storage, and I am thinking it sure would be nice if it was never much hotter up there than outside. I have tried to go up there at times when it felt like it was 150 degrees.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Replace it with one of these. They run for free.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Replace it with one of these. They run for free.
    When I got the roof replaced last year I asked the roofer about a turbine he said powered vent was a better setup. (it was running then )

These are really only installed to keep moisture down. As the air cools it condenses and can make the insulation less effective and cause mold issues. Finishing out the attic is the best route if mainly wanting a moderate climate for storage and what not.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

i think Titus' is a great idea. I read that the fans can cost up to $30 a month in elec to run. seems a bit high.. a x degree differential would be a great variable to work with. wonder how much those gems are.
    95 r white

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I just replace the motor in my attic vent. I bought a Lamanco motor from Electric Motor Warehouse.

I think that even if it is 101* outside, the attic is still warmer. So, pulling in 101* air to replace 130* air is helpful.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Thanks for the link - from the pic and specs, seems mine will be the $123.00 replacement. I am hoping that is not the case and can use the run of the mill $60 replacements.

i feel for you guys the day you decide to climb up and replace it.. unless its november.
    95 r white

Waiting until November for replacement will not be out of the ordinary for me. :)

Blog Entries

Yeah, stick with the power fan. The turbines require wind to work, and when a big, fat area of high pressure sits on you, wind isn't typically around to help. You really don't need to use a fan at night. All you're trying to do is keep the attic air down somewhere near ambient like cone-cerned mentioned. Basically, you want to avoid heat soaking into the interior of the house with that super-hot air. This helps takes stress off the AC unit. That being the case, don't wait to replace it.

MHO. Regards.

Plus my builder put the A/C unit in the attic where it gets to bake up all nice and toasty!

Sam's Club had one of the solar powered attic vents (which would address the cost of electricity AND keep me from having to get an outlet up to it). Has anyone had any experience with them? Do they move enough air to be useful? It wasn't exactly cheap either, ~$250.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Whole assemblies are around $250 whether electric or solar - so that price is fair. As for hard wired or solar - I think the size of the motor would dictate which one is better. Solar does nothing but store the energy. Motor implements it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast