View Poll Results: Will you be attending the TDR@MSR 2007?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for sure.

25 65.79%
  • Maybe.

13 34.21%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Dog Racing Track Day at MSR - June 23rd

No promises, but I am trying to make it back to Texas for this one. I never drove MSR when I was there, so I am seeing if this can fit in the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Sorry you can't make it Rich.

I'm also surprized that only 12 people from the DFW area are going to make it. We usually had more than thirty enter for the focus days. We were depending on the local guys to fill out a large part of the roster.

At this level of interest it doesn't look to promising

Maybe we'll have to downsize to a focus day (1/2 day event).
    I would go, but I have the wrong car

Maybe if I fall into some money and can buy a cheap Miata before then
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Sorry you can't make it Rich.

I'm also surprised that only 12 people from the DFW area are going to make it. We usually had more than thirty enter for the focus days. We were depending on the local guys to fill out a large part of the roster.

At this level of interest it doesn't look to promising

Maybe we'll have to downsize to a focus day (1/2 day event).
    I think there are a few minor things going against you here, including the block-out of non-Miatas (the last Miata focus day I attended let in a few non-Miatas and a lot of guys around here don't drive them anymore), as is the discouragement of co-driving (I have co-drove my car at a TDE event at MSR without a problem). The focus days were cheaper too, so the price may scare a few away. And of course there is divisionals, but I don't think that is hurting THAT much.

The biggest issue may be a lack of urgency. I think many don't see any reason to commit this early.

Has this been promoted outside of Miata.net, DFWMiata, and the mass emailing? If not, you are likely missing a lot of people. I would sent copies to board members of every Miata club in TX and OK, and try to get them to push it with there members. Offer a Miata club a special club parking area, and they will make an event out of attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The biggest issue may be a lack of urgency. I think many don't see any reason to commit this early.
    Hey your reading my mind!

Last edited by 2K Miata; 04-10-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Well a lack of early commitment will be the demise of the event
    Does the May 15th date no longer apply??
    Cost for the event is $160.00, due by May 15, 2007 (non-refundable but transferable*). After that date, entry fees increase to $180.00.

I'm trying to work it out but only have half of the total required right now. I also have some much needed and unexpected repairs coming up.

So, I'm on a wait and see status. You know, if I can, I'll go.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Well a lack of early commitment will be the demise of the event

We've got got an approaching go/no-go date and the cost of this event is stagering. So you can't expect Gary to foot the billing hoping people will show up at the last minute

• Yeah, a mass mailing was done and we've contacted other Miata groups.

• We want this to be an excusive Miata event and have never let in any other type of car at one of our events. Its what makes the day special. So thats not likely to change.

• Sharing cars can be done and we can consider on it a individual bases. But not splitting the event fee.

• 160 bucks for this thing is a gift with a dinner and t-shirt included but I'm bias

But thanks for the insight guys. We'll just see how things pan out in the next couple weeks, but I'm surprized by the underwhelming local response

Maybe a focus day on the 1.3 for around 100 bucks (no t-shirt/dinner) would be a better alternative for all the CB's around here? We don't need but about 25-30 people to do one of those.
    Keep in mind that these comments came from someone who already gave a check to Gary last week... but yeah, I do think $100 would peak more interest than $160. Heck, if you could have done it for $140 with dinner dutch and the shirt a $10 option, I think that might even help, but that is just a guess.

And there was an old 914 that ran at the last Focus day you and Gary put on. I would definitely not let anyone in anything sign up, but a limited amount of non-Miatas referred by Miata owners filling spots that would be empty otherwise is perfectly acceptable to me. If it comes down to a choice between half a dozen non Miatas running with us, or no event at all, I am going to choose letting them in every time. I have seen events in California that have a 10 person non-Miata waiting list, with people leaving partial deposits. 3 or 4 weeks before the event, they let them lock in if there are open slots. Once the event catches on and becomes an annual thing for people (like Miatas at Hallet), then it is a non issue, as there will not be open spots for people on the waiting list.

Last edited by 2K Miata; 04-10-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Yeah I vaguely remeber that 911-914 guy weaseled his way into the event. A couple people were no shows at the last minute and we needed to fullfill our commitment to Jack (at least 30 people attending).

I just can't see this being anything other than a Miata only event and if we can't get enough Miata people to commit then so be it. We tried our best to offer you guys a chance to get out on MSR and your Miatas on the track.
    I also recall Sanjeeva's yellow S2000 being welcomed at a previous Miata-centric Focus Day.

Let me in, let me run the RX-8, and I'll mail a check next week. But I don't own a Miata anymore and I'm not interested in co-driving someone else's car at a track day.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by 2K Miata; 04-10-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Last edited by 2K Miata; 04-10-2007 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Updating information

Do the CB's around here think $160 too much? Compare it to what APEX charges for their one day event, $195, and that Driver's Edge charges $275 for two days and probaly the same as APEX if they allowed one day participation. This is not a focus day but a true drivers education event that has never been offered in a "Miata only" event in this area.

So $160 with the swag it ain't that bad. But its all realative isn't it.
    You guys could probably autocross for a 1/2 season for that much

But I hope you can make it.
    I think the problem is that the last event cost right at $100. Also, don't BMWCCA and PCA put on events that are around $200 for 2 days.

BTW, I wish I could autocross a half season on $160.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Between tire wear and fuel, an autocross at Mineral Wells probably costs me close to that.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I think the problem is that the last event cost right at $100. Also, don't BMWCCA and PCA put on events that are around $200 for 2 days.
    Yeah, but (1) the "last event" was a focus day (fewer open sessions) and (2) you failed to mention the "hidden costs" of BMWCCA and PCA track events (i.e. owning a BMW or P.)

I think a $35 discount on a Miata-only Apex event is a pretty good deal to start with; the dinner and T-shirt are gravy.

If this event fizzles, it's probably not going to help us get back to the days of a $200 two-day Miata event (as in 2000 and 2001).

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace View Post
    Yeah, but (1) the "last event" was a focus day (fewer open sessions) and (2) you failed to mention the "hidden costs" of BMWCCA and PCA track events (i.e. owning a BMW or P.)
    1) I don't really remember, but there were 3 or 4 sessions at the last one I went to.

2) Guess you've never really looked into going to one of their events. There's absolutely no need to own a BMW or Porsche to go to their driver's ed events.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I really have looked into both, and as I recall owners/club members get priority -- which, on events that fill fast, locks out nonowners/nonmembers. But technically, yes, one can attend without owning.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Than what's the problem? You'll get as much seat time in this one event than you would in 3 years of autocross.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

OK... for reference, the last Miata day at MSR I can find reference of was ran by Apex and hosted by Lone Star Miata Club. It was $150, and being ran by Apex means the format of that one and this one will be about the same. It included no shirt and no dinner. This years event seems equal or better than this one considering price and offerings IMHO.

The last event Gary hosted was $100, and included 2 x 30 minute track sessions with minimal instruction. There was a lead follow session that may cause some to remember it as 3 sessions, but that hardly counts, and the Apex ran events includes them too. Again, this years event seems equal or better than this one considering price and offerings IMHO.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    OK... for reference, the last Miata day at MSR I can find reference of was ran by Apex and hosted by Lone Star Miata Club. It was $150, and being ran by Apex means the format of that one and this one will be about the same. It included no shirt and no dinner. This years event seems equal or better than this one considering price and offerings IMHO.
    Plus this one's on a Saturday, so most people won't have to take off work.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast