Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15x9 949 6ul

Blog Entries

Default 15x9 949 6ul

Do you have to do any body work to the fenders in order, to intall / drive with a 15 x 9 rim? Also do you have to get new suspension and not use oem shocks?

Fine as is, but if you put tires on the rims it could make a difference. YMMV of course.

I bet if you call the place you're thinking about buying them from they will tell you all you need to know. They'll probably tell you a 9" wide wheel isn't needed on a basically stock Miata, but I guess that's a different conversation.

Blog Entries

Well it's going to take time to build up my Miata. That's why I'm asking bc I'm building for the future and checking if I buy these rims now since I can afford them. If I can drive around no problem with stock shocks, and fenders.

I would personally get the 15x8's, the 9's are too aggressive for a daily driver. They use more expensive tires and most likely will require a fender roll, especially on soft stock suspension.

BTW Jon, suspension > wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt V View Post
    BTW Jon, suspension > wheels.
    That's what I was getting at. :)

^ Plus 15x9 it's an extra inch of weight.

And like Matt V said, spend your money on a good suspension. I ran with stock 14s on the FM/AGX suspension for years before I got my 15x8s. Worked just fine for street and autocross. Actually when I start autocrossing again I might put good rubber on the 14s and run them on race weekends. They're way lighter.

Suspension and good tires will give you the best results...and 14" tires are even cheaper.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Wheel fitment is directly affected by suspension rates and ride height. A 15x9 wheel would almost certainly rub badly on jrj512's NA with its low ride height. Come check-out some more miatas at Kellers and the autox's to see the range of setups.

As you're probably realizing, there is almost never a single answer to the questions you're asking.

Also keep in mind that the NA has around 100hp, so with wheels and tires, lighter=better. You can get a lot of cheap performance by ingoring cosmetics and using inexpensive 13" wheels. If you really only care about looks, just keep your boat anchor 17's and cut the factory springs to drop the 4x4 look and find an oak cliff body shop to spray some candy metal flake.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Blog Entries

Thanks guys and ha I am selling my big gangster 17s thank god ha.

15X9 are overkill unless used for track applications, and you have sufficient suspension $$$ to take advantage of the benefits of a 9" wheel.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

On a side note, are you and that Bigrsturbo guy the same person? Join dates are only about a week apart, same train wreck avatar thing, nearly same writing skills, and both claim Ft Worth (not that that's hard to do).

Look at this way. Spec Miatas use a 15x7 wheel and a 205/15/50 tire. They post some of the fastest times on any track. They're even faster than most people running boost with big tires and wheels. Pushing a 225 tire on a 9" rim is not going to make you faster - but it might make you a poser.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

If you want the 15x9 run a 225/45/15 HS3. As for if they will fit with stock suspension... yes it will. At the most you may have to do a slight lip roll or just bend the tabs for the fender liners. I'm running a 15x8 +20 which is very close to where those 6uls sit as far as the outer lip is concerned with 205/50/15 at 11" hub to fender in the front and only get a slight rub on full lock. Just don't lower it as much as mine and give the fender a good roll when you do and it will be fine.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

My 15x8 6ULs with 205/50/15 are the same weight as my stock 6" rims with the same tire size.
    I see no reason to go with the 9" unless you're planning to track the car with an extreme amount of boost.
    I have no problems with rubbing at all and definitely have enough grip. No weight gain is also a major plus with stock power.

'01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

Did you just get those Brandon? I didn't notice them in Southlake.

I may have a set of 15x10 by the end of the year. I bet the DFW crew will really think highly of me then, lol.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

If you really want a wide wheel, I'd go with what Brandon has... 15x8 6ULs
    BTW have you painted your hardtop yet? If not, I would do that first.
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    On a side note, are you and that Bigrsturbo guy the same person? Join dates are only about a week apart, same train wreck avatar thing, nearly same writing skills, and both claim Ft Worth (not that that's hard to do).
    hahaha
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

Het Trey! Have you heard anything as to what the tires are emilo was talking about to fit the 10's and 11's?
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    No I don't know this guy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast