Thread: Road America crashes

Default Road America crashes

Did anyone else watch the Champ car race at RA? There was an unbelivable crash with just six laps to go, in the "kink", the fastest set of corners on the course. The rear wing on Kat's pink car came off and she lost all rear downforce, becoming a passenger. It was the most violent contact I've seen in a long time, and I just knew she hadn't survived. Much to mine, and everyone elses surprise, she walked out of the medical complex smiling. It was amazing!

That incident delayed the MX-5 Pro race which was next on the schedule, and there were two of the best battles for both first/second, and third/fourth, from start to finish....well, almost. The top two cars, teammates out of Shannon's shop at MSR, swapped the lead at least eleven times until two laps to go, when one had an almost identical crash as above. Something in the left rear suspension broke and the wheel folded under, causing a 360 spin and hard into the wall at the same spot. Driver Jim Daniels, who had clinched the championship at the previous race was not hurt, at least not life threatening. This morning he said he couldn't move (pain) and had more x-rays scheduled.

On that same lap, Jason Saini clicked off the fastested lap of the race by 7/10th of a second and went on the win the race. The entire time they raced, there was never a time he and Jim were never more than 2/10th apart at the line! The two cars battling for third/fourth were just as exciting, although being twenty-seven seconds behind Jason. They probably swapped positions even more than Jim and Jason. On top of that, Debra Loth, also out of Shannon's shop, started 18th and finished 5th, earning her the hard-charger award for the race. The top five finishers all had there best finish of the season, a fitting end to the first season in the new MX-5's.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Thanks for the recap! I was watching the Champ cars, but didn't get the other race - sounds like a good one.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Thanks for the recap! I was watching the Champ cars, but didn't get the other race - sounds like a good one.
    It wasn't on TV, but will be on Speed in December. I was on the "live timing" site keeping track of the race.....

Dang it. I watched most of the champ car race but I missed the end.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

So are you considering trying to run MX-5 Pro next season?

Dang it, I missed the Champ Car race at RA!!! Makes a bad weekend even worse. Maybe I can find a replay somewhere.
    Mike Valant
    '94 Miata (daily driver)
    '03 MINI Cooper S (autocrosser - yeah I know, they're backwards! )

http://www.txwerks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    So are you considering trying to run MX-5 Pro next season?
    I want to.....really bad.....but I can't even get my SM running, so it will have to wait, unless there are some Sports on that ship that may have gotten wet!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I want to.....really bad.....but I can't even get my SM running, so it will have to wait, unless there are some Sports on that ship that may have gotten wet!
    Merv? Need help?

I still need to do my engine/trans swap.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks, RJ. I just don't have time with a full time grandbaby and a house to get finished. :sigh: One of these days......

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Thanks, RJ. I just don't have time with a full time grandbaby and a house to get finished. :sigh: One of these days......
    How long have you been working on that house?? Was Texas a state when ya started working on it???

Yeah I was watching the champcar race also. I had the most horrible feeling about KL's wreck. I was almost sick to my stomach. I was watching live timing and it said the driver was injured but not life threatening. That was great news. The champcar race will be reshown this wednesday, sometime during the midday. I dont know what time exactly. And if you get race director from champcar.ws you can see it on demand. I love race director. I get live timing, a live map of the track, and slightly delayed video from random cameras around the track and onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Nice! Thanks...
    Sure, I wasn't sure what you wanted a link for so I figured I'd be comprehensive.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    How long have you been working on that house?? Was Texas a state when ya started working on it???
    April, 1991

Cool, I guess Shannon's been working hard. Been a while since I've talked with him. Maybe I'll have to start watching Speed TV again and try to catch some of the rare road racing they broadcast!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...