Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes an "exotic"?

Default What makes an "exotic"?

I was day dreaming on ET yesterday, and I came across a thread for the LA to Santa Barbra Exotics Car run. In the info, it clearly states "Sorry, but exotics only". It then lists the cars that have signed up... 2 Ferraris, 2 Lambos, 2 Lotus, and 2 Porsche. This really has stuck in my head, today, as because with the exception of the Carrera GT, I have NEVER thought of a Porsche as exotic. Am I alone here? Are everyday Porsches exotic?

I'm with you. Exotic, no. Expensive, yes.

I could almost see it as an "affordable exotic". I'd think of the NSX as a reliable exotic.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

You might be slanted due to the area you are in. Tech/Financial areas, Porsches are common. I remember family coming to visit in Austin, and remarking at all the high end cars on the highway everyday. They were from Ft Worth. Here in NC, a GT3 or baby Aston is remarkable because they aren't as commonly seen as in DFW, especially downtown Dallas.

However, the Lotus dealer here does very well and Elise/Exiges are seen daily. I think certain Porsches are exotic (GT3, etc) , Im not so sure about the common Lotus' (Loti) that are available though. That doesn't mean I don't drool on them.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I'm with you. Exotic, no. Expensive, yes.

I could almost see it as an "affordable exotic"....
    I agree, I could see a modern Porsche being an exotic as long at it is not below a 911 GT. The run of the mill Boxters are just that; run of the mill "every man's" Porsche.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I thought more about this on my way home. Growing up, I lived in a pretty affluent gated community in Northern California. Seeing expensive cars was status quo. I guess what I always considered exotic were the cars you only saw out on the weekend. The most of the guys that owned a Ferrari wouldn't dream of driving it to work every day... That was what their 911 was for. Yes, some will drive their Ferrari to work, and a few more will use their Elise as a DD, but for most, these are weekend cars. Porsche owners don't think twice about using it as a DD. I counted 4 911s on 35 in traffic just this afternoon.

AutoWeek had an article about Porsche not going to the Detroit auto show.

"From that standpoint the move makes sense: Porsche says it sold only 290 cars in Michigan last year, compared with 8,827 in California, 4,177 in Florida and 2,172 in New York."

I would consider "Exotic" to be something high end, rare, and expensive. NSX? Yes, rare, high end, though not REALLY expensive. Average Porsche 911? Nah.
    Ferrari Enzo? Obviously. Most Ferraris? Yes. Actually, all of them. All Lambos.

Porsche... Carrera GT, 959, that type I would consider exotic.

Shelby GR1? Exotic.

I'd almost call it a common-sense thing if people weren't so retarded.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I'd almost call it a common-sense thing if people weren't so retarded.
    Saving that one
    '95 NA8 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by 4W4K3 View Post
    Saving that one
    The funny part is he is talking about himself...

I've never thought of Porsches or the NSX as exotics, because they're usable cars. I always thought you had to make some sort of sacrifice (other than monetary) to drive an exotic. For instance, in the olden days, Ferraris 1) were ergonomically effed up - Google "Italian Driving Position," 2) overheated and fouled their plugs in traffic, 3) required some sort of black ritual to make them start and run properly, 4) were VERY hard to obtain through proper channels (hell, it was a big deal when Road & Track got their hands on one to test), and 5) could not be driven on a daily basis (see 1-4).

Now, even though it's expensive and rare, even a Ferrari isn't as "exotic" as it used to be. So piss on those "LA Exotics" guys...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    For instance, in the olden days, Ferraris 1) were ergonomically effed up - Google "Italian Driving Position," 2) overheated and fouled their plugs in traffic, 3) required some sort of black ritual to make them start and run properly, 4) were VERY hard to obtain through proper channels (hell, it was a big deal when Road & Track got their hands on one to test), and 5) could not be driven on a daily basis (see 1-4).
    Based on that description, you just described every British and Italian vintage roadster. Only exception might be #4.
    ...and across the line.

BTW,

I'd guess a true exotic would be any vehicle that is hand built in limited quantities and uses the latest technology and materials for a vehicle built primarily for performance.
    ...and across the line.

Based on that description, you just described every British and Italian vintage roadster. Only exception might be #4.
    Well, true dat...

Maybe I should've said it has to be all those things, and obscenely fast, and featured in Whitesnake videos or something...

I guess there was just more mystique surrounding exotics back in the 80s (or before that). I still remember the first time I saw a Testarossa on the tollway, for example - and I count on one hand the number of those I've seen on the road since then. But I saw 3 Ferraris cruising around town yesterday (a 599 and two F430s). Expensive? Yes. Exclusive? Sure. Will I ever get to drive another one? If I'm lucky, maybe...

BTW,

I'd guess a true exotic would be any vehicle that is hand built in limited quantities and uses the latest technology and materials for a vehicle built primarily for performance.
    ...and, yes, that's a pretty darn good definition... that, and mystique... mmmmmm...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Well what about exotic luxury? It's not everyday that you see a Maybach or a Bentley driving around.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

This is something I'd consider exotic

Link

'06 RSX Type-S NBP

BTW,

I like that a lot. I think it is a very good start. Now how does one go about finding out what cars are hand built? And how do we define "Limited Quantities"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Well what about exotic luxury? It's not everyday that you see a Maybach or a Bentley driving around.
    I think it needs to be considered high performance to get the Exotic tag. Perhaps we are talking Exotic Saloons. Many Bentleys fit, but perhaps not the RR? Maybe a Quattroporte?

If you drive the piss out of it and something "unimportant" - think wiper stalk, stereo knobs, mysterious plastic bits from behind steering column - doesn't fall off, it's NOT an exotic. End of story.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    If you drive the piss out of it and something "unimportant" - think wiper stalk, stereo knobs, mysterious plastic bits from behind steering column - doesn't fall off, it's NOT an exotic. End of story.
    Hehe... reminds me of another ET discussion:

New Elise owner: LOTUS ISSUE- NEED DEALER HELP! Driving car home to CA after buying from dealer in NY. Got to Nebraska and a really bad squeek developed in the car.

Old Elise owner #1: That squeak comes and goes.

Old Elise owner #2: If it sounds like squirrels chewing on styrofoam and rubber, that's totally normal.

New Elise owner: The noise went away yesterday, but after 9 hours of straight driving it came back???

Old elise owner #3: I had that noise... To me it sounded like a duck on a paint shaker.

New Elise owner: Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Maybe a Quattroporte?
    Thumbs down on the QP, there's 2 (count 'em, two) in the parking garage here at work... And neither one can park worth a damn...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Speaking of which... one of our tech guys drives a thoroughly ragged out '89 Lotus Esprit... Exotic? I think so, but it's more of soft spot on my part...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 08-09-2007 at 10:52 AM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hehe... reminds me of another ET discussion:

New Elise owner: LOTUS ISSUE- NEED DEALER HELP! Driving car home to CA after buying from dealer in NY. Got to Nebraska and a really bad squeek developed in the car.

Old Elise owner #1: That squeak comes and goes.

Old Elise owner #2: If it sounds like squirrels chewing on styrofoam and rubber, that's totally normal.

New Elise owner: The noise went away yesterday, but after 9 hours of straight driving it came back???

Old elise owner #3: I had that noise... To me it sounded like a duck on a paint shaker.

New Elise owner: Appreciate it.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast