Thread: Back from away

Default Back from away

I'm back from my whirlwind trip across the country. I went to the Solo II National championships in Topeka, KS, the SWC Touring Car race in Atlanta, and the Petit le Mans ALMS race in Atlanta. I guess you guys saw the results from nationals, it was ok. The touring car race would have been ok had it not been for my accident. There is more to the story than I can type, but while in atlanta the tip of my left middle finger had to be amputated after being crushed badly. Its gone from the last nuckle. It hurts like a mofo and I'm almost out of drugs. Typing is slow, and hurts so I probably won't post much for a while. I have to go see another surgeon tomorrow for a check up. Le mans was sweet, especially w/ the drugs they gave me. I'm pretty depressed that I may never really be able to play guitar again. Anyway, it could have been worse.

Cliff notes: I'm back, lost part of a finger, drugs are good, amputations are bad, American le Mans is sweet.

Wow, I am sure some will ask, but we will be ok without pictures! Sorry to hear about, but as long as you have drugs you should be ok, right guys?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Re: Back from away

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Cliff notes: I'm back, lost part of a finger, drugs are good, amputations are bad, American le Mans is sweet.
    Damn Evil! Sorry to hear about the finger. Glad to hear about the drugs! Let us know if you need help with anything!

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your accident, Evil. Was this trackside, or on the street?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It was at the track, working on one of the world challenge cars. I'm almost out of drugs and the Dr in GA can't call an RX over state lines and I don't see the Dr here until wed morning. I have a feeling tues is going to suck.

I don't suppose any of you know of any hand surgeons who could fit me in today or tomorrow do you?

I'll take some pics when I change the dressing later today. Its pretty weird looking. You should have seen it in th ER....the bone and nail sticking out of a mangled pile of flesh. I was conscious during the surgery. I could hear them cutting away the bone with some snips. Eww. Crunch crunch.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    I'm almost out of drugs and the Dr in GA can't call an RX over state lines and I don't see the Dr here until wed morning. I have a feeling tues is going to suck.
    How about going to the ER at a local hospital? They should be able to issue you a new Rx for pain.

An urgent care facility , such as Care Now, usually costs less than the ER, and the wait is not as long.

Let me call my SO. She works at a surgery center in Hurst and may know of someone that could get you in earlier. I'll PM you with what I find.

I got some emailer php error when sending the PM. Just let me know if you didn't get the names and phone numbers.

I didn't get anything brock, you can email me at [email protected]. I can make it through without if necessary. I have a high threshold for pain, but nobody likes to be uncomfortable.

The bandage is quite thick on the end.....

I was just thinking, you wont be able to flip the bird as effectivley anymore...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I was just thinking, you wont be able to flip the bird as effectivley anymore...
    Hey it's not the size that matters!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you find the dope.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I would think you'd be fine except for the part about having to give up the guitar hobby.... Sorry about the mis-hap. (Switch to drums now?)
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

I finally redid my dressing. This is the first time I've really been able to look at it and poke around. The sensations are pretty weird.

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

wait you can't flip some one the bird ( you know the finger, yes goose i know the what the finger is, oh i'm sorry i hate when that happens) no seriously how will you drive? i mean flipping someone off is such an important aspect of driving in dfw how will you cope.

In all seriousness < i 'm in nursing school and i have about 9 years er experience, Go to an urgent care clinic and they will re issue the Rx it will
    proballly be something like this

and they will probaly prescribe an antibiotic as well, if not it would be prudent to ask

If you need any help with anthing let me know i 'm in between jobs right now so I have a lot of free time

rory

Yeah, I was on antibiotics for a week after it happened. I went to the dr yesterday for a checkup. All is well. He gave me more drugs and told me to come back monday to get my stiches out. I'm also supposed to start flexing it some and exercising it.

Its feeling better but still hurts bad from time to time. I'm sick of bring drugged up, but I would rather be stoned than uncomfortably in pain.

How are you doing with the "phantom sensations" that your fingertip is cold but not there?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    How are you doing with the "phantom sensations" that your fingertip is cold but not there?
    I've only had little hints of that a couple times. It wasn't even really enough for me to comment on it. What I do have is the sensation that when I touch the tip of my finger, I'm toching both sides, simultaneously. The skin from the two sides is basically folded together. The skin that used to be sides is now tip. The skin doesn't know that it's moved so th nerves still say 'side' when they're touched, not tip as they should. I've heard that eventually they usually re-wire themselves.