Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with people driving like idiots around the MX-5?

Default What's the deal with people driving like idiots around the MX-5?

I've had this car for 2 years now, but before I had it, I was driving a Ford Explorer. While I was driving that, people weren't nearly as idiotic around me as they are with the Miata. When I'm out in the Miata, I get ricers wanting to race me all the time. And today I had a guy in a 5.0 Mustang (the old ones) revving his engine behind me at a stop light. I can't count how many times I've been cut off. I've had people blatantly pull out right in front of me even while looking right at me!

I'm thinking about driving with my brights on during the day.

You are no the first to mention this about driving a Miata in the metromess
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I have problems with people cutting me off in my Miata. I have the same problem in my finance's 95 Civic. SUVs and trucks think their size intimidates people driving small cars, so they do what they want.

That is why I carry around a dart gun and shoot their tires out.

Not really... But I've thought about it.

I had my boost and a/f gauge mounted on the A pillar for a little over a year. I couldn't drive 5 miles without someone trying to race me. It was so annoying that I finally moved my gauges to below the stereo. It is harder to see them with a quick glance, but at least I am not challenged by every asshat in a Mustang/Supra/riced out Honda.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

i've never had a problem, i just start by driving like a bigger ass so all the little asses will leave me alone.

Nobody gives me grief in any case. I probably drive my stocker like a total ass, but I do my best not to really affect other drivers in a way that makes it a big deal (cutting them off or forcing them to slow down or change directions because of me). On the other hand, they could just not be messing with me because they feel sorry for the big fat guy in the cute little chick car.
    Bryan
    1991 Mariner Blue | I Hate Everything

Blog Entries

I get tailgated a lot, I think people are trying to figure out what kind of car it is. The hardtop aggravates the situation. Try keeping your pistol on the dash, nickel plated seems to work best.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

I say "hey sexy" with a lisp, then proceed to bite my lip and giggle. The other drivers tend to leave me alone after that.

LMAO.

If you think it's bad in a Miata try a motorcycle :) The shit that people do to you and then if you talk to them they are like "I never saw you" just blows your mind.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by aalvarez04 View Post
    I say "hey sexy" with a lisp, then proceed to bite my lip and giggle. The other drivers tend to leave me alone after that.
    So, just be like Cory, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    LMAO.

If you think it's bad in a Miata try a motorcycle :) The shit that people do to you and then if you talk to them they are like "I never saw you" just blows your mind.

That's why I used to carry a roll of pennies with me on my bike. Someone wanted to tailgate, I'd start letting pennies go one by one. Usually after the 3rd they'd back off quite a bit.

LMAO.

They probably did not not see you. They were probably texting, talking on the cell phone or just driving with their head so far up their ass they would not see a 747 landing next to them.

My favorite is when they turn on their windshield wiper sprayers thinking they are going to get you wet. They dont realize we dont get wet when we have the top down and moving.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

That's the main reason why I sold my last bike and bought my first Miata.

That is why I put the air horn in! I am still thinking of putting in a even louder horn. As far as shooting the tires, I always think it would be nice to have those machine guns in the James Bond's Aston Martin back in the 70's. As for tail gating, the most effective weapon would be having a trigger nostril in the oil pan to release some Mobile 1 from the back of the car!
    Gabriel

Usually I get big bubba trucks or ghetto SUVs on 22s convinced that because my car is small I must be a wuss and easily intimidated. Im not. I normally mind my own business but if someone pulls up right on my ass on the freeway with other lanes open I will make it my priority to be the biggest ass right back to them. This includes missing my exit, driving 40mph on the freeway, etc... whatever it takes to get them to go around. Especailly because im normally driving 75 or 80 on any given road, no reason for me to move. And the headlight flash...arggg that just gets under my skin. I will return any headlight flash with a stab at the brake.

I've been trying to be better with road rage and have calmed way down pretty much...especially after I got a CHL and sometimes have my 2 month in my car.

Ricers...haven't had any trouble with them lately. When I had my Civic I'd get them all the freakin time especially when I had my autoX wheels on which were white. White wheels attract ricers like crap attracts flies, I had so many ricer incidents on those wheels. After I took them off, no real problems. Even after I put the OldSkools on the miata I don't have any ricer problems.

I did get some guys in a trashed drifto 240, they gave me the dirty stare down, pulled ahead and stuck out their hands in a thumbs up. It was wierd.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    I get this crap all the time. Usually big bubba trucks or ghetto SUVs on deuce deuces convinced that because my car is small I must be a wuss and easily intimidated. Im not. I normally mind my own business but if someone pulls up right on my ass on the freeway with other lanes open wanting me to move I will make it my priority to be the biggest ass right back to them. This includes missing my exit, driving 40mph on the freeway, etc... whatever it takes to get them to go around. I hate being bullied in my little car especailly because im normally driving 75 or 80 on any given road, no reason for me to move. And the headlight flash...arggg that just gets under my skin. I will return any headlight flash with a stab at the brake.
    So you feel 80 is fast enough for anybody in the left lane and they should pass you on the right if lanes are open? And if they give you the customary headlight flash (nicer than a horn IMO) you brake check them?

Oh one more thing I've noticed. Living in the mid cities driving has been pretty much calm without incident.

The 3 weeks I had to drive my pregnant wife to work in downtown dallas, my driving stress level skyrocketed. And after I started picking up my son in Grand Prairie 3 times a week I've so far almost been purposfully ran under a big rig, stared down at every light, had to drive like im on an obstacle course to dodge all the half drunk lunatics, been tailgated incessantly, been forced to listen to up to 8 different rap songs blaring at the same time in traffic...

Dallas sucks man.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    So you feel 80 is fast enough for anybody in the left lane and they should pass you on the right if lanes are open? And if they give you the customary headlight flash (nicer than a horn IMO) you brake check them?
    Actually when im in the fast lane I usually move over if I see someone coming up quick. I typed that out earlier but edited it out with another paragraph. I try to stay out of the fast lane anyway. I only get pissed when im in the middle or right lane and the freeway is way open. It just bugs me when they have 4 lanes of freedom and I'm the one who needs to move when im already driving 75 or 80.

And the headlight flash is'nt a nice gesture when their truck is less than a foot from my rear bumper, it's a "im bigger than you so get the hell out of my way" gesture at that point. Doesn't sit well with me. I just stab the brake quickly to lift the tail a bit and flash the brake lights. I'm not trying to get rear ended.

I used to be much worse, but like I said I've calmed down pretty much. Now I just let off the gas and let them pass.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 06-18-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast