Thread: Brake pad recommendations?

Default Brake pad recommendations?

The HP Plus is the worst pads I've experienced. Everyone else seems to love them so of course I get a bad set or somehow managed to screw'em up. Broke them in then drove to Hallett the 2 days later. They made minimal noise the first day, then a bit more and now they squeal so bad you can hear them a mile away! I tried using a sander to remove a layer of material on the pads in case I glazed them at the track or as Gary said there may be a particle in the material causing the squeal. Didn't work so I took the damn things off and called Hawk. Explained the break in and that I did a track day 3 days after and how bad the noise is and that the Black race pads on my other car make no noise, etc. All Hawk said was the pads are not noise free. They didn't even try to discuss problems with break in or problems that could've resulted from the track day. The guy basically told me to piss off. Regardless of whether I messed up the pads or not, the guy would not discuss anything other than the fact HP Plus pads are not advertised as noise free and acted surprised that I was complaining about the pads squealing.

So even if I managed to up the break in or cooked them at Hallett, I'm too wary to try another set of HP Plus pads since there's a no return/refund/exchange option. Not sure what else to go with since I go to Hallett at least 5 or more times a year, but its also my daily driver. I used the Hawk Black race pads a couple yrs ago; forgot to put the regular street pads back on and ended up using them till I did the 1.8 rotor upgrade. As much as I hate to buy another Hawk product, the Black pads are on my project racer as well and I must say they work great. Absolutely no noise, plenty of initial cold grip and no more break dust than other high performance pads.

So does any one recommend an alternative to the Hawk HP Plus?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

My HP+'s always squealed until they got hot. Even when hot, they had a little noise. I ordered a set of HPS's for the RSX from Gary, but I won't get to test them out until I get my car back. AJ had them on his 97 Miata, and I thought they were fine, no noise and not nearly as much dusting as the HP+.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I hate those pads! Mike had put a set on Sunny, and I used them for awhile, then went back to stock. Last time I went to MSR, I put them back on and found them very hard to modulate....too easy to lock 'em up. I still have them on, but they are squealing like crazy. They have got to go.......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

good info to know, I was considering a set.
    99 Miata Black

Hmm...interesting. Personally, I like the HP + pads for the track. Not the ideal choice for daily drving since they do tend to squeal like a stuck pig at times, but I NEVER hear them on the track once I've got some heat into them.

Speed

If you are worried about the noise, don't bother getting another set. They'll be just as noisy. Did someone tell you they were quiet???

BTW, I really like my HP+, but the car is not a daily driver and the exhaust noise drowns out everything else anyway.

I don't have any personal experience with Cobalt Friction, but a lot of the BMW track guys I know like them. Might be something worth researching:

http://adrenalineracing.com/index.ph...35995bbd4d2117
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have 3/4 of a set of HP+ pads downstairs in the toolbox. THey are much too aggressive for the street. To be honest I think most of the autoXers around here are going to recommend mazda pads. I know it isnt as cool and romantic as some exotic pad, but they seem to be the best mix of price, noise, performance, and dusting that you can get. If it is a track car,I am sure others have better recommendations.

I don't think the Mazda pads are a good choice for someone who spends a lot of time at Hallett. That track is notoriously hard on brakes. The Mazda pads are fine for autocrossing and even a track like MSR, but Hallett would chew them up really quickly.

Have you tried the Axxis Ultimates? They are another "dual use" street/track pad compound like the HP+, but they are a lot quieter on the street. I've used a couple of sets of HP+, and while I liked them on the track, I hated them on the street, and typically swapped pads while swapping wheels and tires when I went to the track.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Have you tried the Axxis Ultimates? They are another "dual use" street/track pad compound like the HP+, but they are a lot quieter on the street. I've used a couple of sets of HP+, and while I liked them on the track, I hated them on the street, and typically swapped pads while swapping wheels and tires when I went to the track.
    Have you run Ultimates before? I really wasn't impressed with them on my M3. Initial bite really wasn't there.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I've been using Axxis Ultimates for several years on the street on my Miata and Talon. I think they are a good all-around pad.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Hmm...thanks for input so far guys. I was considering the Axxis Ultimates actually. I knew the HP Plus pads are not noise free but damn! Not to mention as I said the Hawk Black race pads on my project racer make absolutely no noise ever!

Hard choice, try the Ultimates or go with full race pad and swap with stock pads for street.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Have you run Ultimates before? I really wasn't impressed with them on my M3. Initial bite really wasn't there.
    Yeah, I'm on my second or third set. Personally, I found that the initial bite was on par with the HP+ pads, with the additional benefit that they worked well at ambient tmeps, while I always felt that the HP+ needed a little heat in them to work well.

My one caveat - I've used these as street, autocrossing, and time trialing pads, but I've never used them at a full-on track event with 20-minute sessions.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

What about HPS (not Plus) pads...not as aggressive as the HP + pads but should be better than stock...

I've been reading some good reviews on the Axxis Ultimates about being noise free and very good stopping for street/autox and some light track duty. So I'm leaning towards trying them for street pads and then get a set of Hawk Blue race pads for track days cause Hallet is a heavy breaking track and I go a lot and brake very late!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer
    What about HPS (not Plus) pads...not as aggressive as the HP + pads but should be better than stock...
    They're still noisy. They squeal, but they don't have the same kind of crunchy grumble that you sometimes get with cold HP+s.

For a light duty street/autox pad, I'd take the Axxis Ultimates over the HPS, having used both.
    Iain