Thread: Raceland 4-2-1 install ? whos' done it on an NA 1.6 ?

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

Default Raceland 4-2-1 install ? whos' done it on an NA 1.6 ?

Looking at the Raceland 4-2-1 header and wanted some feedback on installation.
    I can work it on the driveway slab but will I need to have the car lifted on a hoist
    to install ?

Any help would be great....
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

Don't have one personally. From some quick reading on the board, looks like fitment is decent. NA owners generally didn't have much issue with install and only need to lift the car a bit to work at the header-cat connection point. NB owners seem to have to disconnect at least one of the motor mounts and, in some cases, extend the O2 wiring.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I did not have any problems. You will need to buy an O2 sensor with a longer wire or extend it yourself.

I did mine on jack stands.

JRJ512, did you have to push your motor over to the passenger side for install? Does this header attach directly to the head without
    a gasket ? I seem to be getting the impression thats what happens. Seems wrong though.

I did not have to move the motor at all. I am pretty sure that I used the gasket that came with the header.

I installed an e-bay special on my '91 a while back. It really wasnt too bad. I did have to enlargen the bolt holes to allow it to properly seat itself against the engine block. I also found that it was very easy to get the header into the engine bay if I pushed (just by hand, no pry bar) the engine towards the passenger side. As for the O2 sensor, I just bought some electrical wire and extended the cable. Never had any trouble from the header or sensor.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Interesting ! Did you have to enlarge all the bolt holes or just a few ? And when you say Installed a while back how long ?
    1 year, 6 months, or ?

Thanks to all for the info, Makes me think this Raceland header will do the trick.
    I know it's not going to pull big gains in power, Thats fine even a few will be fine.
    Many people on these sites are power junkies And I get it that turbo power is
    awesome, huge gains and so on.
    The issues I have with this mod is all the handshake mods that must accompany
    the turbo installation. Even installing everything myself it can still be more then
    $3000. Turbo, exhaust, wiring, fuel management system, clutch, rear dif, motor
    mounts, ect.
    It's not all plug and play....