Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miata virgin.

Default Miata virgin.

I just bought a friend's red 93 base model. The price was decent, so I figured I'd buy it and try autox. My first event will be this Sunday (Aug 15) at Pennington.

The car is gonna be a trailer queen since I really don't wanna spend the buxx for insurance and registration, and I really don't understand what you sporty-car guys get out of driving them daily. Maybe one of you can 'splain it for me.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and get to know the gang. I'll be asking lotsa questions about setup. I intend to run box stock class for a while until I see if I like these wide and heavy vehicles.

Speaking of box stock..... the car came from the dealer with a set of Enkei star design wheels on it. I believe they're the original size - 14x5 (?). Is the SCCA gonna force me into the prepared class just because the wheels are not Mazda stockers?

One last stupid question. The car has a vibration that feels like a bad driveline U-joint. I haven't tested my theory yet, but have any of you experienced this type of failure on your M1's?
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Miata virgin.

Driving a Miata's *gotta* be preferable to anything that can pull a trailer carrying one. (Goldwing?) Besides, if you want to drag knee you can always open the door.

Factory wheels for 93 are 14x5.5 -- dunno 'bout offset. You can probably get away with running stock for now, but once you start kickin' butt the crybabies will force you to toe the line on regs.

If the vibe occurs around freeway speeds, it's a documented characteristic of (early) Miatas. Light weight, short wheelbase, open cockpit, and VERY sensitive to wheel roundness and balance. The last item might be the first thing you want to try.

Anyway, welcome! (And nice sig. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it!)

Thanks for the info. Will check out all the vibe sources and double check the wheel size.

You sorta guessed right about the bikes. Both of mine make more horses than the Miata. One of them could indeed tow it. (The other is pure crotchrocket.)

Sure you can borrow the sig..... I sorta borrowed it from the 12 steppers..
    Hello, my name is OUTRACE and I'm a motorcyclist. It has been zero days since my last ride.

Welcome to the forum, OUTRACE. Look for the Team Cheap Bastard tent city when you get to Pennington Sunday morning - it'll be near a cluster of Miatas and small utility trailers. We like to use the Miata as the tow vehicle, not the vehicle being towed.

Ask away, and we'll try to answer your questions as well as possible. One thing about wheels, the rule in SCCA Stock class states that the wheels must be the same diameter and width as factory stock for that year. option package, etc., with an offset within +/- .25" of factory. Here is a link to a recent copy of the full SCCA Solo II Stock category ruleset.

In the real world, however, no one is going to get bent out of shape at the Regional level if your wheels aren't 100% Stock-legal. Heck, I'll use my own car as an example - I've removed the sun visors and added a front splitter, both of which are technically illegal for Stock. However, at the local level my competitors recognize that neither of these alterations offer a competitive advantage (one allows me to see stoplights, the other protects the paint on my legal front airdam), so no one is going to pull a weenie protest just for a little local trophy chip.

Big events are a different story, however. I removed the splitter and reinstalled the visors when I went down to Houston for the National Tour, for example, 'cause when there is potential contingency money involved, it would suck to lose a trophy spot over a minor technicality.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

If the car is legal right now, drive it for a couple days and you might understand why it would make a great daily driver (atleast on the %1 of days in TX when riding a bike isn't the best).

What kinda bikes do you have?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Thanks for the tech notes guys. I just got back from a business trip and will check the rim size later today.

For those who wanna know, I have an '04 Yamaha R1 and an '04 Yamaha FJR1300.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by OUTRACE
    '04 Yamaha FJR1300.
    mmmmm...FJR1300! That was on my wish list before I got out of the 2-wheel world last year. '99 VFR800 was my last bike.

Hmmm.... two wheelers seem to be a common historical feature here.

I hope Miatadom doesn't make me get rid of my scooters.......

Doubtful, although I do miss taking some turns on the full lean.... but, I, personally, have more of a blast on these four wheels!

I checked my rim size. Unfortunately they're 14x6 so I know I'll have to get another set pretty soon. I'll probably go with a set of stockers, since going in the 'prepared' direction isn't educational or financially responsible.

I'm trying the car thing mostly because I did several years of this, and I have the Xrays to prove it.

Nice.

My former bike was a 99 YZF 600 that I shared with my bro. He got hit by a 15 yo last year and we haven't boughten a replacement yet.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Doubtful, although I do miss taking some turns on the full lean.... but, I, personally, have more of a blast on these four wheels!
    OK. I'm trying to picture 3bean on a bike right after getting kicked out of the semminary:

Moderator(TC): Images removed. Please drive through.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Outrace, that's the great thing about racing cages. You're much less likely to break any body parts.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Outrace, that's the great thing about racing cages. You're much less likely to break any body parts.
    Yeah, but cages lean the wrong way. I'm afraid I'll get vertigo!

Ive never fallen off of my car either...

Default Re: Miata virgin.

I just bought a friend's red 93 base model. The price was decent, so I figured I'd buy it and try autox. My first event will be this Sunday (Aug 15) at Pennington.
    Just let us know how we can help! We normally meet up at the McDonald's across from Pennington Field just before the event!

I run ES so let me know if I can be of any help!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane

Then I've got to wonder why he went into the semminary in the first place??? Was it because his beans just didn't measure up???

Hey now, don't forget, there is a reason why women prefer hot and spicy Latin lovers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast