Thread: Oil leak and failed heater hoses....how long?

Default Oil leak and failed heater hoses....how long?

So, lots of chatter in the m.world about heater hoses failing due to oil leaking on them from a failed cam cover gasket or CAS o-ring. What's the time frame of oil leak to failure? Hours, days, weeks, or months?

Recent oil leak (couple of weeks maybe), but do I need to park it until it warms enough (maybe next weekend) to change-out the gasket/o-ring for fear of catastrophic hose failure and the potential for over-heating damage and/or costly tow bill.

What say yee??

bob

Worst case, weeks.

When I bought my track car, it had a nasty CAS O-ring leak that had probably been there for a couple of years and the heater hose was just starting to swell from the oil bath. Oil soaked hoses swell before they let go, so just keep an eye on it. As long as the heater hose dimensions are unchanged and it feels pliable to a squeeze test, it still has plenty of strength.
    Last edited by hornetball; 03-01-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

My experience is the same as hornetball's. The heater hose got very swollen and mushy before it let go, at about 70 mph on the highway. This happened about a month after I bought the car. With the help of a friend, we got it to a safe place until I could get my recovery vehicle and get it home to my shop.

Keep an eye on the hose.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Fast leak? Slow leak? Leaked continuously? Cleaned up after a short time? Old hoses? New hoses? Cold and unused? Driven daily? It all plays into the timeline. If the hoses oil-soak, they are done and will eventually swell and burst. If you can clean them off before the oil penetrates the rubber, they will last longer. Don't use any oil or solvent based cleaners to remove the oil from the hoses.
    Jason McDaniel

Slow leak. Hoses are probably original. I just inspected them and they look good. Could not feel any oil on the one that disappears behind the engine and below the CAS.

Prolly get replacements at NAPA and change them next week too.

b.

If it was me I'd park it until I could fix it..

Running at speed and you blow a heater hose the chances of cooking your motor rises exponentially.

Just a thought...any reason why I couldn't wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the exposed hose to protect it from further oil drips?

Hoses are more than likely already oil soaked since you say the Recent oil leak (couple of weeks maybe) didn't just occur.

I take it this is your only car.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Hoses are more than likely already oil soaked since you say the Recent oil leak (couple of weeks maybe) didn't just occur.

I take it this is your only car.
    No, not only car. Just preferred daily driver. Hoses are firm and dry with the exception of dust/dirt. Is there a way to tell if they are oil soaked? I'm not one to gamble but not one to over react either.

I bought a motor in my youth due to a simple hose failure so I have past experience to use as my guide. Heck I'm one of those who changes antifreeze every couple of years and replaces the hoses every five years so I don't have to buy another motor.

You asked for opinions and ya got a few. So at this point do whatever you want to do.

Actually, i was hoping for facts not opinions. But, opinions are appreciated none the less...and may even protect me from myself.

Cheers,

Bob.

I would not worry too much about them based on your description and knowing how clean your cars are. You're meticulous enough that I beleive you when you say it's a new leak. Definitely address it eventually, but they are not likely to burst right away. The mushy hose is pretty unmistakable.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I'll be picking up the hoses tomorrow during lunch, then plan is to do the R&R on the weekend when it warms up.

cheer,

bob