Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What tires?? NB

Default What tires?? NB

So the kids car needs tires.

It is a 2002 NB with 15" x 7" rims on it.

For those of you not familiar with it it is this car.

This season the kid and the car will be leaving around August if not sooner for College Life. So it may make be around until SCCA Event #5. Hopefully she will be making occasional trips home so a decent everyday performance would be a definite plus.

I'm thinking about getting another set of Dunlops for it since we had good all around results with the old Star Specs in a 205/50R-15. Is there anything else we should consider for the 7" rim other than the Star Spec?

Here is the current listing on Tirerack for the 205/50/15 - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...50&diameter=15

TIA

Pretty solid choice for autox/street. If she moves north, they might not be so great for fall/winter driving. If she goes south, I wouldn't worry much. The Conti DW are a good alternative that sacrifice some dry performance for much better wet/hwy handling.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

How are Star Specs in the rain? Maybe something more 'All-Seasony' would be a better choice?

They aren't bad, but not even close to an actual all-season or even high performance tire with full tread pattern. The Hankook V12 or Yoko S-drive are tires that can handle autox while still being true year-round tires in Dallas. They both probably give up a second on a 60-sec autox course compared to RS3/Z2/Rivals.
    Polished Turd Racing

She says she would like to continue playing autocross and a couple of her choices put her near active AX clubs so I'd prefer to go with something geared more towards AX then all weather.

She has been running on the Dunlop Star Specs since she go the car, we don't change tires on that one between events.

Might as well stick with them. You can always grab a set of cheap wheels/tires for street use in winter weather if the need arises.
    Polished Turd Racing

If she goes to Stillwater I'll just give her the Ranger so she would blend in better with the locals.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    She says she would like to continue playing autocross and a couple of her choices put her near active AX clubs so I'd prefer to go with something geared more towards AX then all weather.

She has been running on the Dunlop Star Specs since she go the car, we don't change tires on that one between events.

I have pretty badly worn R-S3's on my '03 that work better in the rain than equally worn Star Specs. I'm in NRH if you would like to drive it some rainy day.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    If she goes to Stillwater I'll just give her the Ranger so she would blend in better with the locals.
    The track in Hallett is only 36 miles from Stillwater!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I drove a 370Z with Yokohama S-drives on it the other day at work. Those tires made SO MUCH NOISE it was ridiculous. I tried to convince the managers to buy new tires even though they were basically brand new. So bad...

Tires must have been damaged or cupped. S-drives are great tires. Put 20k on a set with no issues.
    Polished Turd Racing

My 2013 Ford is riding on the V12s. They are nice but they don't have as much grip as I thought they would. They are turning out to be more durable though. Both are surprises to me given the 420 hp I enjoy far too frequently. I went with new wheels and wider tires almost immediately. The V12s are a good deal for the cost, but I don't think they'd be serious autoX tires given my experience.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Have you auto crossed on v12's, or just speculating?
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Have you auto crossed on v12's, or just speculating?
    Well I have plenty of time at the dragstrip and on the autoX course in various cars including Miatas under my belt. I haven't autoX my current Mustang on the V12s. I'm basing my opinion on my aggregate experience. Do I need to submit a resume to have an opinion? I haven't done a lot of drag racing or autoXing since I was in the Navy in WA state, but I didn't forget how to drive. At least I don't think so.

Honestly the V12s are better in the wet than in the dry if you ask me. I do have time testing tires both wet and dry on actual skid pads for a company that did automotive testing too. That was dad's business. I'm just some schmuck engineer that likes cars too. I drive, turn a few wrenches, build stuff, and hobby things like that. I'm not the best hot shoe driver in town, but I don't totally suck either.

My personal favorite autoX road tire was the original Falken Azenis. Does that date me? They were a bit more durable than most DOT legal race rubber but they got the job done too. Having them mounted on 16X7s on a Miata was a lot of fun.

So yes, I am speculating, but my speculation is based on a bit of experience too. The V12s don't perform a lot better on a 420 hp car than an all season tire in the traction department. They are more stable in the corners, and their wet performance is indeed surprising. I'd happily tear up V12s autocrossing, but they wouldn't be my first choice for a 15X7 tire on a Miata to be competitive.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Quote Originally Posted by effse7en View Post
    I drove a 370Z with Yokohama S-drives on it the other day at work. Those tires made SO MUCH NOISE it was ridiculous. I tried to convince the managers to buy new tires even though they were basically brand new. So bad...
    I ran these tires on my S2000 (back in the day) and never had noise issues. They were good tires for road use.
    Brian

Life is fun with the top down!

I have S-Drives as well. They aren't very loud right now but have gotten a little louder since I got them. I think frequent rotations are necessary for these. I have noticed they're a little slick in the really cold temps, but otherwise are nice and grippy, but certainly street tires that are leaning toward AX instead of AX leaning toward street. Those may make more sense for her if she's going to be doing distance driving back and forth to school. They're not terribly expensive.

I did have an issue with my first set rotating on the rims, but I think that was a product of poor installation rather than tire defect. I had them replaced and haven't had any problems since.

I do agree that S-drives need to be rotated regularly or the cup.
    Polished Turd Racing

Count me in the minority, but I have nothing good to say about the Hankook V12s. Inherited them from previous owner on my 135i, and thought they were crap. Didn't know how crappy they were until I replaced them.

By chance, I drove one of Gary's NC on an errand. The car felt funny to me the entire time I drove it, but didn't know why. Until I looked down and saw it was riding on V12s.

I wouldn't buy a set for any of my cars even if you gave me a 50% off coupon.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

I'm with speed. I've not driven on many tires that I like less.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Interesting. I had two different sets on my NC (16's and 17's) and loved them. Same thing I heard from Miatamoto and Altiain. I guess it really depends on how well they suit the particular car.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast