Thread: Racing bucket ballast?

Default Racing bucket ballast?

So my folks are getting me some Corbeau racing bucket seats for Christmas (can't wait to install them) & I have a question about adding ballasts to them so that they meet the weight requirements of the OEM seats as per SCCA rules for the STS class (can't have a competitive advantage right). I've done some Googling & searching of forums for some guidance but figured I'd ask the locals as well. Any suggestions on how to add weight to a bucket seat? I might have to bolt them directly to the floor (I'm 6'2" & sliders might put me to high to pass a "broomstick" test once I finally get a roll bar) but I'm not sure yet until I do some test fitting.

Per FM: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seats.php
    The Corbeau Monza Seat weights 10.5 lbs which based on my research is 16.5 lbs shy of the 27 lbs that OEM seats weigh, not counting the OEM rails which supposedly weigh 5.5 lbs. I know I'm going to have to weigh the Corbeau brackets to get my final weight requirements but I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on adding weight so that it's in the same location as the seat w/o adding any additional height.

Seats:

Seat brackets:
    http://corbeau.com/mazda-miata-90-97-seat-brackets.html

FYI, these are going into a 90 Miata.

Once you add the rails and brackets they will probably end up at 25lbs.

If you are still under 25lbs, just bolt a piece of plate steel to the floor to ballast. I think that will cover all your bases.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Once you add the rails and brackets they will probably end up at 25lbs.

If you are still under 25lbs, just bolt a piece of plate steel to the floor to ballast. I think that will cover all your bases.
    Actually you can't add ballast to the car. You have to add the ballast to the seat.

B. The driver and front passenger seats may be replaced with the fol- lowing restrictions. The seating surface must be fully upholstered. The top of the seat, or an attached headrest, may not be below the center of the driver’s head. The seat, including mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 pounds and must be attached using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional mounting points may be add- ed.
    Rulez are hard......
    Last edited by POS Racing; 11-07-2014 at 10:14 AM.

My bad. Add it to the bottom of the seat. itself, or build it into your brackets.
    Polished Turd Racing

That's I'm trying to figure out if anyone has any suggestions on how to do it. I've got some ideas for welding/bolting heavy metal pieces to the brackets but was hoping someone had done it before whom I could learn from their experiences.

A strap of flat bar between two of the bolt holes on the bottom with some weight welded to it would be sufficient. If you have side mounts on the seats, that's even easier. I used side mounts for my Corbeau seat, and they brought the weight up to the min on their own. I think they are still for sale on this forum somewhere.
    Polished Turd Racing

Are you sure that weight is right? Seems pretty light.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

^agreed. I've found that most race seats (other than CF or Kirkey) are pretty much over 25 lbs with the cover/padding and bracketry, but maybe this one is lighter than most.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    A strap of flat bar between two of the bolt holes on the bottom with some weight welded to it would be sufficient. If you have side mounts on the seats, that's even easier. I used side mounts for my Corbeau seat, and they brought the weight up to the min on their own. I think they are still for sale on this forum somewhere.
    That's a good idea. Do you have a link for the Corbeau side mounts post?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Are you sure that weight is right? Seems pretty light.
    I'll weigh them once I actually get them but based on Flyin' Miata's seat specs, they weight 10.5lbs each w/o rails. I won't know for sure until I get them & the brackets to weigh. I'm just trying to get a gameplan ready so that I can install them before autoX starts next season.

My kirkey is about 9lbs w/cover.. 19lbs w/ homemade bracket ... And 29lbs with 10 pound weight ballast bolted to it

Damn he beat me too it! ^

I was going to say theres no way those seats are 10lbs as this seat is 9.15lbs and it is full of holes! your looking at more like 20lbs for that seat.

Dive weights