Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miatas@Hallett 2004

Default Miatas@Hallett 2004

I got an email from Jim Hemphill with the Miata Club of Arkansas announcing their "Miatas@Hallet" open track event for 2004. Those of you who didn't come with us last year really missed out on a fun event at a great track with lots of cool people. Don't miss out this year - sign up now!

One really cool feature of this event is the availability of transponders. No more guessing as to which lap was faster or how you stack up - get a printed sheet after each session with all of your laptimes... plus the laptimes of everyone else in your run group!

If you've never been to Hallett, it's a wonderful track! Lots of elevation changes, a few blind corners, and great "flow". It is a challenging track, but it is definitely worth the effort. If I can find another daily driver before Spetember, I'll definitely be there!

Here's the official web page.

Here's the details:

Grassroots performance driving academy at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, Oklahoma, September 11, 2004. This is not racing. It is performance driving instruction and hands on practice in your Miata. It is on private property under controlled conditions.

Capacity is 100 participants in the track sessions and an unlimited number in the single touring session. Each participant registered for track will receive four 20 minute sessions. There will be a bonus fifth session for experienced drivers and transponder equipped cars.

Drivers will be placed into four experience categories according to self-assessment on the registration form. From least to most experience, the groups are: 1, 2, 3, and Experienced. The experienced group requires a roll bar. It is important that drivers accurately mark their ability with a prominent X on the experience scale in the registration form. If you have had a previous track day, you are not a first timer. Do not sandbag to feel good visa-via other drivers on the track. Many of you will be highend novice or intermediate. Club level drivers with no roll bar will be upper end of intermediate.

Helmets are required for track drivers and passengers. Some loaner helmets will be available.
    Ride along driving instructors will be available.
    Transponders will be available at extra cost the day of the event. An effort will be made to provide transponder equipped cars several traffic-free laps for timing in the add-on fifth session
    All cars must pass tech inspection using included form.
    A single car may be used by two drivers in different experience groups
    Cars equipped with racing tires must have roll bars
    First timers and novices are avidly encouraged to participate at their level of comfort
    Official event is Saturday, September 11.
    Optional pre-event tech inspection, Friday afternoon, September 10.
    Optional pre-event dinner and training session (at extra cost) Friday evening, September 10
    Event headquarters: Hampton Inn Sand Springs, 7852 West Parkway Boulevard
    Tulsa, OK 74127, 918-245-8500. Fifty rooms are blocked for Miatas@Hallett at discount rates, $59 plus tax for a king. By phone, state you are with Arkansas Miata Club.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hmm sounds cool. Was the entry $150 last year as well? Kinda makes the PCA event look like a good deal.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I'm in like Flynn. I heard Hallett was a fun track and I'm looking for variety.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I ran up there in November with a group out of OKC with various cars and had an absolute blast...

FWIW, the track can be rented any weekday for stupid cheap.

We had a group of 20 cars, paid $1000 total, plus $200 for corner workers. Transpoders were available for $20 (and you coudl share with cars not in yoru run group)

We were only allowed 5 cars on track at a time (for the amount of insurance we purchased) but that left us with 4 run groups. It was an absolute blast.

I'd highly reccommend it if you've got the time and $$.. I'll probably jump on that. :)

Side note... If you're interested in setting up a DFW miata day at Hallet, thats' entirely possible too...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    Hmm sounds cool. Was the entry $150 last year as well? Kinda makes the PCA event look like a good deal.
    Entry last year was $100, but Jim explained that Mazda USA was not willing to offer any financial assistance for this year's event (while they did last year), which explains the increase in cost.

Heck, I'd still go for $150. Hallett is an awesome track - probably my favorite out of all the ones I've had a chance to drive.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If anyone wants to set up a DFW Miata day with the "stupid cheap" weekday rental rates as described by RX7gslse, I'd be interested in that, and bet I could round up a couple of others.. I would prefer the smaller groups until I get more experience (only one day at MSR under my belt so far)... Open track is awesome and addictivel.
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    If anyone wants to set up a DFW Miata day with the "stupid cheap" weekday rental rates as described by RX7gslse, I'd be interested in that, and bet I could round up a couple of others.. I would prefer the smaller groups until I get more experience (only one day at MSR under my belt so far)... Open track is awesome and addictivel.
    Interest here too, eh?

Heres the details (sorta)
    http://www.hallettracing.com/trackrental.html

It says "limit 5 cars" but that mean 5 cars on track at the same time... (or it has when we've been out there.)

We've been talking about getting a group form DFW to go run up there this summer already. I've got one of the drivers edge instructors who is more than willing to come up with us and pass out some pointers etc as well....

OF course.. We weren't planninga a miata only event.. but they can come play too!

I would love to go to Hallet with 5 cars on track!

Somebody's gonna have to design the T-shirt, though.

ok, Hadn't thought about this in months....

anyone interested in running this event this year? Sign up time is upon us.. they've only got 34 cars as of today..

I'm debating it... I haven't run at hallet in a year, and never in this car..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Day of the week is immaterial for me, so I'd rather pony up $50 for a weekday than $150 (?!) for a weekend day. Am I in the minority here?

I love to go, but I have no track experience!
    Gabriel

I've raced Hallett on two wheels dozens of times. I have the scars and the Xrays to prove it.

She's a treacherous mistress when you're on two wheels.....and I'll be visiting her for two days in the middle of September on my R1..... (425# and 155 rwhp..... I really hope it doesn't rain.)

The track would be faboo on 4 wheels though....
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    I love to go, but I have no track experience!
    Read the info on the link.... it's not really racing.... it's the perfect venue for you to get some track experience with instruction.
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Hey Guys! Some of you know me, some don't.

I am going to Hallett this weekend. It's going to be a blast, they still have space available. Last year was great! Look for the Black and Red with 333 on the side!

I plan on leaving Friday, around 11am and meeting Dad up there by 3-4.

Hope to see some of you out there! Hallett is as much fun as MSR for sure.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Welcome to the forum, sharpie!

'Fraid I'm not going to make it this year, so you guys be safe and have a beer for me, will ya? I had a great time last year.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Welcome to the forum, sharpie!

'Fraid I'm not going to make it this year, so you guys be safe and have a beer for me, will ya? I had a great time last year.
    Thanks Iain! Doesn't look like many people are going. Guess the extra $50 scared them off. It'll still be worth it. My dad and I haven't been on a track together in a few years.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Hey! Welcome to the forum...

Glad to have someone else on here up North... Seems everyone else is almost in Mexico! (They call us almost in Oklahoma)

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Hey RJ, Only problem with living in Denton is the extra time it takes to get where everyone is meeting, but I've been doing it long enough. I have 212,000 miles after this weekend!

Chris Sharpie Sharp
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast