Thread: Favorite Iphone Apps

Default Favorite Iphone Apps

I finally caved in and crossed over to the dark side last night since my Blackjack has been acting up. Picked up an 8 gig Iphone 3G. What are your favorite free or cheap apps? So far I have Pandora, Facebook, Shazam (records a clip of a song on the radio/over the air and tells you what it is), AIM, Wikipedia, Showtimes, Urbanspoon (uses GPS to tell you what resatuarants are around) and of course Ebay.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Of course I'm going to respond to this thread!

Most of my apps where free.

News Apps:
    Mobile News - good free news source but a bit buggy. It will crash some times.

Service Apps:
    Where - location of cheap fuel prices.

Music Apps:
    AOL Radio - Another good free internet radio program.
    Simplify - Get it while it's free. Access your entire iTunes database anywhere

Games:
    MarbleMash Lite -Marble game like a futuristic Labyrinth.
    Labyrinth - Classic maze game of a steel ball and a wood box. (I bought the full version)
    Break Classic - Breakout style game.
    Othello - Classic board game with black and white pieces.
    Hanoi - Zen style game.
    Tris - Tetris game. (Download while you can. It may get yanked due to dispute with Tetris game makers)
    Tap Tap Revenge - Awesome Guitar hero style game. (Download more free tracks from the menu option in the game)
    Cookie Bonus Solitaire (Has an annoying ad screen but a fun game)
    Blanks - Good word definition time waster
    Mr. Trivia Lite - Good until you memorize all the answers.
    Pop Quiz! - Better trivia game. More questions.
    Chimps Ahoy! Lite - Fun two sided breakout style game.
    Cannon - Easy but fun trajectory game.
    Jacks or Better - Poker game
    Black Jack Run - A fun face-paced spin off of blackjack.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

How accurate is the gas one? Does it update twice a day or what? On the Simplify app, how does it let you access your entire itunes? Does your home computer have to be online and it streams from it ala Slingbox? Does it work for videos you have on your home computer itunes?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    How accurate is the gas one? Does it update twice a day or what? On the Simplify app, how does it let you access your entire itunes? Does your home computer have to be online and it streams from it ala Slingbox? Does it work for videos you have on your home computer itunes?

The gas one seems accurate but I haven't used it a lot. The Simplify app requires a program to run on your PC and I assume it streams it like Slingbox. Audio only.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

writing pad - slide over the letters to type a word instead of tap tap tap. learns new words, very good predictor as to what you are trying to type.

pageonce - quick (but limited) access to a ton of different types of accounts- travel social, finance, etc., etc., etc.

GPS tracker - web based tracker. free app and free service, a bit limited in features.

PangeaVR - viewer for 360 panorama pics from a bunch of sources around the world, uses the touch controls to navigate the pics. Very, very cool!

vsnax and truveo - video viewers. both have good points.

Labyrinth Lite - OK game w/only 10 free levels, but it includes a level (as in bubble level) that is pretty accurate, I wouldn't build a house with it, but it works pretty good.

Dynolicious is pretty cool, but isn't really useful unless you go to the dragstrip.

If you are a weather watcher, WeatherBug and the best animated radar loop is at http://nctcog.org/weather/radaranimate.asp?T=1 (you have to hit the little "start" button)

If you plan on converting vids to watch, Format Factory is easy, free and will convert a ton of formats into a ton of other different formats.

And if you plan on using any apps whatsoever on your cool new jPhone, get separate charging setups for the your house, every car you might drive, your friend's houses, your family's houses, etc. The battery life sucks..... but damn its a cool toy!

Security tip, set your home button to ipod or home so that nobody can pick up your jPhone and go through your address book, send email, use safari without putting in your passcode!
    Last edited by autocrosspicturesnet; 09-03-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typo