Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maverick PCA Time Trials #3 & #4 - Saturday, June 21 at MSR

Default Maverick PCA Time Trials #3 & #4 - Saturday, June 21 at MSR

Well, I got some information on this event back from Travis Howard, the Maverick Region Time Trial Chair:

Iain,
    TT #3 and #4 will be ran on the 1.7 mile course. In the morning it will be ran clockwise and in the afternoon we will run it counter clockwise. The cars will do parade laps in the morning to get familiar with the track. For the timed laps the car will start at grid, have a 3/4 of a lap for warm up then 3 hot laps twice. There will be multiple cars spaced out on track running at the same time. At this time I believe tops must be up, and the fee is 60.00 which covers both Time Trials. Due to the time restriction of have two events on the same day, registration will be limited to 48 cars with tiered entry requirements. First will be PCA members who ran 4 TT's last year, next PCA members that ran any TT's last year. Then anyone who was at the TT 103 school 2008, next any PCA member, then non-PCA members. I believe this event will completely fill up.

Travis Howard
    I really hope there are some spots left for this one!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So do you have to be solo'd to participate?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

No. This is not a DE, and it is separate from the DE program. It is considered part of their Time Trial series, just like the TT events they have at Mineral Wells
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    No. This is not a DE, and it is separate from the DE program. It is considered part of their Time Trial series, just like the TT events they have at Mineral Wells
    Sweet, I'll try and make it then. I'm a bit scared of an off especially having never driven MSR before.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I hope I can work this in to my schedule, and they can work me into their schedule.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Sweet, I'll try and make it then. I'm a bit scared of an off especially having never driven MSR before.
    I've had 2 offs at MSR, and no dammage. If you are going to have an off, MSR is the place to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I'd be scared too in that fragile little car.

MSR is one of the more forgiving tracks in the southwest when it comes to runoff, but there are still things to hit so be careful. There will be parade laps in each direction before competition runs, plus you'll have a warm up lap before timing starts. I'd look for MSR video on youtube of the 1.7 to help get yourself familiar with it.

I think you'll be fine, Joe. Autocrossing helps you learn an unfamiliar track quickly, and you've got good car control skills. Keep the red mist under control and remember that it's all for fun, and you'll keep it shiny side up.
    Iain

One tip for anyone interested in attending this event who has never been on track - make sure your brakes are in good working order. Specifically:

• Pad thickness - You should have at least 1/2 pad remaining. OEM pads should be fine for stock or near stock cars on street tires, but heavily modified cars or cars on R compounds will probably want a more aggressive, higher temp brake compound.
    • Flush your brakes! - If you haven't changed your brake fluid in the last twelve months (or you've never done it at all), now's the time. Make sure to use a high quality Dot 3/4/5.1 fluid. Do not use Dot 5 fluid, as this is silicone based and highly compressible. Stick with glycol-based fluids. I'm partial to Motul RBF600, but Valvoline Synthetic is also good, and readily available at your local Autozone.

This event will feature three lap stints at high speed during mid-summer. Make sure your brakes and cooling system are up to par, and you'll have a much better time!
    Iain

Registration is open!

See you at the track!
    Iain

I have signed up, but I am worried about my lack of roll bar and harness. They do not require them for TTs at Mineral Wells, but I so not know if there are special rules for MSR. I have email Bryan Bell about this. If I need either of those, then I might have to bail out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I have signed up, but I am worried about my lack of roll bar and harness. They do not require them for TTs at Mineral Wells, but I so not know if there are special rules for MSR. I have email Bryan Bell about this. If I need either of those, then I might have to bail out.
    When I asked Travis about this, he said that he believed that tops must be up. Beyond that, no additional requirements for convertibles beyond those at a Mineral Wells TT.
    Iain

When I asked Travis about this, he said that he believed that tops must be up. Beyond that, no additional requirements for convertibles beyond those at a Mineral Wells TT.
    I can dig it.

I don't think MSR has a rule. I think it is left to the club renting the track. I know BMWCCA will only allow metal hardtops. Others will allow no rollbar in beginner and intermediate groups but no R comps. Most require top up or straps.

I've registered and will run the Miata.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

I think you'll be fine, Joe. Autocrossing helps you learn an unfamiliar track quickly, and you've got good car control skills. Keep the red mist under control and remember that it's all for fun, and you'll keep it shiny side up.
    +1 on autocrossing helping. At TDR at MSR last summer, my instructor also commented on how it helps with car control and learning tracks quicker. However, there are autocross techniques that dont really help on a road course, such as the shuffle steering that he kept bugging me about. MSR is really fun though.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

This event sounds fun. I'll see if I can work it in. My social coordinator has required more of my time lately- maybe I can break away for a day.

I'm signed up for this one. What a deal- All day at MSR for $60...and no MW road rash. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA View Post
    I'm signed up for this one. What a deal- All day at MSR for $60...and no MW road rash. See you there.
    It'll be good to see you, Joe! I assume you're bringing the Lotus?
    Iain

I signed up, hope they have enough spaces available.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast