Thread: interesting places youd want to drive

Default interesting places youd want to drive

I was making a picture album/bucket list of places I would like to go. The only list similar is places I want to drive. (other than racetracks) Any ways I stumbled on this forum and thought Id share. Is there anywhere you would like to drive? It doesnt have to be anything super fancy like Targa Newfoundland... I wish I knew the place where you can drive your car through the sequoia tree like here...

Anyways theres some really cools places to drive. Wheres some places youve been or want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by BAM! View Post
    I wish I knew the place where you can drive your car through the sequoia tree like here...
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2043

I always wanted to go out in the Nevada desert.

Hwy 1 up the coast to the giant redwoods and the wine country of California.
    The Amalfi Coast Italy (more wine)
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Just read an article yesterday about DePoe Bay on the central Oregon coast. Sounded like a nice drive down the Pacific Coast Highway.

The alcan highway.
    Highway to the sun in Glacier National Park

Labrador New Foundland. Preferably for the Targa races. I visited St Johns on the way back from Morocco Africa and it was AWESOME :)
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    The alcan highway.
    Highway to the sun in Glacier National Park
    +1 on this road. Loop around Turquoise Lake in Leadville, Co is like a baby TOD. Awesome in the summer, of course. Utah has some great roads. The elevation drop from Flagstaff to Phoenix, Az is quite spectacular as well.
    I use to worry about money; but then realized I don't HAVE anything to worry about.

Malibu canyon runs are a lot of fun. I took my dad's S2000 out there when I was visiting and had a blast. Would also like to drive the Isle of Mann.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Although I've driven up and down PCH, I'd like to do it in my Miata instead of an F-350 someday.

And even though it's short, Kanan Road is awesome and leads almost directly to my favorite place on Earth.
    Oh, well I've got two sevens, and two sevens beats a frush.

Quote Originally Posted by BAM! View Post
    I wish I knew the place where you can drive your car through the sequoia tree like here
    Beat ya to it!

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    I always wanted to go out in the Nevada desert.
    Beat ya to it!

Quote Originally Posted by bnordin View Post
    Hwy 1 up the coast to the giant redwoods
    Beat ya to it!

There's a LOT of places left where I want to go.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

The "Million Dollar" highway. Highway 550 between Durango, Co and Ouray, Co. I have driven this road but always iwth a 4x4 going between trails. This road would be an absolute blast in Miata. Multiple 11K+ foot passes, twisty moutain roads, Lots of elvetation changes and well maintained paved road surface.

I want to take a beater Miata to Alaska...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    The "Million Dollar" highway. Highway 550 between Durango, Co and Ouray, Co. I have driven this road but always iwth a 4x4 going between trails. This road would be an absolute blast in Miata. Multiple 11K+ foot passes, twisty moutain roads, Lots of elvetation changes and well maintained paved road surface.
    Awesome road, I got to drive it in my parents old altima while on vacation (also pikes peak). I would love to go back in my miata now that I'm a little bit more mature and slightly better driver LOL
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Here's three that I love to drive. I haven't driven them in a Miata yet, but have on a motorcycle which is almost as good.

Two are in South Dakota's Black Hills and one (the most dangerous of the three) is east of Phoenix.

Iron Mountain Rd. (route 16) approaches Mt. Rushmore from the south. Great scenery with switchbacks and wooden bridge cloverleafs.

Spearfish Canyon (route 14) is scenic and very smooth.

Apache Trail (route 88 is the best, most beautiful, and most dangerous road I've driven. Looks like a roadrunner cartoon with sheer rock cliffs and no shoulders or guardrails at all.

Almost lost a good friend on this road back in 87. We were road racing and he hit a small patch of sand that had fallen in the lane from the cliff above. It caused his rear tire to break free and the bike to go down. He let his legs go wide, kicked hard with his right leg, and throttled it open. The bike's rear tire found traction and he saved it. We went through three or four more turns before we could find room to pull our bikes over. We got off and walked back to wear Jim almost lost it and saw the little sand patch and a chunk in the asphalt not far from it. That's where his engine case hit the road. We walked about twenty feet from that and looked down 50-60 feet of cliff where he would've gone had he not saved it. There was a rusted wreckage of a Fiero down there. We took it easy the remainder of that day.
    Attached Images Attached Images