Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so my crappy cast manifold kept warping and bolts kept stretching...

Default so my crappy cast manifold kept warping and bolts kept stretching...

There is one problem with my car. It cools fine, everything worked right...except the manifold keeps warping, flanges warp, and the studs stretch. I haven't been able to fix it, and aparently this is unavoidable with cast manifolds for everyone but Keith Verges. Considering I had a little money set aside for drama like this, I pulled the trigger on a design that I won't have to rip and reinstall after every track event, and I'll get specifically more performance out of it. 9:1 cars with this manifold, smaller dp, and gt2560 are making 300whp at 16psi. I plan to run as little as 10psi and make 250whp on a real dyno. I'll tune it up to 18psi or so (400whp?) just because.

so I bought one of these:

Since I'm bleeding money everywhere, feel free to come over and help me install because I may bleed some money into your pockets. lol.

If this doesn't work on the track, I'm selling everything and going NA with a cage in my ugly miata, and the green car gets an AC and comfy seats put back in it.

I think I have a guy who's going to make the intercooler piping and mate the exhaust so I'm pretty confident that I'll make it to Hallett with the set-up.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

What's your ETA on getting this to you? Tim making the manifold and DP for you?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    What's your ETA on getting this to you? Tim making the manifold and DP for you?

Chris
    he swore up and down that I'd have it in my hands no later than sept 14th. He just had a c6z twin-turbo job come through the shop that he must do first, but he said it will be here sooner. I would much rather just buy a few sets of r-comps, but this is what I have to deal with.

Mmmm...Absurdflow!!

When's the install day?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Driver

Other than the tial bov that's a purty setup!

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Other than the tial bov that's a purty setup!
    yeah, um...that's a wastegate.

Looks like a bunch of anacondas in heat. Saw it on the Discovery Channel last week...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

forgot one:

The wastegate tube is less a mode of exhaust gas transportation, and more a piece of art:

You can see all the way through to the final straight section from the mouth:

So how much more is this than the BEGI stuff?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    So how much more is this than the BEGI stuff?

Chris
    a little cheaper, and his manifold looks to be light-years ahead of begi in runner placement, coupler design, wastegate placement, and downpipe shape. There is one bend in the dp.

so, my turbo shit is shipping tomorrow. Every weld is argon back-purged, gussetts on every weld, Burn's double-slips, Burns inconel springs, TiAL v-bands on everything (noth the cheap shit...Get a towel:

It looks pretty good. I like the way that it appears you can get to all the head bolts easily. As well as most everything else.
    Blah blah blah!

I like that.

Wait, that's an understatement. I LOVE it.

I'd be interested in knowing what it would cost to replace my stock setup with something like this. I'm looking at going that route in the next 18 months, once I get the rest of the car dialed in.

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltFire View Post
    I like that.

Wait, that's an understatement. I LOVE it.

I'd be interested in knowing what it would cost to replace my stock setup with something like this. I'm looking at going that route in the next 18 months, once I get the rest of the car dialed in.
    I budgeted money for drama like this because its not my first turbo build. I can't discuss the price, but lets just go over a few things, before you decide you need this:

TiAL housing $400 ($1500 for the turbo from TiAL, you can't use your turbo with this housing)
    TiAL MVS is $280
    Each flange pair is $90 with a the clamp...you need at least 2 big ones for the turbo, one for the DP
    Burns' double slips are just as expensive as they look (lets say $40 each), you need 2
    water-jetted head flanges are $130 in 304ss if you want the good, thick stuff

So if you had a turbo, we're up to $980 just in parts ($2000 because you need the turbo too)...just parts. You still have to buy all the pipe, labor, and labor, and labor. Then, you'll need someone to make intercooler pipes and mate the downpipe to the exhaust...which I also used v-bands on.

Its not that expensive when you consider the competition and quality...its supposedly 2nd to none. I've looked at a few cars at the big money events like Redline Time Attack, NASA TT, ALMS, and I mean this with all sincerity, the build quality on these hot-parts have more reliability engineered into them than those million-dollar professional teams. I did not expect to see things like 100% argon purging, gussets, and burns slips on this stuff when I bought in. This is the 2nd kit of its kind and I think the builder wanted a little exposure, and really wanted me to take this car to Hallett and sow off the reliability. The other kit had gussets added to it after its first track event, and I have a thicker head-flange, but that kit has now been through 2-days of extreme driving at Calspeed and he didn't have to touch it. I'm excited...and upping the insurance coverage.

So I take it these new parts did not come from BEGI?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    So I take it these new parts did not come from BEGI?
    They came from AbsurdFlow or TurboTim who's a fabricator at Shore Motorsports in New Jersey and also a design engineer for Jesel. He's made a few pieces for 2 other street cars, and now there are 2 of these kits on the streets. Apparently there's a line forming to get these parts now that they're proving to be reliable. I predict that every fast turbo miata in the nation ends up running this kit because its the only way we've been able to alleviate the stretchy studs.

Yup, I've been looking at Tim's stuff.

Good to know on the price breakdown; this is not my first turbo car either. I know they get expensive when you do it all right.

I'm also asking because my neighbor and I are embarking on a DIY turbo for one of his vehicles. We will be doing a POC first, then using better parts, etc for the final build. The individual part breakdown is exactly what I wanted.

Looks like beautiful stuff! Maybe someday I'll go to that type of setup.

Chassis Designer

Looks like you're missing a passenger....
    '95R

I asked Tim once what he would charge me. He said If I had to ask it was to much.........

Sounds funny but I always need a ball park before I jump into something.

Did your Begi kit have the external wastegate? Those seem to be the ones with those problems. I never had any issue with the plain cast mani I had.

Good Luck this kit looks WICKED!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast