Thread: Devil-rain overheating

Default Devil-rain overheating

My car just don't like rain, so here's what happened...

Just driving around all day pretty much, car is totally fine, full of coolant and all. Then this afternoon, hear a rumble/rattle noise for half a second, and car slowly goes to overheating on the temp gauge. I also lose the heater, blowing cold air as the temp is rising. I go to pull into a parking lot and it makes that rattle noise for a second again, I regain heater and temp drops very quickly back to normal, then lose heater shortly after and temp goes back up, luckily I got it home before it got too hot.

Any ideas?

Also whenever it rains my driver's side door lock stops working, the tumbler doesn't move enough to unlock the door, the little lock on the inside just moves a little, then I have to roll down the windows and jiggle the outside latch and the inside at the same time for a while until the door pops open.

I hate problems!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    My car just don't like rain, so here's what happened...

Just driving around all day pretty much, car is totally fine, full of coolant and all. Then this afternoon, hear a rumble/rattle noise for half a second, and car slowly goes to overheating on the temp gauge. I also lose the heater, blowing cold air as the temp is rising. I go to pull into a parking lot and it makes that rattle noise for a second again, I regain heater and temp drops very quickly back to normal, then lose heater shortly after and temp goes back up, luckily I got it home before it got too hot.

Any ideas?

Also whenever it rains my driver's side door lock stops working, the tumbler doesn't move enough to unlock the door, the little lock on the inside just moves a little, then I have to roll down the windows and jiggle the outside latch and the inside at the same time for a while until the door pops open.

I hate problems!
    I'm wondering if you have a water pump that is having shaft bearing issues or an issue with one of your accessory devices that is causing the belt to hang/slip. Any groaning, chirping, grinding, squealing noises from up front?

As for the driver's side lock... you probably need to clean out the old grease & relube the assembly. I had to do that on my old 92 Blue.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Could it be the heater core?
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Could it be the heater core?
    Heater core is just a radiator that the coolant flows through. No mechanical components like that to make the noises he is hearing.

I think it's more likely a waterpump issue.

As for the lock, sounds like water is getting in there and causing something to slip.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Blown water pump, so much for buying a subwoofer!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Well now you have the opportunity to delve into your under-heating problems.

http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=5799

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII
    Blown water pump, so much for buying a subwoofer!
    holy crap, i have a spare! 1.6l water pump, never installed, prolly with gaskets even....

$50, and i can bring it next wednesday meet.