Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for a new PC

Default Need suggestions for a new PC

I'm getting tired of my dinosaur. I have a PIII 500. I told you it was a dinosaur. I need some suggestions.

I don't want to spend a lot. (around $400) All I use it for is for is the net, minor photo editing and synching my iPod. I don't do any gaming.

I've been looking at Dell. They have a 2.53 GHz Celeron with 1 Gig RAM, 80GB HD and DVD-R for just over $400. I didn't like the fact that it only had two USB ports on the front and they were mounted low on the case.

I'll use my old 20" monitor. I'll add my 120GB HD, Wireless NIC, maybe my sound card and video card if they're better.

I want a reliable system. A case with multiple inputs on the front with convienent access and of course cheap. Don't want to build one. I'm done with that. This system just needs to last me through school, (3 years?) and not bog down on webvideos, synch my iPod (60GB photo) as quickly as possible, and run Photo editing software decently.

Actually my current system isn't too bad but I know it's time to upgrade when it takes hours and hours to synch my iPod. (USB2)

I'd love a MAC (I know, blasphemy!) but it's out of my budget right now.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Last few I have bought have all been HP's, all have card readers USB 2.0 ports, fire wire ports and so on and fit your price range. Have been relativly bulletproof (not counting operator errors) at the world headquarters as well as home.

Plus ya just gotta love Best Buy's 0% interest for months and months, $500 over a 12 months is a whopping $41.ish a month, yes I am a cheap bastard!

YMMV

Once you have decided your must have specs and what it would cost you online, be sure to take a walk through Fry's to look at the PCs that have those orange clearance tags on. I saved around $80 and added 20 gigs of HD space over the PC I was about to buy from Dell by doing that.

The past few I have had were HPs and for the most part have been great if you take away the fact that my last one didn't come with a cooling fan and I still haven't got my $50. rebate on the current one I bought 4 months ago.

Other than that I think I will get a Dell next time.
    99 Miata Black

I'd recommend a Dell. The 5150 series is nice (and quiet). The 5150C is nice if it needs ot be smaller. You may need to do the "SUPER DEAL" and sell the free LCD flat panel on ebay to get one for a great price, but I like them. Also... since they're SATA, if you get dual optical drives, there's no where to plug in your old hard drive. However, ATA cards are sub $10, so that's probably not an issue.

Caveat #2... no parallel port, no serial port, no ps/2 ports... Welcome to legacy free, USB only PC's.

Fry's has Mac Mini's for $700 this weekend, but they're a little shy of enough RAM, I think.
    Last edited by tailchaser; 06-23-2006 at 09:12 AM.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Dude, you're getting a Dell.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

My last 3 have been Dell's. No complaints and they are cheap!

Paypal just emailed me a coupon for Dell...
    Coupon Code: C99$273GQ1L4W8

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Go here - http://www.techbargains.com/

Look on the top left of the screen for 'Top System Deals'. Dell is always on top.

Celerons suck. Bad juju Spend the extra couple of $$ and get a regular CPU. You'll be glad you did.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Fry's has Mac Mini's for $700 this weekend, but they're a little shy of enough RAM, I think.
    Go for the Mac Mini! I have a G4 PowerBook and it rocks - I never use any of my other machines (3 Dells at my house). FWIW you can get a basic Mac Mini with the new Intel proc for $600 at apple.com, factory refurbs with the G4 for $520. Discounts for students if you are or know one.

No, they don't come with an enormous amount of RAM, but it doesn't sound like you'd need it. I have 512MB and do light photo and movie editing, web pages, word processing and spreadsheets, the whole bit. No problems, no waiting. Even if it is slowing down to swap stuff to disc, it's way faster than a reboot every time the stupid PC crashes.... YMMV,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX
    Go for the Mac Mini!
    Craig
    When I end up getting soimething for what you want I will pick up a Mini. The G5 is way overkill for what you want but the mini is purrrfect. Also since you are in school, I might be able to help out with stuff, PM me if you are interested
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

With the Intel Macs you're getting two machines in one, now that they will officially boot Windows. I bet an Apple store would demo that for ya.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    With the Intel Macs you're getting two machines in one, now that they will officially boot Windows.
    But why would I want to do that when I can run OSX???

For sure, the base Mini is more than sufficient for the stated purpose - like I said, my 1.25GHz G4 is plenty for such light use. The only thing I might miss (with the base machine) is the DVD-burning SuperDrive, but you won't find that in a $500 Windows box, either.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX
    The only thing I might miss (with the base machine) is the DVD-burning SuperDrive, but you won't find that in a $500 Windows box, either.
    Might want to check pricing again, but I have a DVD-RW/CD-RW in a less than 500$ Dell laptop with a P4 processor, widescreen, 1GB RAM, and 60GB disk drive.

Please stop supporting the company that is putting out ignorant and deceptive ads about how bad PCs are and how things "just work" on their overpriced Macs. Get a Dell and be happy

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Go here - http://www.techbargains.com/

Look on the top left of the screen for 'Top System Deals'. Dell is always on top.
    Yep, I was going to link to techbargains too.

Another good place to look is the Dell Outlet.

Worst thing about Dells is that you have to pay shipping & taxes...

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...=22&l=en&s=dfh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883102673
    Last edited by pliablemoose; 06-23-2006 at 06:45 PM.
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    Please stop supporting the company that is putting out ignorant and deceptive ads about how bad PCs are and how things "just work" on their overpriced Macs. Get a Dell and be happy
    Very true. I have had my current xp machine for 18 months and it has not crashed once. Prior to that I had a machine running ME for 3 years with no crashes. At work, I have had zero crashes in 4 years between Win2k and XP. I have not had a crash at home since saying farewell to '98 and work PCs have been stable since moving away NT4.0. Apple seems to be taking advantage of people's long memories of the no longer relevant Windows history of blue screen hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Very true. I have had my current xp machine for 18 months and it has not crashed once. Prior to that I had a machine running ME for 3 years with no crashes. At work, I have had zero crashes in 4 years between Win2k and XP. I have not had a crash at home since saying farewell to '98 and work PCs have been stable since moving away NT4.0. Apple seems to be taking advantage of people's long memories of the no longer relevant Windows history of blue screen hell.
    Hence the

My PCs actually work all the time, too, and I like Dells just fine - I own several, and my wife used to sell them. My XP Pro box at the office is very stable, and I'm a heavy multi-tasker using multi-megabyte spreadsheets, querying multi-terabyte databases.

Having said that - I do enjoy using OSX better - better even than the beta of Windows Vista I've played with. And for home use - movies, music, photos, web pages, etc - I don't see going back to Windows.

Craig

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...c=2d31h8&s=bsd

If you wait a couple of days, as the quarter closes, Dell usually offers some serious deals.

The one I linked to is a good deal and includes a 17" monitor, if you want to keep your 20", sell the 17" on eBay...
    To do list: carpet X1, seatcovers X1

97' Green M Edition

▄︻┻┳═一

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast