Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injector cleaning

Default Injector cleaning

Worth it?
    If so, who to use?
    M3 is always the answer.

Witch Hunter was good to me and let me know I sent a bad set of injectors that should not be serviced. I'd say it's not a bad idea once per decade or so or if the injectors sat for a while.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I picked up a rebuild set for my injectors at http://www.mrinjectorparts.com. He offers cleaning services as well, but I have not used them. Customer service was perfect. He was able to answer any questions I had and his turnaround time was short.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

I just use Chevron Techron before I change the oil and always buy quality fuel. Never have a problem.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Driver

I think the EvoD guys will do it for you (well they offer it as a service for Evos for sure). It's important if you use E85 to clean them periodically. For race applications, I'd want to have them both cleaned and flow checked to verify that they're flowing correctly still. In that case you might contact your injector manufacturer to see who they recommend (assuming you're not using OEM injectors).

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I just use Chevron Techron before I change the oil and always buy quality fuel. Never have a problem.
    You probably can't feel the reduction in power from reduced atomization due to stuff caught at the nozzle/pintle.

Driver

The issue is the ethanol in the gas breaking things down.

Here's a sample image:

and the thread where it's from:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-eng...0s-unreal.html

I've not seen it in my non-E85 tuned vehicles, but there's enough anecdotal evidence around mowers, boats and other small engines that leads me to believe that ethanol corrosion/gunkiness is a real issue.

Oh wow.

Read an article in the SCCA magazine 9 months or a year ago, they recommended GumOut. Of course they had a full page add in the magazine.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Default Injector cleaning

Gum Out is a major SCCA sponsor. That does not mean the product doesn't work, but just sayin.

lol @ people thinking that dumping Gum Out in the tank is the same as back-flowing injectors with super-chem solvent and replacing tired parts.

I use Berryman's B-12 Chemtool every once in a while and it's made a noticeable improvement in my Miata. I would still say getting them cleaned/rebuilt by someone like this (http://witchhunter.com/) is the best route and the only real way to get them in proper working order. I'd still recommend the occasional fuel treatment though to get rid of moisture and that "goop" pictured above. Never noticed anything remotely that bad on any of my vehicles before though. I've had clogged and failed injectors, but they still looked okay externally.
    '95 NA8 5SPD

Gum out is a sponsor, but I can say that the free samples of stuff I got from them at Nationals fixed up my mower and edger lickity split. Several guys in the know Including AH felt it was a good product, as well as their AT conditioning stuff.

I've always felt that a little injector treatment periodically over the life of a car was the best way to prevent these really nasty stuff. techron is very good.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I've Used rc engineering & miatacage. 100 bucks for blueprinted set with exchange. Someone told me injector rx in Houston was good.

I had to spend 400. to fix an issue with my mower last year from ethanol holding the needle seats open in my carb and flooding the engine with gas which pushed the oil out of ever place it could come out.
    I also had to have the carb cleaned twice on my echo chainsaw for the same reason.
    I was told to use Stabil in all the gas in these two machines and super unleaded and havent had a problem since.
    I was also told that the higher the grade the less the ethanol.

But I can attest to the fact that it does jack up your small engines.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    I had to spend 400. to fix an issue with my mower last year from ethanol holding the needle seats open in my carb and flooding the engine with gas which pushed the oil out of ever place it could come out.
    I also had to have the carb cleaned twice on my echo chainsaw for the same reason.
    I was told to use Stabil in all the gas in these two machines and super unleaded and havent had a problem since.
    I was also told that the higher the grade the less the ethanol.
    Sounds like a country song. Throw in a runaway wife and you might have a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Sounds like a country song. Throw in a runaway wife and you might have a hit.

My neighbor removes the ethanol from all the fuel he runs in his Murdercycles, mowers and airplanes.
    I tease him about his ethanol removing still.
    Its not hard.

I need to, its sure screwed up my lawn tractor.

thats my country song, and i'm sticking to it!

Does he jar the ethanol for consumption later?
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Between the inspection problems and the ethanol in gasoline stories you guys are talking about, I'm glad I live in Cooke County. No smog inspections and two stations in town with straight, alcohol free, gasoline.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast