Thread: You all knew I would be interested didn't you

Default You all knew I would be interested didn't you

OK since I have NEVER Auto X'd before...where is a good place for me to start...driving school? if so where is recomended.

I am pretty self concious about trying new things, so ya'll don't laugh to hard my first time out either....lol ( I probably should not have brought that up)

I would like to know how me and my wife could both do this so that she can share in the fun too, she seems real interested too.
    I would appreciate it if someone would take her out on the track next time so she can see what its like (she kicks my butt at GT3...lol

And a big Thank You to Tailchaser for the ride, you are an awesome and very fast driver...I loved every minute of it!!
    BTW what type CAI do you have?
    I want my car to pull like yours does, mine is slow as hell compared to yours, it also seems like at around 5500 RPM's my car loses some power, don't know what thats about.
    I am very thankful to know what to expect out of my new suspension setup as well, I thought it would be a rougher ride but I found your car to be rather smooth to what I would have expected.

Anyway,...thanks again everyone for a really fun day, and the great tips and information shared...it was very nice to put a face with the names as well.
    I will be seeing you all again very soon!
    99 Miata Black

Losing power on the high end of the RPMs? Check your air filter and also check your

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

A good place to start would be to sign up for the next S2K event and give it a try, the only way you can improve is to actually participate.

S2K also offer instruction if needed and there will only be 50 entrants to mock you and make fun of you now that we know you are self conscious!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The local Porsche club and SCCA both host driving schools for minimal money (I think they are already done for this season, but I'm not sure about that). There's also Evolution that is highly regarded and will cost you more money.
    It's hard to beat S2K events for bang for the buck! Register for the next event and when you show up tell them you are a nooB. They will provide a ride-along instructor at no extra charge. We also have a plethora of great drivers here on our forum who like to ride along and critique your driving skilz. It's all about seat time. The more, the better!

Just remember... the goal is to actually drive through *all* the gates... something that didn't quite happen when you rode along with me, although we did tear through the course at a pretty good clip.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Tailchaser, I only remember you missing one...but then again I was digging on it so much, I could have missed something.

I wanted to apply some of the advise from the forum today and just listen and watch to see how things are done, I have a better understanding of what to expect now.
    I will for sure be enrolling in the classes next year, probably Katt too.
    I will check into Evolution also.

Thanks Sammm, POS, and Tailchaser for the advise!!
    And Thanks Channel for the tip I will try and find a way to check that out.
    99 Miata Black

If you saw that we missed that gate, you'll do fine. Come on out to an event, and set your goal as "have fun." You will.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Billy, there is an SCCA autocross school on April 23rd at Pennington, registration is $50.
    http://autocross.com/texasregion/

I will be there with my wife (yes she will be driving too ) & some other friends.

I would sign up for the next race just to get your feet wet, then sign up for this school ASAP. I dont know if this will be as good, but the PC school I attended last year was really good for the $$. I would do the evolution, but unfortunately, im not rich...maybee next year.

See you out there man!
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Billy, there is an SCCA autocross school on April 23rd at Pennington, registration is $50.
    FYI...Registration for the school on the 23rd includes entry for the AX on the 24th.

^yea...that too
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Kewl!!

I tried to sign up for that but there was a problem with their website.

I will have to do some more research to try and dig up a phone # to get ahold of someone and find out what to do, who to pay, where to bring payment etc.

If anyone has any info they can put their hands on right now, that would be great otherwise I will do some digging and come up with it my self.
    I am planning on being there though so long as they have a seat.

also if I am not mistaken there is a Auto X event this weekend Sat and Sun? I will have to check.
    I may try and come out to that one too if the weather permits, I dont want to take the car out on the track the first time in the rain.
    99 Miata Black

Haha, I meant to ask if you were going to come out and drive next time since you got to ride with TC Sitting around and watching is boring, the driving just makes up for it. Like everyone said, S2k gets the most seat time for the dollar. Get someone to ride with you and you will be up to speed in no time. It makes a huge difference to get some small things pointed out to you.

Billy, This is my 3rd season (note, the first two seasons were part time) And this is the first year I took a class.

Just come on out and get in the drivers seat. Have an experianced driver ride with you and you will do just fine. You'll take it easy the first couple of runs, but by day's end you'll know how to swing your rear end around when you don't really want to

Last year I got Lugnut John to ride with me,and he let me ride with him to get the hang of the course, and to see the "line" he drives. Find a fast driver and get them to ride with you, anyone will do it just to get more seat time on the track.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Billy, the registration site did have a problem, but you should be able to get to it now. If you can't, contact Phil Adams at [email protected] He can get you registered. 50 bucks each student, and includes the event on Sunday...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Kewl, I just posted in the tech and chat section...if that works out to be nothing big I will be there.
    I am crossing my fingers, toes, eyes etc.
    99 Miata Black

I just got back from an abandoned parking lot on the way home, wanted to do some high speed turns and such to practice with how the car handles, I understand now what all the fuss is about body roll...

I had a lot of fun though!

I cant wait to get the suspension upgrades on.
    99 Miata Black

eh, body roll is nothing compared to screwing around in a 94 Honda Accord in the hill country.

if my dad is reading this post that never happened.
    '99 Triple Black

Quote Originally Posted by redbullforbreakfast
    ...screwing around in a 94 Honda Accord...
    That's an accomplishment all by itself...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Quote Originally Posted by redbullforbreakfast
    ...screwing around in a 94 Honda Accord...
    That's an accomplishment all by itself...