Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Event: S2K Autocross - Mineral Wells - 2/28/2004

So far 11 Miatas! Not Bad! :afro:

http://www.dlbracing.com/nts2koc/dri...px?EventID=954

Anyone notice that Dean Yamada (who used to drive that old blue IROC Camaro) has also succumbed to the lure of the STi?

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Also, I think we have a new player... there's a Toan Nguyen in a red 2001 coming out to join us.

Also, there are no 2004 S2000's registered. Too bad... I'd like to see them both side-by-side, just to see the differences.

BTW, did you read in Fasttrac / Sports Car where the SEB is reclassing the S2000's to AS? If the Mazdaspeed Miata goes into BS -- which I think is where it's going -- it just might be a class killer . After all, as much as the S2000 guys don't like to admit it, the current Miata is a pretty close competitor in autocross. So what I'm saying is if you classed the current Miata in BS, we'd give the 2003 class killer -- the S2000 -- a lot of trouble. Add a little boost and a little mid-level torque, and I think the MS Miata just might get the 2003 and prior S2000... which means, the MS Miata would be real contenders for the BS crown.

Fast forward to 2004. The S2000's are moved up (along with the Boxter) to AS. The MS Miata joins BS -- along with the RX8. It could be interesting... if anyone comes in to campaign a MS Miata.

If it weren't for those *#&$**#(@*#& 17 inch wheels, I'd be all over that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    So what I'm saying is if you classed the current Miata in BS, we'd give the 2003 class killer -- the S2000 -- a lot of trouble. Add a little boost and a little mid-level torque, and I think the MS Miata just might get the 2003 and prior S2000... which means, the MS Miata would be real contenders for the BS crown.

Fast forward to 2004. The S2000's are moved up (along with the Boxter) to AS. The MS Miata joins BS -- along with the RX8. It could be interesting... if anyone comes in to campaign a MS Miata.
    A couple of problems with that. The Mazdaspeed Miata might have quite a bit more mid-range torque than a typical CS Miata, but it also sounds like it's going to weigh a good 250-300 pounds more than a competitive '99 Sport in CS trim, and it's saddled with a really weird wheel size that is going to do nothing to help it in Stock trim.

One of the primary reasons that the C Stock Miatas are as fast as they are is because they've got decent tire sizes and relatively light weight for their power in Stock trim. The Mazdaspeed isn't going to benefit from any wider available tires, and it's got more weight and power. All the power in the world won't help you if you can't put it to the ground effectively, and the extra weight is going to be detrimental in transitions and braking.

In addition, the 350Z and the Z4 are still going to be classed in B Stock. These cars are still relatively new, but there are some people campaigning them - effectively - against the current S2000s in B Stock. Mark Sipe comes to mind (look who won the Atlanta Pro in BS and what he's driving). Give these cars a little more development time and a wider base of top-level competitors, and I think they'll be very tought to beat. These cars have more weight, but they've got more power, torque, and much wider Stock-legal tires to help them out.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect the Mazdaspeed to be a class killer in B Stock. A contender, maybe, but not a class killer. Personally, I doubt that it will be much faster than a well prepped '99 Sport, Stock to Stock.
    Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Beware the power of a turbo. :heckle: :heckle: .

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Personally, I doubt that it will be much faster than a well prepped '99 Sport, Stock to Stock.
    Iain
    Really... I'm not figuring the MS Miata going to be massively quicker, but the car wouldn't have to be much quicker to really give BS fits -- if you are comparing the MS Miata to the current class killer, the 2003- S2000. You've got a good point about the 350Z and perhaps the Z4 as well. Both are pigs (IMHO), but both have a lot more power:

• - 350Z base (lightest available) 3,200lbs, 287hp 11.2 P/W ratio
      - Z4 3.0 3,000lbs, 225hp 13.3 P/W ratio
      - MS Miata (est) 2,550lbs (100 lbs more than current LS), 175hp 14.6 P/W ratio
      - Z4 2.5 3,000lbs, 184hp 16.3 P/W ratio

That puts the MS Miata pretty much in the middle. Of course, paper calculations rarely translate into anything very useful in autocross. We'll have to see if the MS Miata on those 17" wagon wheels still maintains the Miata's nimbleness. I agree that this is a big problem for the car. BTW, the S2000 crowd isn't all that happy that their car has gone to 17" wheels either. Darn "bling-bling" factor.

Well, you're probably right, but I guess time will tell. The problem for us is that we may not see any MS Miatas at AXs anytime soon .

- MS Miata (est) 2,550lbs (100 lbs more than current LS), 175hp 14.6 P/W ratio

That puts the MS Miata pretty much in the middle. Of course, paper calculations rarely translate into anything very useful in autocross. We'll have to see if the MS Miata on those 17" wagon wheels still maintains the Miata's nimbleness.

Well, you're probably right, but I guess time will tell. The problem for us is that we may not see any MS Miatas at AXs anytime soon .
    Don't forget the Mazda Factor, they are soooo good at Horsepower ratings I wound not be terribly surprised if they miss on this car also.....

Actually I do believe rx7gslse should have his in time for a few AX's this season! So we will be able to get a good ideal on what the car is capable of doing around some cones!

So rx7gslse when is Mazda saying you should be getting your car???

Suspension Modder

Also, I think we have a new player... there's a Toan Nguyen in a red 2001 coming out to join us.
    LOL, yeah that would be this noob... :)

I'll be going to my first ever autox this sunday (ER) and the s2k one will be my second one. Anyone wanna give me some advice when I'm there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tn

I'll be going to my first ever autox this sunday (ER) and the s2k one will be my second one. Anyone wanna give me some advice when I'm there?
    I'll be at both of those events as well as a couple other folks, look for us at the events!

We will be the guys in the Miatas! !

We would be more than happy to help ya any way we can!

Mick

Welcome.

Careful what you ask for. I wouldn't trust most of these guys for autocrossing advice. :P

Iain
    Iain

Never trust anyone in a green Miata. Especially if they are balding or have gray hair.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome Tn! Don't feel alone. I'm a nooB too! I have only run in 1 AX, and that was last November. See ya' at the S2K event! My advice is to have fun! Once you get that first run under your belt, you'll be hooked! (I would say something about listening to the wisdom of these guys, but don't want to give them big heads!)

FANTASTIC! I'm glad you joined our little board and will be coming out to play.

As you can probably tell from most of the "noise" on this forum, nobody here has anything useful/helpful to say , but when you get to the AX in Miserable Wells, be sure and park next to the rest of us Miata pilots. All kidding aside, we're a friendly bunch, and easy to talk with. I'd really encourage you to:
    • - Walk the course with us. We'll show you what to look out for.
      - Ride in the passenger seat with an experienced Miata Pilot before you go out. Any one of us would be happy to take you out. altiain is a particularly good choice, as he's an instructor at a couple of local AX and performance driving "schools". He took me around for the first time (two years ago) and scared me to death ... but it showed me what a Miata can really do.
      - Have one of us ride with you on you first couple of runs. From your drivers seat, it will look like a confusing sea of cones that first time or two. I know it's a little... uncomfortable... having someone you barely know in the car with you, but it will help you get over the initial learning curve a lot faster. I can't tell you how many times we've all seen virgins... ah,er,um... noobs get lost on course. Having an experience autocrosser will help you navigate those silly orange pointy things much better!

There is a McDonalds on 180 just past the right-hander you'll make on 1198 to get to the Airpark. I typically get there around 7:00am for breakfast. You -- and anyone else that's hungry -- are welcome to join me there for a bite to eat!

Lastly, if you'd like a map to the location, I have one already drawn up in a WORD document. It's not hard to get there, but a map is always nice to have.

I'm looking forward to meeting you out there!

Kestrel
    '99 Twilight Blue Mica
    4cs

Suspension Modder

I'm glad to know that you guys are so willing to help. My biggest is getting lost in that sea of cones lol

See you guys there!

I am late The registration is closed Does anyone know there is any chance that I can come and play

Gab Kwong

Keep checking... a spot may open up

Tailchaser, How?

Oh... Can't check the list unless you're registered... There are 52 out of 50 signed up... I'll let you know if a spot opens.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast