Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me overcome my fear of VWs

Default Help me overcome my fear of VWs

Some of their products are appealing, but I just don't trust the quality. I like the new Jetta GLI, the TDIs and Passats. They look like a good blend of function, style, handling and economy.

I don't want to know a VW mechanic by first name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004

I don't want to know a VW mechanic by first name.
    My roomate now does with his '00 Jetta
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Look at VW's (US) market position: they've got the youth demo locked up. A crowd that cares little about quality or reliability, since they'll have to have the next cool thing when it comes out. What incentive do VW have to improve? Spend that money on catchy ads.

Enough conjecture. My wife has one. Well cared for, low miles, 10 years old. Probably comparable to american, but way more trouble than japanese. Seems like a Special Service Tool is needed for every damn thing. (Either forget about working on it yourself, or buy the SSTs and risk talking yourself into habitual VW purchases to justify said SSTs.)

Never again.

But I'm long-winded and a little bitter. Speedracer said it better.
    Last edited by redmenace; 04-19-2006 at 10:28 AM. Reason: why the hell not?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Hard to beat the Japanese cars on bang-for-the-buck! My wife drives (and loves) her BMW. I don't want one.
    Last edited by sammm; 04-19-2006 at 11:43 AM.

I'm surprised 3bean hasn't chimed in yet.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

What ya need to do is go get yourself a Ford or a Kia or some other sub-par car first, then the VW would seem like a step up!

BTW. Who at your house would be getting the VW??

I like my VW. 50k miles, lifetime avg 45.7 mpg. Broken to date (other than getting rear ended)... 1 brake light switch. Dropped it off at Boardwalk at 9:30 pm, picked it up repaired at 10:15 pm.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I'm surprised 3bean hasn't chimed in yet.
    Yeah, yeah... I know my mechanics name, where he lives, his wife, his military background... hell, I was at his wedding. What's more, the compressor he has at home is the one I bought for him!

But to tell you the truth, I love my VW. The problems can be frustrating at times but vanity always calls me back. Plus, now that I have a rather intimate knowledge of my Passat, I no longer fear doing the repairs myself.

The SST's are just clever tools for doing jobs (if you're as friendly as I am with a VW tech, it's never an issue borrowing those tools...)

We've got two in our garage right now. A 2004 GTI and a 2001 TT. Both have been great cars with no real problems. The timing belt on the TT was done by a mechanic b/c it involved removing the engine from its mounts and hoisting it up to get to everything.

I haven't had either for that long so don't know about long term reliablity. I did have a window regulator go out on the audi, but it wasn't too big of a deal to pop a new one in.

To reply to what Sammm was saying about bimmers, like his wife, I love them. Also, they are easier to work on/maintain than Vdubs (at least the one I owned).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I sold my Audi S4 right before it went out of warranty--there was no way I was going to own it without coverage. Too many little electrical gremlins. Gf sold her Audi TT for the same reason, except her car was twice as bad as mine.

Ask mr. brg (newbie on here) about his Jetta...maybe he can explain to you why he now also drives a Miata...

My opinion---for the premium that VW now dares charge over its Japanese competition, I can't justify the purchase of one. Mediocre reliability at best (hit or miss), substandard service departments and no comprehension of customer service skills, and below average resale values ensure my money goes to Honda/Acura...

Speed

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Hard to beat the Japanese cars on bang-for-the-buck! My wife drives (and loves) her BMW. I don't want one.
    Yep thats me also. O snap.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I was thinking about a new commuter car for Lauren. She teaches at UNT now so she drives about 70 miles a day. The Millenia is at about 80K and doing fine, but something that gets 40mpg would be nice. We also talked about getting her a cheap commuter to rack up the miles on and something fun to pimp around in on the weekends. (no caddies)

The TDIs interest me, plus I like the ability to buy biodiesel.

If I win the lottery, I can get her an e320 CDI Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    We also talked about getting her a cheap commuter to rack up the miles on and something fun to pimp around in on the weekends. (no caddies)
    Much better idea. Buy her a reasonably low-mileage late '90s Civic or Corolla to burn up commuting, and something fun for the weekends. Much smarter than buying a new VW imho.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Much better idea. Buy her a reasonably low-mileage late '90s Civic or Corolla to burn up commuting, and something fun for the weekends. Much smarter than buying a new VW imho.
    What he said!

OK I'm still afraid of VWs! Maybe next decade.

I'm afraid of VWs, too. Although that new GTI is sharp...

S.

Heard lots of horry stories about VWs, but the people I actually know that have them are happy with them... minus one guy who had an old Sciorccio (sp?)

The new TDIs are quite intriguing to me... and at about 23, not a bad deal overal either..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

You see the recent article in Autoweek about fuel economy!

Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast