Thread: Yokohama S-Drives or Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Default Yokohama S-Drives or Dunlop Direzza DZ101

Thinking about putting "regular" tires on the miata for DD duty. I've been looking at Dunlop direzza DZ101s and Yokohama S-Drives. Anyone used either one? Thoughts on them? And seeing as I can get the 195/50/15 for $66 & $71 that's what I've been looking at. If I step up to 205/50s I might as well get the kumho XS as they are only $88 a piece.

Thanks for any feed back!
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

aalvarez04 has the Dunlops on his NB and he doesn't like them much. I've heard good things about the s.drives.
    I just bought a set of DD tires for mine. I gave these Continentals a try. They had really good reviews.
    I like them a lot so far, they have great traction. They do not have a stiff sidewall so the ride is smooth and quiet, however steering response isn't the best.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Blog Entries

DD, where'd you see the s.drives? Was that local (if so, where) or online?

Regards.

I'm having S-drives mounted up today, as is my buddy. I'll give you some feedback if you have time to let me form an opinion before you buy.

I had sdrives on my nb for two years+ and used them at three track events. Good tire, but not super sticky of course. I thought it was a fine street tire and very predictable at the track. I now have RE-11 which stick way better but wont last near as long on the street.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

I've had 195/50/15 S-Drives for a couple of years now. The wear has been very good (lasted much longer than I expected). I switched to them mainly for cost as you've pointed out. I ordered mine through Discount Tire in Grapevine. I can't complain about performance. I don't auto cross or anything like that, but they stick in the tight turns where I live nicely.

My wife had Continental DSW's on her car. She liked them just fine, but when it came time to replace them, she chose to go with a Yokohama YK series (again, cost vs. longevity).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Not one of your choices but I have been very please with the Falken Ziex ZE-912 for a DD tire. All season performance and long lasting. I can't say how they do on the track though.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

+1, the 912s aren't half bad for daily driver. You won't win any autoXs with them though. Steering response was not sloppy, but I did have them on 15x8s.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Not one of your choices but I have been very please with the Falken Ziex ZE-912 for a DD tire. All season performance and long lasting. I can't say how they do on the track though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    +1, the 912s aren't half bad for daily driver. You won't win any autoXs with them though. Steering response was not sloppy, but I did have them on 15x8s.
    +2 on that tire. I'm on my 2nd set. Definitely not a track tire, but plenty good in wet or dry conditions.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I have s-drives on my MINI. I like them fine as people have mentioned, but they do aquaplane BADLY when worn.
    2001 BRG Miata SE and 2007 MINI Cooper S

I only have ~100 miles, but they are really nice. The lower sidewall is deceiving in that I would not expect it to be so forgiving; that's a nice tribute to using good energy absorbing compounds. Quiet, comfortable, and very planted. They really soak up road irregularities and make driving nice.

Drove an Atom on tiny S-Drives today at ECR. Shockingly good, though I attribute most of it to the car. Still, they took the abuse and never got greasy.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

More miles, more happy. I'm quite pleased with these things.

I've had the Dunlop DZ101 205/50 on 15x8s and love the wear so far. They grip pretty well in the dry and the grip has surprised me in the rain in a good way.
    Next time I'm finding a tire that's 225/45/15 though.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.