Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will adding a spoiler change me from stock class?

Default Will adding a spoiler change me from stock class?

I recently bought a 1990 miata to use as an autocross toy. I have zero experience behind the wheel on any track. The car is going into paint this week and I'd like to try it out this coming weekend if possible.

I'm sure I've missed it, but I'm looking for a copy of rules and classes for the miata. Right off, I bought a rear spoiler (I believe from an M miata?), and was wondering if this would mess me up in driving a stock miata? Currently the car is completely stock with high mileage.

Safety wise, what do I need to check before racing? Where can I run it this weekend? Any opinions on best club or organization to join?

Sorry if these are common questions, but I wasn't able to find what I was looking for by searching.

Technically, yes, it would bump you from stock for ER and SCCA events. However, I doubt anyone local would care... at least until you beat everyone.

It would not matter for BMW, NTAXS, or PCA events.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The problem with SCCA and ER is that stock means stock, and they are very strict. The problem with the other clubs is there aren't enough rules.

A lot of times, what happens is someone brings their daily driver to an SCCA event only to discover that they did something to make their car look cool, and now they are competing with folks who have lost countless hours of sleep studying the rules to find a fair advantage.

You'll probably want to start in the novice class. Just run what you have, get some seat time, and then you'll know if all the requirements matter. By then, you will either be staying up nights or move on to some other addiction.

In the meantime, the SCCA rule book is available online here. Appx A will get you started. Sections 3, 4, 12, 13 and the rest will make you worry. Basically, if your car didn't come with an add-on from the factory, you can't add it and be stock. The exceptions are cat-back exhaust, front sway bar, shocks, and 'comfort and convenience items'. A turbo is not a comfort or convenience item.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Thanks, I'll take a look. What about pulling the spoiler off for events? That would leave a non-stock hole in the trunk, would that matter?

The rules on mods and how they relate to autocross classing vary by club - the best way to go about it would be to find the club you would like to join and then study the rules for what can and can't be done for a particular class and plan your mods from there.
    BMWCCA is very friendly for Miatas (X if NA, Y if FI) and there's usually loads of Miatas running on a given weekend.
    Then there is SCCA - their classing rules are somewhere between a pot of spaghetti and a Dan Brown novel - lots of sleuthing and trying to make sense of it all, some of which you simply can't. There is a stock class to join, but I think you should hold off on adding the spoiler unless you do the full R package install - front and rear air dam and some other interior bits are required.
    I believe ER uses SCCA classing.

All in all, the rear spoiler won't make much or any impact at autocross speeds.

All the local clubs and schedules can be found here http://dfwautocross.com/

From a progression perspective for a first track outing - make it safe, make it stop, make it reliable, make it turn, make it go.

General safety check should cover seat belts, lights, windshield, etc. Here's the tech form for BMWCCA http://www.lscbmwcca.org/other/techinspection.pdf and another for The Drivers Edge, http://www.thedriversedge.net/Tech%20Sheet%202010.pdf. Remember, these are just the minimum requirements.

Fuel system - gas cap seals, all hoses are tight, and the system doesn't give off fuel vapors.

An exceptionally thorough cleaning - clean everything that has an oil seal above or in front of it. Differential, front and rear of transmission, engine compartment, and put particular focus on the back side of the motor where the CAS mounts and the drivers side frame under the brake and clutch resovoirs. If the car is oozing fluid, you'll want a clean base to track it down and fix it. If you haven't changed your CAS o-ring yet, it's probably leaking. Investigate any odd smells.

General nut and bolt check - make sure all fasteners are there and they're working.

Brakes - check pad and rotor thickness and flush the system with new fluid. Verify the calipers are working properly and that there's no excessive drag when you let off the brakes. That would indicate a bad caliper or brake assembly that could cause excessive heat and premature failure.

Cooling system - go through every water hose in the engine bay and check for discoloration, bulges and pin holes and the areas around them for signs of dried water. AX and track days will stress your cooling system and build pressures that will cause aged hoses to fail. Mazdaspeed (you'll want to get registered for the parts support) http://www.mazdaspeeddevelopment.com has a hose kit that contains every water hose under the hood. If the top tank of the radiator is brown/gray/green colored, it should be considered for replacement as well, as the color change indicates the tank is worn out and will fail. It may pop in 10 miles, it may pop in 1000 miles, but it will pop (usually spectacularly). If you're running antifreeze/water mix, I'd recommend this gets done before going on track or to an autocross. Antifreeze is more slippery than oil, it's harder for a driver to see, and it takes longer to clean up. Alternately, flush repeatedly (to get the rust out) and fill with distilled water and water wetter and swap it out for antifreeze for the winter layup period.

Suspension and steering - check for excessive wear and free play. Check dust boots for cracks and tears, and make sure the upper and lower ball joints are tight and for any slop in the tie rod ends. Get an alignment and make sure all of the control arm bushings are in good shape.

Check wheel bearings for free play.

Investigate odd sounds - squeaks and rattles are pretty common to a Miata, but clunks aren't and indicate something is wrong.

Change all fluids - engine oil, transmission, differential, coolant.

For your first few outings, focus on safety and reliability and try to avoid power adders. If you're new to track and autocross events, the first thing you'll learn is that you've never driven a car in this manner - there's a pretty steep learning curve in learning the capabilities of the car and the awareness to do it safely with others around you. The car is quite capable in stock form, and the real attraction to the car is how it handles rather than how fast it goes.

I've only been at this for a year, so others more versed may have more insight.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Good stuff, thanks.

Everything said above is correct, but the spoiler you bought would not be a problem at LOCAL events, even though it technically doesn't meet stock requirements. If you are gaining a competitive advantage from it or you are participating at the Divisional or National level, then it is a problem. Since that spoiler gives no real advantage at autox speeds, I wouldn't sweat it. Its considered good sportsmanship to "declare" something like that to the other competitiors in your class so it doesn;t appear that you are trying to sneak anything past them. This only applies at SCCA-rules events (SCCA and Equipe Rapide clubs) any other club won;t care at all.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I was hoping it wouldn't matter. Competively, I can't imagine having any advantage at all. I was adding it only as a cosmetic add-on. In fact the only reason I wanted the rear spoiler is that it is similar in style to the new camaro, and since I'm building a "tribute" to the Transformers movie camaro, I thought it added just a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Everything said above is correct, but the spoiler you bought would not be a problem at LOCAL events, even though it technically doesn't meet stock requirements.
    I don't know about that I got to talk to a fellow competitor and mentor about the legality of the wing on the POSIV at the last local event.

I ended up blaming my co driver for putting it on the car....

What spoiler is it that you got marmed??

BTW if anyone has an R Package Trunk Spoiler for sale (red please) so I can remove the cheater spoiler from the POSIV please shoot me a PM I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    What spoiler is it that you got marmed??
    I'm not sure what spoiler I have, here's a pic...

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You'll probably want to start in the novice class.
    Until they kick you out
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    Until they kick you out
    Pipe down, chalk boy.

Uh okay, so I'll either get the boot, or everything will be okay? lol

Just go to a non-scca sanctioned (rules heavy) event. Check out a BMW autocross or something first. I've personally found that the amount of rules in SCCA sanctioned events generally sucks all the fun out of it for me. I'm out there to have fun not chase my tail around in circles over a rule book that says my lip spoiler is unfair.

That spoiler you have by the way looks like a regular lip spoiler that I've seen on a few Miatas. My dad has one on his Miata that we got off of a wrecked out BRG Miata at a junkyard.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

With the novice class, I think you're supposed to be able to run a full season. If memory serves there's a provision for winning (3 events, maybe) your way into getting bumped up.

Or, someone might be eyeballing you and deem your capabilities to be greater than what is expected from a novice - a sand-bagger's bump of sorts.

All kinds of nefarious business for $3.00 trophies in regional SCCA events.

Chris

I'm holding off on bigger wheels, so I wouldn't get bumped up. I guess if I do get bumped up, then I can at least have my 15" wheels right?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by marmed View Post
    I'm holding off on bigger wheels, so I wouldn't get bumped up. I guess if I do get bumped up, then I can at least have my 15" wheels right?
    Right...you'll end up in CSP most likely.

marmed you want to get more confused post this question on Miata.net!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Right...you'll end up in CSP most likely.
    STS.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast