Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo vs supercharger

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Reading Miata.net, first thing you did wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    Reading Miata.net, first thing you did wrong.
    That's why I ask all my questions here!

Honestly, I didn't know a naturally aspirated build to 150hp is that cheap. I figured it would cost at least $4k and up.

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    My car does need a new suspension, but I've already got all of that figured out. I'm just trying to sort out the power options now. And yes, I'll upgrade the suspension before I get the power.

I didn't know 150-160 naturally aspirated power could be achieved on the Miata at a reasonable price. Reading Miata.net, everyone seems to say that it's incredibly expensive. But I don't really know.

You have a really good point about TDR being close by, and that does give the SC the upperhand in the D/FW area in a sense. Reliability, not power, is my #1 concern. Having a nice shop nearby for maintenance is a plus.
    Oh, and to be clear, I'm not going to track the car.

I didn't know 150-160 naturally aspirated power could be achieved on the Miata at a reasonable price. Reading Miata.net, everyone seems to say that it's incredibly expensive. But I don't really know.

You have a really good point about TDR being close by, and that does give the SC the upperhand in the D/FW area in a sense. Reliability, not power, is my #1 concern. Having a nice shop nearby for maintenance is a plus.
    For me, if it's not 100% reliable with very little maintenance, then it's not fun.
    Honestly, I didn't know a naturally aspirated build to 150hp is that cheap. I figured it would cost at least $4k and up.
    You can do MSpnp, 2001 bottom end, 99-head, and a4.10 w/6-speed and go very fast...on a track. You'll hate that on the street. You can make 150whp for probably $2500 without finding deals using off the shelf parts and a John Day Machine.
    Oh, and to be clear, I'm not going to track the car.
    You're not "living". If you're not going to track the car, and you're certain of that, then the car will see so little stress/duty that it won't break.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Blog Entries

Ive heard I can rebuild my 1.6 transmission into a 1.8 and upgrade it. Is this true and if not what can handle 250 hp to 300hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-92 miata View Post
    Ive heard I can rebuild my 1.6 transmission into a 1.8 and upgrade it. Is this true and if not what can handle 250 hp to 300hp?
    I don't know if that first part is true, but on average it will cost $300+ in labor just to do swap out parts. When you can get a used 5 speed for $250, it's not only worth it to rebuild.

6speed's are the only miata trans that can handle 250hp+.

Blog Entries

Well damn but a 6 speed won't fit in a 92 Miata will it?

it fits

Blog Entries

Holy shit! I think I might do that what's their stock hp and tq anyone know?

what's their stock hp and tq anyone know?
    their? What are you talking about?

Blog Entries

The 6 speed Miatas horse power and torque

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

The 6 speed Miatas horse power and torque
    has nothing to do with any power lvl, the 6 speed miata's are 01+ se with 110whp and 04 msm with a different 6 speed with 150whp. the msm trans just has stronger gears getting you past that 200-250hp braking point of the 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    has nothing to do with any power lvl, the 6 speed miata's are 01+ se with 110whp and 04 msm with a different 6 speed with 150whp. the msm trans just has stronger gears getting you past that 200-250hp braking point of the 5 speed.
    My California buddy says the 5-speed has powdered metal gears, 6-speed has "real" metal gears, and the MSM trans is still no cracked open and explored. At 390whp, he goes through them quickly.

Blog Entries

Damn that's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    If I were to do it over, I'd go rotrex (or just buy a bimmer).
    Why is this? I know that Bellwilliam is really fast, but in the dyno sheets I've seen the Rotrex seems to make all it's power and torque pretty high up the RPM range. I'm only asking because I thought about replacing my MP62 with the Rotrex if for no other reason than to save some weight and space in the engine bay. But I like the low end power of the MP62 and don't want to give that up.

Out of curiosity, besides the extra cost, why are the FM kits inferior?
    I know I'm late to the game on this one, but are you asking about the new kits or the older ones you can probably pick up used?
    Last edited by Rob®; 03-11-2011 at 04:10 PM.

You've clearly run across too many posts from POPSTOY about his $10k N/A engine.
    Read up on the junkyard motor that Emilio @ 949 Racing put together a while back. There should still be a link to his car blog on the 949 site.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by MINI-P View Post
    Why is this? I know that Bellwilliam is really fast, but in the dyno sheets I've seen the Rotrex seems to make all it's power and torque pretty high up the RPM range. I'm only asking because I thought about replacing my MP62 with the Rotrex if for no other reason than to save some weight and space in the engine bay. But I like the low end power of the MP62 and don't want to give that up.
    From my total lack of expertise, and just from reading stuff on the webz:
    1.) More efficent (lower intake temps)
    2.) Easier upgrade path to over 250 hp
    3.) My car is tracked more than street and the high rpm on track is it's natural environment, so the powerband should not matter.

Pretty much number 2 though. I thought I would be happy with 200 hp. Then I got tired of seeing vette tailights grow smaller on the straights. I think 300 woud be fun and, from what I've read, it's easier with a rotrex. But I could be way off and totally incorrect.

I really don't see the reasoning for going through the troube of FI on a 99% street car? But then, I drive like an old lady on the street.
    Last edited by SixAce; 03-12-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: oldzheimers

It doesn't really matter how you get to 200 or 250 (two wildly different experiences), it just matters that you get there. Replacing your blower for the Rotrex is not the best idea I've ever heard in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Replacing your blower for the Rotrex is not the best idea I've ever heard in my life.
    Yes, there are better things to spend my money on. But I think I'm in the camp with SixAce that if I had it to do over again I'd prolly go with the Rotrex. I still need an ECU, Aero and a lot more driving lessons. Not necessarily in that order. In fact everyone just go ahead and reverse that order in your head.
    99, MP62, Tien Monoflex, 949/V8 Roadster Control Arms, Wilwood BBK, RB Front sway, Stock Rear Bar, That's the main stuff

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast