Thread: Stupid P1797 code

Default Stupid P1797 code

Ok,

Back to this stupid code again. I have no idea what's throwing the code. I know what the code is but I don't understand the problem. It appears the be something to do with the clutch switch but not really sure.

I have never figured it out so I have just been resetting it because I hate that "check engine" light being on. The problem with that is at inspection time(yesterday), you get some "not ready" due to the reset. I know when the ECU cycles, the code will pop again. It's always the same code. The car seems to run fine. I'm at a loss, any direction?

On a side note: It's a 96 with a JR M45 and air to water inter cooler. The only weird thing that I have noticed is sometimes the idle will go up and bounce around 2K when coming to a stop. If I lift the pedal with my foot a bit, the idle goes back to normal. This only happens sometimes. Damn gremlins!!!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Titus,

I was reading that last night but what does " No P or N Range or Neutral/Clutch Switch Signal" mean? I did a lot of research last night and I can't figure out what that means. Bad Clutch switch?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'm thinking switch.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Computer cycled and up popped the code again.... got with Gary@TDR and he said it's either the neutral safety switch below the clutch pedal or could be the one on the transmission. He also said the check the wires going to the one on the tranny, they could be unplugged or something. I ordered the inside one so I'll try that first. Does anyone know if i will need a lift to get to the one on the tranny? My car is pretty low so I'm hoping I can access it with the car on jackstands.