Thread: Women drivers....

Default Women drivers....

"But I had a green light!"

I was leaving a Subway in my Integra on Preston north of Dallas earlier this afternoon (6 lanes). I got my green light and prepared to turn left... saw my opening, took it, and got into my lane. Unfortunately, right at that moment I noticed that the 2008 Saturn Vue suv turning right from the oncoming lane was actually crossing all three lanes about to merge into me. I was shifting with my right hand, and my left was still adjusting from the turn, so I didn't have a chance to hit the horn.

So I braced myself and got as far left as I could without jumping the curb.

CRUNCH.

Sure enough... I now have a huge dent from the passenger door handle all the way back through the quarter panel (sounds like the damage my Miata endured a couple of years ago, eh?).

I have NO idea how she didn't see me. We were right in front of each other before beginning our turn... I got into my first lane, and she jumped all the way through 3 of them and got into mine.

Oh well. My passenger door won't open now

Talking to the insurance adjuster tomorrow... at least the (woman) driver was slightly apologetic. Unfortunately, she works for State Farm, so she probably knows some tricks. All I have is liability... any tips on what to do so I don't get screwed too badly?

My home internet is down for now so I can't reply unless I'm at work.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Sorry to hear about that.

I thought Texas drivers weren't required to turn right into the innermost lane, but it looks like that isn't the case. Unfortunately, I think you may still be partly responsible because if you both had green lights the person turning right has right-of-way over the person turning left across oncoming traffic.

Hope you can get her to take part of the responsibility.
    Last edited by altiain; 06-27-2008 at 06:12 AM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

That sucks about your car, but at least you're OK. I'm going to agree with Iain on this one. Person turning right has the right of way over someone turning left however here is a little tid bit from the Texas rule book.

SUBCHAPTER C. TURNING AND SIGNALS FOR STOPPING AND TURNING

§ 545.101. TURNING AT INTERSECTION. (a) To make a
    right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both the
    approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand
    curb or edge of the roadway.
    (b) To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator
    shall:
    (1) approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand
    lane lawfully available to a vehicle moving in the direction of the
    vehicle; and
    (2) after entering the intersection, turn left,
    leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully
    available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the
    roadway being entered.
    (c) On a street or roadway designated for two-way traffic,
    the operator turning left shall, to the extent practicable, turn in
    the portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the
    intersection.
    (d) To turn left, an operator who is approaching an
    intersection having a roadway designated for one-way traffic and
    for which signs are posted from a roadway designated for one-way
    traffic and for which signs are posted shall make the turn as
    closely as practicable to the left-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
    (e) The Texas Transportation Commission or a local
    authority, with respect to a highway in its jurisdiction, may:
    (1) authorize the placement of an official
    traffic-control device in or adjacent to an intersection; and
    (2) require a course different from that specified in
    this section for movement by vehicles turning at an intersection.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Link

This is from the driver handbook

How To Make a Right Turn
    1. Well ahead of the turning point, signal for a lane change and when it is
    safe, move your vehicle to the far right lane.
    2. Begin right turn signal, and start slowing down at least 100 feet from the
    corner.
    3. Look both ways before starting to turn.
    4. Keep as close as possible to the right edge of the road. Turn using both
    hands on the wheel.

How To Make a Left Turn
    1. Well ahead of the turning point, signal for a lane change and when it is
    safe, move close to the center lane.
    2. Begin left turn signal and start slowing down at least 100 feet from the
    corner.
    3. Look in all directions carefully before starting to turn. Stay to the right of
    the centerline as you enter the intersection. Yield the right-of-way to any
    vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
    4. Complete the turn to the right of the centerline of the road into which you
    are turning by entering the lane in which you will interfere the least with other
    traffic.

Link

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 06-27-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

^^ True, but I had my opening and I took it... she turned into me after I was already centered in my lane. In other words, I had already gotten into my lane, and she was turning into the lane afterward then merged all the way into me.

I know I'm not explaining this well, but I'm using my work internet.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Blog Entries

The Drivers Handbook is an instructional guide and is not the law. As a matter of fact there are many instances where the law has taken exception to the handbook, which was written by a lowest bid contractor and has for the most part been transcribed from the California Drivers Handbook.

Texas law states that the driver turning left must yield to oncoming traffic whether that traffic is continuing straight or turning right. The only time that a left turning driver has the right of way is at an intersection with a left turn signal (arrow) and the arrow is green. The LAW does not require that turning traffic merge into any particular lane or any lane at all for that matter as turning onto or from the shoulder is specifically permitted with right turns.

However...and a big however at that, the law also states that a driver may only enter an intersection when it is safe to do so and the intersection is clear. That doesn't mean you can cut somebody off by getting into the inerstection ahead of them, but it does mean they are responsible for making certain that the intersection is unobstructed before they enter.

Courts of law and insurance companies are very different things and have entirely different agendas. You have nothing to lose by filing a claim with her company since you were the struck vehicle. Go for it!

I am not a lawyer or insurance adjuster but have been a Certified Texas Peace Officer since 1979.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

So madmonkey did you have a green light, or a green arrow?

Thumbs down

Men are just as guilty of driving poorly as women. I consider myself a very good driver on the road. As forementioned - when making a right or left turn, I turn into the lane that is nearest to me then signal to get over if I need to change lanes. Your title is offensive. I'm sorry about your accident - best of luck to you in determining fault if no citation was issued.

I was traveling down a six lane road and I was getting into the left lane to turn left at the light ahead...this dumb ass MAN pulled across the opposing lanes and t-boned me. I was in traffic already and I obviously had the right of way. He was still sitting in the parking lot when I saw him (I try to be observent when I drive) and so pulled into the left lane when he decided to cut out of the parking lot to make his left turn into ME, pedal to the metal. To add insult to serious injury - when we were moving the vehicles he put his truck into forward and slammed into my car again because he was pissed off - the police standing right there did NOTHING. Then because I made the mistake of saying "yeah I saw him over in the parking lot" it suddenly made me equally at fault??? He was in the PARKING LOT and did NOT have a signal...I didn't understand this at all...and I contested the officers report and the chief of police made him change it to say that HE was mainly at fault. However, I was still ticked off that he didn't get a citation for failure to yield right of way or for assualt when he slammed into the car when it was occupied.

I've come to understand that if a citation isn't written and there are no injuries - the insurance companies don't really care who was at fault. Furthermore, the police don't give a rats ass about fault unless they witness the accident or someone is seriously injured and will be held liable for their write up.

And of course there is the MALE driver that was recently driving nearly 100 mph in a 40 mph speed zone and killed and entire family of 5.

I had a large sheet of metal fly up and swipe the front of my car doing damage to the bumper, a little bit on the hood and also the front left panel...I called and talked to my insurance company and she said no problem - I have a very low deductible - and that's when she explained that the "problematic" accidents are when injuries occur and lots of $$$ goes out for personal injury.

I appreciate you are pissed off - but don't stereo type the situation as it being caused by women drivers. Plenty of men drivers out there cause their fair share of accidents.
    Last edited by cArAzzIE; 06-28-2008 at 11:00 AM.

cArAzzIE --> <-- MadMonkey
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Sorry. Tact is not one of my strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    Sorry. Tact is not one of my strong points.
    That's ok. It isn't for MadMonkey either.
    ...and across the line.

I've given my statements to both insurance adjusters now... looks like my company is going to go for 50/50 liability.

I think what happened in my case was that since she was coming from the opposite way I misjudged her speed and thought I had plenty of time to make the turn without even rushing (which I wasn't in the first place). Apparently I was wrong... though I was already halfway through my turn before she even started hers. I honestly have no idea how she didn't see me... I'm driving a bright red car. Sheesh.

Oh well. At least it's still driveable. I'm not worried about getting my damage paid for, I'm just worried about my insurance paying for hers. But, my insurance has indicated that they're going to be lenient since it's my first incident. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the tips everybody, except for BR.

Oh, and I had a green light, Majik, no arrow.

This has just been a sucky week for me in general. As in badly.

Quote Originally Posted by cArAzzIE View Post
    And of course there is the MALE driver that was recently driving nearly 100 mph in a 40 mph speed zone and killed and entire family of 5.
    Why did you emphasize that it was a male? I find that offensive

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=1493
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    The Drivers Handbook is an instructional guide and is not the law. As a matter of fact there are many instances where the law has taken exception to the handbook, which was written by a lowest bid contractor and has for the most part been transcribed from the California Drivers Handbook.

Texas law states that the driver turning left must yield to oncoming traffic whether that traffic is continuing straight or turning right. The only time that a left turning driver has the right of way is at an intersection with a left turn signal (arrow) and the arrow is green. The LAW does not require that turning traffic merge into any particular lane or any lane at all for that matter as turning onto or from the shoulder is specifically permitted with right turns.

However...and a big however at that, the law also states that a driver may only enter an intersection when it is safe to do so and the intersection is clear. That doesn't mean you can cut somebody off by getting into the inerstection ahead of them, but it does mean they are responsible for making certain that the intersection is unobstructed before they enter.

Courts of law and insurance companies are very different things and have entirely different agendas. You have nothing to lose by filing a claim with her company since you were the struck vehicle. Go for it!

I am not a lawyer or insurance adjuster but have been a Certified Texas Peace Officer since 1979.
    I won my dispute when I made my left hand turn back in april. (Very different circumstances)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If a person has the ability to avoid an accident it is their responsibility to do so. If not they are at fault?

Example: a 1/4 mile ahead someones car stalls while trying to make a left hand turn to cross over into a parking lot. It is a 3 lane road with little or no traffic. The car that isn't moving hasn't moved any further. The person in the lane of traffic is doing the posted speed limit lets say 45 mph. That does not give that person the right to plow into the car that is stalled just because they are in their lane of traffic.

From what I understand MadMonkey to be saying. It sounds like to me if the accused was paying a lick of attention to driving instead of whatever else she was doing. She would have looked up at the road and recognized a car there that wasn't moving and was waiting for her to move past to complete the turn. Instead she decided to drive directly into him. In doing so created the acciident that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Thanks for the tips everybody, except for BR.
    Of all the advice given, mine was probably the most valuable.

If you ever convince a girl to marry you or that mail order bride application finally goes through, the best response after "I do." is "Yes dear."

...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Of all the advice given, mine was probably the most valuable.

If you ever convince a girl to marry you or that mail order bride application finally goes through, the best response after "I do." is "Yes dear."

the best song that resembles this is by Limb Bizkit "I did it all for the nookie"
    Blah blah blah!

Well, as of now according to them it looks like a 50/50 split... her insurance is paying her damages, and I'm not getting anything (I only have liability). I think I personally made mistakes by not getting a police report (due to new evidence that shows her being at fault), but as it is right now I'm not going to bother with insurance and chalk it up to experience.

Now, for the damage... my Miata was worse than this and I managed to get a decent repair price.

Whatcha think? And cheap places around here for me to consider? I was planning to sell this car before the wreck, but now I doubt I could get anything out of it
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I'll give ya two-fiddy.
    ...and across the line.

Never underestimate...

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Sucks that this has to go 50/50 for you. Having lived in TX for over 8.5 years now, I've seen, heard and experienced my share of "incidents" requiring insurance intervention. I've not been impressed with how it seems that 90% of the time no individual is at fault.

It sounds to me like this has nothing to do with your left-hand turn. The accident happened after you had completed your turn properly. You had 100% control of your lane. It just happened to be immediately after you completed a proper left-hand turn. But that doesn't seem like it should be a consideration.

My interpretation of what I've read in this thread is that the offending driver made an improper right-hand turn and hit a car that was traveling straight in its lane.

One person was driving properly, one person was not - but it's shared fault.

Lovely....