Thread: miata auto trans removal?

Default miata auto trans removal?

Ok my first question does anyone have a set or a book where they can scan the auto trans installation notes and diagrams for me? I am bringing the car over to my mechanic friends shop next week to start taking out the automatic from the car to get it rebuilt. poor thing apparently has been blown up 3 times from the prior two owners. On that note any reccommendations for a good trans shop that knows miata automatics?

thanks
    Sean Wolff
    plano texas
    [email protected]

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Track Dog Racing is over in your area.

http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/main.htm

Honestly, unless she has a reason to keep it auto (besides she can't drive stick - that's just a few lessons away), you should consider converting it to a 5-speed. Depending on rebuild prices, you might actually save money making the switch. Seeing that the car has already been through 3 tranny rebuilds, I'd think you'd have more peace of mind too, no?

Have you ever driven an auto NA Miata? It's not the least bit fun IMHO, and I say that having driven an auto on NJ/NY backroads (read: pretty much nothing but twisties and elevation changes). My girlfriend wants a Miata now too, and she won't even consider an automatic, despite her never driving a stick yet. "Just seems pointless in such a fun little car."

And major props on the Christmas idea.
    Last edited by Rob®; 10-24-2010 at 03:53 PM.

See how much it costs to ship this transmission to Texas.
    Linkie:
    $200 with 55,764 miles on it.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Give mazda-nissan heaven a call. They have racks of 5spd transmissions there. Don't know the price but its worth checking out. 5spd will be much less maintenance and more reliable as well as the fun factor.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Default yeah I know about the 5 speed but at this time...

I would prefer the automatic again it is for my wife not me . I have a 69 firebird and my baby the 64 jimmy for my fun toys lol. plus with my budget for my truck spending the extra on the miata is for a daily driver for her so i can have my ford truck back. Will keep the 5 speed in mind for the future when i have more free time to think about it .

thanks
    sean

Hey another question the 99 miata automatic is it electronic controlled and also will it swap with the earlier automatic? I know the bell housings are similar. but beyond that is like saying a 4l60 and 4l60e are identical trnasmissions?

thanks
    Sean

You may be hard pressed to find anyone here with any experience with an automatic Miata.

You may want to try the Miata.net the world-wide forum they even have a section just for automatics.

Link - http://forum.miata.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=62

KK will give em a shot / thx
    Sean

sent a few large docs to your gmail. hope they help
    95 r white