Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mew Miata owner, looking for performance improvement

Oil Changer

Default Mew Miata owner, looking for performance improvement

A Miata newbie here. I just bought a 2001 special edition with 38,000 miles on it. While it is great to buzz around town in, I am seeking advice on performance improvement. What ever I do, I don't want the car to be real loud and I want it to be a dependable daily driver.

Has anyone had any experience with the "cold air" induction kits, teamed with an improved exhaust system? My guess is that this would provide very limited hp and torque improvement.

What about supercharger or turbochargers?

I would love to get some advice from some of the experts on this forum!
    Ernie

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome and congrats! Plenty of options for performance. How much do you have?

One of the speed freaks will chime in shortly.

If you know enough about building a turbo kit let me know, I have a K03 turbo and an intercooler...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Oil Changer

Well, I don't know much about turbo kits, but I am guessing that I will be learning more in the weeks to come.
    Ernie

well the intake is a good starting point.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Bolt-ons really won't do too much to increase the performance of the car. The extra sound may give you a seat of the pants performance gain though.

Think about saving for a basic supercharger setup. That would be a good performance gain.

Weight reduction is a good way to make a Miata faster, but if this is your daily driver, I wouldn't go to extremes.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Banned

Look into the Monster Flow intake from Goodwing Racing. Great product, and actually pulls better than some of the cold air intakes on the market. You can go with that and free flow exhaust for now to wake 'er up a bit and still be non obtrusive in the decibel levels. If you plan on a turbo, wait to get the header when you install, so you get the right one.

Check out Gary at Track Dog Racing.

He's 'swell folks' and local.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Oil Changer

Any thoughts on pros and cons of turbo charging vs supercharging? I would think some kind of intercooling set-up would be helpful for both.

Is there a known "trouble free" turbo or supercharger kit that is somewhat known for use in a daily driver? I would like a relatively broad power and torque curve.

I assume that to get the benefits of either that you really need to upgrade the exhaust sytem too?
    Ernie

Oil Changer

I will check out Track Dog Racing. Thanks for the info.
    Ernie

The M45 seems to be pretty trouble free. Track dog sells it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I'd be glad to give you a ride in an FMII '97 Miata, and Titus is running a Supercharger, I'm sure you could twist his arm for a ride. As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind a ride in his car either
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    +1, I was thinking the same thing. Just keep it simple right now, enjoy the power and you can up the boost and intercool it later.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

If you want to spend moderate amounts of money, spend it on the suspension (tires, sways, shocks, springs in that order) and brakes. Consider a roll bar (NOT a style bar) too. Your car will be much more capable at that point. If you want to GO faster (not stop or turn faster), don't bother with intakes, exhausts, or filters or such. If you will be satisfied with small steps, those are okay but nothing in the "small steps" category will compare in the least to forced induction. You could spend as much money on "small steps" as a low-end FI kit and never get close to the same bump in power/tq.

If it was my choice, I'd go to FlyinMiata (FM) (www.flyinmiata.com). They have everything you'll want, they'd be happy to discuss all your needs/wants by phone or email, and they are really good folks. The Miata community is very fortunate that there are several high-quality companies serving us with go-fast goodies: FM, Track Dog, BEGI, FFS, Goodwin. Also, if you are hesitant at all about doing your own wrenching, speak up. There are lots of folks here in the Metroplex that love that kind of thing and would be happy to pitch in.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    If you want to spend moderate amounts of money, spend it on the suspension (tires, sways, shocks, springs in that order) and brakes. Consider a roll bar (NOT a style bar) too. Your car will be much more capable at that point. If you want to GO faster (not stop or turn faster), don't bother with intakes, exhausts, or filters or such. If you will be satisfied with small steps, those are okay but nothing in the "small steps" category will compare in the least to forced induction. You could spend as much money on "small steps" as a low-end FI kit and never get close to the same bump in power/tq.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    Titus is running a Supercharger, I'm sure you could twist his arm for a ride. As a matter of fact I wouldn't mind a ride in his car either
    Yep... come out to the Wed. Night GTG in Plano some time and I would be happy to take you for a spin around the block.

Banned

I want a ride too.

Banned

Looking into the supercharger for the final ooomph factor.

Your welcome to ride in mine as well. Basic M45 with the TDR A/A IC plus a few other goodies.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Oil Changer

You guys are talking over my head with all of these acronyms....
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by eluxton View Post
    You guys are talking over my head with all of these acronyms....
    So I take it you haven't visited the TrackDog Website.

http://www.trackdogracing.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast