Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reassembly day.... today...

Default Reassembly day.... today...

Well,

I'll be working on the Spec all day... if anyone wants to stop over and do some wrenching, give me a shout on my cell phone - (469) 585-2601 - any help would be appreciated!

Still to do: reattach the timing belt, hook up the exhaust & intake manifolds... exhaust downpipe (need the bracket that hooks the pipe to the transmission!!!) Hook up the gas lines, charge the battery & fire it up.

Still needed: bracket for the exhaust that hooks to the transmission... 2 turn signals in the front (bulbs, sockets, & wiring are there, the plastic parts aren't)

If anyone comes over, I'll order pizza, chinese, or some kind of delivery food for lunch - and you can take home misc pulled parts & some venison brauts from the freezer.

I need to get it running so I can get it inspected & get Texas plates on it so the city will shut up hehehehe - they want me to move it to storage.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Is it really worth making it streetable? Just put it in the backyard where they can't see it....

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Is it really worth making it streetable? Just put it in the backyard where they can't see it....
    His plan is to drive to and from Spec races.

Oh, never mind......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Yup!

No room in the garage (all these arcade games & networking stuff) and the gate to the back yard is too narrow.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Yup!

No room in the garage (all these arcade games & networking stuff) and the gate to the back yard is too narrow.

RJ
    Did the city give you an extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Did the city give you an extension?
    Won't know until the guy returns calls after 4pm today!

We'll find out shortly...

He told my wife for me to call him & he'd work with me on it... we'll see what he does.

Hey Todd, thanks for coming over!

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    His plan is to drive to and from Spec races.
    Exactly what I will be doing, one day. I read one of Randy Pobst's articles in Sportscar, and apparently his college roomate had a daily driven IT CRX.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

And I knew someone who drove an IT car to the track as well... until he ended up trying to find his way back to Wichita Falls from NE Okla with an undrivable Scirocco.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it. I know you've probably already heard this from too many people, but eventually there will be damage that renders the car undrivable. It's not the end of the world, and can usually be set right with some shop time. But if you're depending on the car for your ride home things can get pretty hairy.

If you do decide to do it, I'd suggest beginning now by alternating between crewing for others you know who'll be racing at the same venues and working the races. Be very nice and get to know everyone you possibly can.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    And I knew someone who drove an IT car to the track as well... until he ended up trying to find his way back to Wichita Falls from NE Okla with an undrivable Scirocco.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it. I know you've probably already heard this from too many people, but eventually there will be damage that renders the car undrivable. It's not the end of the world, and can usually be set right with some shop time. But if you're depending on the car for your ride home things can get pretty hairy.

If you do decide to do it, I'd suggest beginning now by alternating between crewing for others you know who'll be racing at the same venues and working the races. Be very nice and get to know everyone you possibly can.

Chuck
    I suspect that he will spend the first year or more getting things right locally before he is ready to venture out to out of state races. AAA Plus gets you four tows a year of up to 100 miles for $79/year. This should be more than enough to get him home from MSR. When he does start going a little further, renting a trailer is always an option.

Don't worry too much aboouthow you would get the car home. There's always someone to help. I once left my SM in College Station so I could haul Ony's car back to Fort Worth after it became "immobile"! Now I can haul two, and should be on the track about the same time as you...hoping to run the double regional next month
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Don't worry too much aboouthow you would get the car home. There's always someone to help. I once left my SM in College Station so I could haul Ony's car back to Fort Worth after it became "immobile"! Now I can haul two, and should be on the track about the same time as you...hoping to run the double regional next month
    Now you're covered.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    When he does start going a little further, renting a trailer is always an option.
    And pulling it with what, and going to get the trailer with what?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    With his Jeep Grand Cherokee.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I was thinking this if it was me, I would rent a trailer for race weekends and take the car both ways on it.

I really couldn't have any pity for someone driving 600 miles in their race car to race fender to fender without a contingency plan. They would deserve the thousand dollar tow truck bill.

Thanks Merv,

The plan is to eventually get a trailer, but for starting I'll be driving it.

Yup - the Grand Cherokee will pull it fine... It has almost 215k miles on it and at 212k it went to Jackson, TN and back to tow the car home. Hell, this past weekend I pulled a 3500lb travel trailer to mom's house outside of Paris with the Jeep.

And Titus, I'll be doing things local before I go that far away... and yes, when I go that far away it will be trailered.

Guys, I'm not a professional driver... This is a project for me to see if I can do it and to just have fun with it. I'm doing it to learn more about the car, more about the sport, and to have fun! If I wreck the car, big deal... I'll fix it or use parts off of it to build another one.

RJ

Did you guys getting it running this past weekend?

Or is it still just lawn art.

Thanks Merv,

The plan is to eventually get a trailer, but for starting I'll be driving it.

Yup - the Grand Cherokee will pull it fine... It has almost 215k miles on it and at 212k it went to Jackson, TN and back to tow the car home. Hell, this past weekend I pulled a 3500lb travel trailer to mom's house outside of Paris with the Jeep.RJ
    WOW! Did you have pontoons, or WHAT! :)

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Did you guys getting it running this past weekend?

Or is it still just lawn art.
    Lawn art! But then again, isn't it a prerequisite in Texas to have something non-working in your front yard... either vehicular or some type of appliance?

Every time I turn around I have to buy more tools! I have a collection of torque wrenches now... from 40 in-lbs to 150 ft-lbs.

Once I get the remaining parts (hopefully this week) I'll get it back together and try to start it up.

And Merv, there's a Paris in Texas... the 2nd biggest Paris in the world.

RJ

And Merv, there's a Paris in Texas... the 2nd biggest Paris in the world.
    It even has a scale model of the Eiffel Tower...

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast