Thread: Question for racing harness install

Default Question for racing harness install

Hey, for all you guys that have harnesses bolted into the rear deck, where exactly did you drill through the deck?

Thanks in advance.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Typically a harness attaches (threads) to harness-tabs on the roll-bar in the rear deck. If you have a seat belt tower bar, I've seen harnesses 'wrapped' around that.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Typically a harness attaches (threads) to harness-tabs on the roll-bar in the rear deck. If you have a seat belt tower bar, I've seen harnesses 'wrapped' around that.
    Thanks Sam, I don't have tabs on the bar, it's a BSP bar. Is it safe to wrap around that bar? I'm not sure if it will fit with the roll bar in, but I'll check.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I've always wrapped mine around the cross bar on the rollbar or cage. There's not really anything in that area that I would want to bolt to.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I've always wrapped mine around the cross bar on the rollbar or cage. There's not really anything in that area that I would want to bolt to.
    I will probably have my firend weld a harness bar into my roll bar. Thanks for the help guys.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I will probably have my firend weld a harness bar into my roll bar. Thanks for the help guys.
    If you have a welder buddy, why not just add a harness tab?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    If you have a welder buddy, why not just add a harness tab?
    Hush Sammm... I am sure their are several autocrossers that would love to see him add the extra weight of the bar.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Hush Sammm... I am sure their are several autocrossers that would love to see him add the extra weight of the bar.
    ahhh...good point. Now that I think about it, all the kool kids are using anchors and anchor chains for a harness instead!

ROFL!!! You guys are too funny.

We'll see, but the bar seems like the easiest solution.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I would recommend the bar, and not for the aforementioned weight gain. First, the OEM cockpit brace is not something I would want a safety harness attached to. Second, the tabs are not the ideal solution either. For me it causes the belts to be angled funny towards the side of the car because the tab isnt centered behind my back. The only reason harddog uses them for M2 bars is because of the glass window. Otherwise the M1 bars come with harness bars. Also remember you want to keep the angle of the harness of your shoulders inmind. Too much of an angle and you can compress your spine in an accident. http://www.gforce.com/pdf/harnessinstall.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I would recommend the bar, and not for the aforementioned weight gain. First, the OEM cockpit brace is not something I would want a safety harness attached to. Second, the tabs are not the ideal solution either. For me it causes the belts to be angled funny towards the side of the car because the tab isnt centered behind my back. The only reason harddog uses them for M2 bars is because of the glass window. Otherwise the M1 bars come with harness bars. Also remember you want to keep the angle of the harness of your shoulders inmind. Too much of an angle and you can compress your spine in an accident. http://www.gforce.com/pdf/harnessinstall.pdf
    Good points. I'll keep all of that in mind.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub